The Baby Has A Name: Xbox One

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Thank goodness, a device that can finally allow me to watch ESPN, or chat with my friends on Skype. If only some sort of popular box like devices had been previously created that could allow us to do these things, those guys would have made a fortune, I mean, there'd pretty much literally be one in every house, making a secondary device that does exactly the same thing completely irrelevant for that purpose.

Sarcasm AWAY!

Remember when the advantage of a games console was having all it's RAM and processing power devoted solely to games? What happened to that idea?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Wow, typical Escapist, judge something on the name, and not what it can do.

Did anyone see COD: Ghosts? OMFG! And this is coming from someone who has still has a bad taste after MW3.

It can obviously play games, they are just highlighting the fact it can do other things, what else can they say other than "it plays games better than the 360" -.- Face it, it's a multimedia entertainment system, you don't HAVE to watch anything if you don't want to, I'll probably download Netflix and leave it at that.

And at least they quelled the "Always Connected" Rumours, although going by nearly every response here, i doubt anyone was paying attention.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Who on earth thought having a "console" that can flick from a playing game to TV to music with just a word was a good selling point? Really? Who the fek wants to be in the middle of a tense expirance in a game for someone to come into the room and call for the TV coz their show just started? This is not the a games console, this is a pointless middle man between a top setbox and tv. In one year it will look very old indeed compared to smart tv's. I've been with Xbox since the brick came out over ten years ago. I've owned 5 xboxes over that period. This will not be added to that collection. I am not impressed with Microsoft. Not that they would care. Still the memories were good.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Compared to the PS4 presentation, this feels... anemic. I'm not talking about the actual conference, I have no idea what went on during it. I'm talking about the Escapist coverage. There is one article about it... where as the PS4 had a live feed link and practically EVERY SINGLE BULLET POINT A POST. Either people have missed this conference, or the hype really isn't there for this console... I admit I'm a Sony guy, and only looked this up since it was there. I have to say people who were complaining that they haven't seen the PS4 or about the teasers... great to know when we do see a new console. Looks like, as everyone points out "a VCR". and the name? I would have called the original Xbox the "Xbox One". This is the literal example of one step forward and two steps back. What next? are we going to call the next one the Xbox 5? What happened to 4? we'll cover that in the generation after.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
I have nothing all that enlightening to add to the conversation here by the looks of it, so I'll quickly mention one thing;

Sony's stock just went up 8%.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
what if a single box could provide all your entertainment?
It can't. So... not interested. I'd like something that plays some games, not watches TV for me.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Something directed at the "lol looks like a VCR" people; did you not perhaps think they're going with function before form? It would certainly be a logical step, to allay fears of overheating.

Although I hope the thing won't be a damn fingerprint magnet.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
dragongit said:
Compared to the PS4 presentation, this feels... anemic. I'm not talking about the actual conference, I have no idea what went on during it. I'm talking about the Escapist coverage. There is one article about it... where as the PS4 had a live feed link and practically EVERY SINGLE BULLET POINT A POST. Either people have missed this conference, or the hype really isn't there for this console... I admit I'm a Sony guy, and only looked this up since it was there. I have to say people who were complaining that they haven't seen the PS4 or about the teasers... great to know when we do see a new console. Looks like, as everyone points out "a VCR". and the name? I would have called the original Xbox the "Xbox One". This is the literal example of one step forward and two steps back. What next? are we going to call the next one the Xbox 5? What happened to 4? we'll cover that in the generation after.
That is true, there wasn't any real coverage that I noticed on this thing here. I honestly forgot the conference was today until somebody posted the link to it in the thread.

JokerboyJordan said:
Although I hope the thing won't be a damn fingerprint magnet.
Judging by how shiny it looks, I think it will be.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
They been saying all day, this press conference was to show off the machine, the E3 Press Conference is to show off the games.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
BETA MAX!!...........oh wait.

Nah, whats with this Tottenham Hotspur away kit design?

Plus a blu ray drive? Does this mean they're paying Sony for its use, as I'm assuming Sony still has the rights to leasing that tech.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
JokerboyJordan said:
Here's the specs in case anyone didn't see.

Interesting and pretty nice tbh. Blue-ray player and oct-core! The only problem is that it reminds me of my PS3... This generation seems to be getting weirder and weirder. o_O

The third xbox, aka "Xbox One", reminds me of a PS3 while Nintendo realised they forgot to tell the causals they got a new console and not just a new controller. Will the PS4 suddenly use three analog sticks or what? No wait! It will have a single one in the middle like a N64 controller! :D

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Oh sweet mercy, I just realized how similar this thing looks to the Phillips CDi. We are all doomed! It's come back to seek vengeance for all the videos out there making fun of its games!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't care about the name or the design. What I care about is the actual hardware and it's capabilities. And there is nothing exciting about this piece of [probably overpriced] crap.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
So, how many of those features are actually available outside of the U.S.?
Will we get it cheaper if we can't use everything where we live?

Edit: "the new Xbox becomes the next watercooler"... What?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
JokerboyJordan said:
Tank207 said:
And I thought "WiiU" was a bad name.

I wonder how many people are going to get confused by this and think it's a re-release of the original Xbox.
Even though it's hardly a great name, I sincerely doubt they will, the original Xbox wasn't for casuals like the Wii.
Never underestimate the uninformed. It's happened with other consoles in the past.

When the SNES first came out people thought it was just an expensive peripheral for the NES. There were a lot of confused parents/grandparents that Christmas.

I remember people even being confused when the PSX was re-released as the PSone.

Kazam24a

Oct 17, 2011
Tank207 said:
And I thought "WiiU" was a bad name.

I wonder how many people are going to get confused by this and think it's a re-release of the original Xbox.
I agree... first thing that popped into my head was the HTC One...

Donzacuceron

Sep 22, 2012
arc1991 said:
Wow, typical Escapist, judge something on the name, and not what it can do.

Did anyone see COD: Ghosts? OMFG! And this is coming from someone who has still has a bad taste after MW3.

It can obviously play games, they are just highlighting the fact it can do other things, what else can they say other than "it plays games better than the 360" -.- Face it, it's a multimedia entertainment system, you don't HAVE to watch anything if you don't want to, I'll probably download Netflix and leave it at that.

And at least they quelled the "Always Connected" Rumours, although going by nearly every response here, i doubt anyone was paying attention.
Wait is it always on or not I heard cloud and connected a lot.I got kind of worried in fact I still am.When did they say you can play offline