The Baldur's Gate Countdown Begins!

Robertus2210

Apr 8, 2010
Baldur's Gate 2 sits forever attop my ''best games evah!'' list, wich is why i worry about number 3.

Just calling it baldur's gate 3 will not make it as good as baldur's gate 1 & 2. and it's so-called spiritual successor dragon age was pretty good but still a step down.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
nikki191 said:
Yureina said:
Baldur's Gate II ended pretty decisively... I doubt it's a third game.

I wonder what this is all about... O_O
i am wondering the same.. how exactly do you make a 3rd game from that? new character? striped of powers?
Two things:

1. While the site does seem to imply connection to the original games, it's important to note that "Baldur's Gate" was already the recipient of some unattached products using the name. The whole "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance" series (two games) which were decent Action-RPGs for their time given the limits on consoles.

Being the name of a city in The Forgotten Realms setting, they could technically justify anything set in the region being "Baldur's Gate"... but there would be no need to referance Alaundo and so on in connection to that I wouldn't think so it's unlikely that it will be an entirely new property/storyline that happens to use the name to bolster sales.

2. If they are going to be doing a liscenced D&D product understand that a LOT has changed in The Forgotten Realms since the time of 2nd Edition AD&D, which is what Baldur's Gate was based on. TWO editions of the game have come since then, and with each addition there were major changes to The Forgotten Realms. With 3rd Edition we pretty much had Faerun overrun by Shaughin, and Baldur's Gate got pretty much leveled with most of it's leadership being killed off if I remember. With 4th Edition another major cataclysm leveled the world to the point of it prett much going "dark" for all intents and purposes (long story). Along the way we've seen the entire magical cosmology re-arranged since the writers just can't bother to leave the Goddess Of Magic alone (she's been replaced again), and now in addition to a magical weave, there is a "Shadow Weave" being run by the Goddess Shar... and well, it gets bloody insane.

The thing is that within the context of Realmslore, and the way it's been connected to the old school Planescape setting, I can see a number of ways we could see the Bhaalspawn, even the dead ones, being returned and so on. Not to mention how with all of the changes to magic and celestrial rearrangements going on how we might see some kind of loophole creating more progeny of Bhaal despite his demise as he attempts to return himself to existance again (assuming he hasn't been brought back someplace... I haven't followed it too heavily, in which case all he needs to do is get randy again before someone knocks him off a second time... I mean this is The Forgotten Realms).

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
If it is Baldurs Gate 3 it's better not reduced to Biowares dialoge wheels.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
I'm hoping that this is something good like a high def update, with customisable character models.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Im one of the (I would think many) others who actually hasnt played BG 1&2. Don't get me wrong, RPG's are in my DNA and my favorites among them include Dragon Age: Origins and I knew it was the spiritual successor so I'll have to admit, Im excited as well.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
well given that they screwed up the setting with the new edition what harm could this do

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Jaeke said:
Im one of the (I would think many) others who actually hasnt played BG 1&2. Don't get me wrong, RPG's are in my DNA and my favorites among them include Dragon Age: Origins and I knew it was the spiritual successor so I'll have to admit, Im excited as well.
Paradox detected; cant say you have RPGs in your DNA if you've never played BG 1&2. I advise you go to gog.com now and get at least BG2, its cheap and you wont regret it.

Whether this new game is an HD re-release, a shine & polish or a whole new game, I think Ill be happy. I sunk so many hours into BG2 in particular and I have a general love for the series as a whole - bring on the miniature giant space hamsters.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Fasckira said:
Jaeke said:
Paradox detected; cant say you have RPGs in your DNA if you've never played BG 1&2. I advise you go to gog.com now and get at least BG2, its cheap and you wont regret it.

Whether this new game is an HD re-release, a shine & polish or a whole new game, I think Ill be happy. I sunk so many hours into BG2 in particular and I have a general love for the series as a whole - bring on the miniature giant space hamsters.
I bet he hasn't played Fallout 1&2 either ! Damn youngsters! -Shakes cane-

OT: I can't see the clock?

nyttyn

Sep 9, 2008
I continue to believe that Baldur's Gate's HD super DLC edition is the only possible explanation and thus look forward to the wild screams of incoherent rage that will inevitably begin at 3 pm EST, when the money-grubbing HD re-release of the greatest Dungeons & Dragons CRPG of all time is announced to the world
Fixed that for you.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Realitycrash said:
I bet he hasn't played Fallout 1&2 either ! Damn youngsters! -Shakes cane-
*grumbles in unison and leaves to collect his pension*

Also, FYI, if you're doing a gog.com shop then add Arcanum to that list...

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
After all the hype if its anything less than BG3, old school over the top, party based RPG...

There will be rage.

A tidal wave of rage sweeping away all those who raised hopes...

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I think I'd pass on BG3 but lord knows I'd kill for a HD makeover for the first two. Maybe they could slap them both together ala the Tutu mod. All I know if it's something like a Facebook game or some such thing I say we riot!

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
That music...stirs up so many memories...

I really do not want to be messed around by this, so here's hoping we get something both tangible and 100% awesome.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I really hope it's a Baldur's Gate 3 but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'm not getting myself all worked up and then spending the rest of the day crying when they announce Baldur's Gate Facebook Edition.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I doubt anyone would make a countdown to Baldur's Gate pack. New game is the most logical assumption. But we've been disappointed in the past so it could be just a god damn HD pack.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I really hope it's a Baldur's Gate 3 but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'm not getting myself all worked up and then spending the rest of the day crying when they announce Baldur's Gate Facebook Edition.
"You must invite 20 friends before venturing forth."

*shudder*

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
I believe it to be one of two Things. Either a HD Re-release, basicly a whole new Engine and the game merely being ported over 1:1 exactly.

Or a Reboot. And no, not a retcon, no rewrite, just starting over from Scratch, telling the Story perhaps from a different Point of view or something.

I just cant see BG3 happening, it ended. You were the last of the Bhaalspawn and you could either become God, or turn away from that Power, essentially killing the lord of murder. You cant play a God, would be stupid, and you cant simply keep the Story going with a essentially mortal Character who has no relation to the old Plot anymore at this point.

So yeah, HD Re-release or a Reboot of the Series.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
Blunderboy said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
"You must invite 20 friends before venturing forth."

*shudder*

you sir made me lol. thank you so much :p
worst thing is, i could hear it while reading.

anyway, i dont believe in a sequel, and if there will be a sequel i doubt it will be good. imho bg ended well enough.
hd re-release on the other hand.... with all the cut content re-added, some additions..... yeah, i could see that happening. as long as they dont go 3d.

oh well, anything i can say is pure speculation, it might as well mean they will start selling Boo-plushies. or Minsc-plushies. with a hidden compartment for Boo-plushie.

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
Ive heard some suggest a prequel, which isnt a bad idea I guess...

Personally I just want another BG rpg not directly tied to BG1 or BG2, and maybe a few cameos.

Is that too much to ask?