The Baldur's Gate Countdown Begins!

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
I can't wait to see this. After Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate was my favourite Bioware series, but whereas Mass Effect hit me for cinematic reasons, Baldur's Gate hit me for the pure ballseyness and originality it gave at the time. Everything was much more mysterious, even the romances were hidden and were awarded through roleplay.

Loved Baldur's Gate, can't wait to see what's going to happen next :D

Inithra

Jun 15, 2011
I'm really excited by this, but I have never ever completed either of the BG games or their expansions. I own (somewhere) a set with both and the expansions on DVD, rather than the original 6-10CD's, but one of the discs didn't actually work.
I have played the first one for several hours, eventually getting to the city, but just didn't finish it.

Still, really excited. Love me some old school top-down (isometric?) RPG. Especially the Black Isle stuff. Icewind Dale (both) and Planescape: Torment are some of my favourite games ever.

Right. Have to finish ME3 now, then I will find a way to install and complete both BG1 and 2.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
nikki191 said:
Yureina said:
Baldur's Gate II ended pretty decisively... I doubt it's a third game.

I wonder what this is all about... O_O
i am wondering the same.. how exactly do you make a 3rd game from that? new character? striped of powers?
Guys, I don't think this is a BG3, but if it waaaaas, here is the answer to your question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate_(series)#Baldur.27s_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I'm almost certain Wizards of the Coast won't sign off on a DnD based game unless it uses the most modern ruleset. So if it's new, its more than likely going to have to use 4th edition rules.

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
Mike Kayatta said:
nikki191 said:
Yureina said:
Baldur's Gate II ended pretty decisively... I doubt it's a third game.

I wonder what this is all about... O_O
i am wondering the same.. how exactly do you make a 3rd game from that? new character? striped of powers?
Guys, I don't think this is a BG3, but if it waaaaas, here is the answer to your question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate_(series)#Baldur.27s_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound
Always makes me sad reading that. It would have been a great game.

At first I didnt think it was BG3 also. But all the meeting with Atari and Wizards of the Coast... A guy can dream right?

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Remake, sequel, prequel, port, even just an anniversary edition with some cool bonus stuff, I'm all ears. This is one of few games I care about enough to re-buy, especially since I lost my original disks and I'm stuck with a friend's copy with a no-CD patch.

Mayhemski

Feb 21, 2012
New game maybe but as the "Baldurs Gate" title has so much resonance as a game all it has to be is a totally new story set around the city. If the mechanics are the same could work and keep the fans happy.

Though honestly I doubt that it would be a straight 1-1 take on any rule-set sadly in this day and age, limiting player growth to only a few levels (compared to other RPG's) would be very strange for large tracts of the game playing masses....

Then again it could be a FPS called Baldurs Gate *shudder*...ok going to go and wash my brain out with bleach...

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm really trying not to get my hopes up, but
[HEADING=2]OMG only 4.5 hours left!!![/HEADING]

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
From the new source code:

Also, the music being played is from http://www.beamdog.com/files/overhaul/theme.mp3 . It's "The Dream", by Michael Hoenig from the soundtrack of the first Baldur's Gate.

I believe it's going to be a HD remake.

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
If its a HD remake iOS port...

Thatll suck.

Cant we get a kickstarter going for Baldurs Gate? I like what I am seeing with Wasteland 2.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Fr said:
anc[is]I'm almost certain Wizards of the Coast won't sign off on a DnD based game unless it uses the most modern ruleset. So if it's new, its more than likely going to have to use 4th edition rules.
I love roleplaying and enjoyed the hell out of the Neverwinter games, but I've never cared to learn about the rulesets behind the D&D games. I hear 4 dumbed it all down, removed a bunch of stuff (including classes?) and everyone hates it. Thoughts?

I should get around to buying BG1 and 2. Never bothered. But I also just started replaying KotOR 1 again. And I never finished Fallout 1. Or 2. And I'm playing Old Republic too. Bah! So much to play!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah, I never played Baludur's Gate, but my faith in Bioware has kind of been ruined. I'm gonna give this a miss. (hey that rymed)

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Im more inclined to believe its a BG2 remake/HD version; the background music on the website is located in a folder called "overhaul" and I just noticed the background image is made up of all the character portraits from BG2.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
A countdown? It's on now!

After all the fuss they're making about this damn announcement, this better be good, or Minsc will have some more butts to kick.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
I love roleplaying and enjoyed the hell out of the Neverwinter games, but I've never cared to learn about the rulesets behind the D&D games. I hear 4 dumbed it all down, removed a bunch of stuff (including classes?) and everyone hates it. Thoughts?
From what I've gathered 4e eliminates the problem of wizards/clerics/druids being able to completely roflstomp everything and that non casters become dead weight beyond mid levels. It is also supposed to be easier to learn. On the other hand it shoehorns classes into tank/dps/support categories and makes the basic mechanics of each class the same.

Shanannara

Apr 7, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
I've played 4th Ed and really enjoyed it. Some things have been simplified, which generally have made an improvement. The only other one I've used has been 2nd Ed so I can't comment on 3rd or 3.5. 2nd Ed had the armour class improving by going down. So an AC of 0 was better than 4. It made for some really annoying maths when figuring out whether you could hit something or not. Also fighters are so much better. They can do other things rather than just "I hit it with my axe", yay! The power cards are a bit annoying and do take some getting used to initially. I really like the fact that though that after a certain level, you stop getting new ones and instead the ones you've got improve.

OT: Baldur's Gate is by far my favourite game. It made me the geek I am today. What I'm really hoping is that any new game will have the same modding capabilities as the previous two. The modding community is fantastic and the new additions to an already great game is what makes me replay it so much.