The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
slipknot4 said:
Lord Krunk said:
slipknot4 said:
Great, my post was the example of a Probation...
Someone's got to be the example, and yours was the first I came across. On the bright side, you know you've made a valuable contribution to a sticky.
berethond said:
Krunk, your permaban example post has been 404'd.
Just thought I'd let you know.
What? Necro's post died? Damn, now I'll have to find another good example.

Thanks for the tip.
No, i am honoured... i am the example of what is wrong with these forums and that is... special...
I was originally going to use my own Probation post, but it's been 404'd for a long, long time. Shame, really.

Updates Ahoy!

7/7/09: Changed link to Ban example to that of The Volume, as it is a better example than Mobius'. Rated PG for Coarse Language and Adult Themes.
Meh... i hope it stays that way, i sorta like it...
Was a surprise that my name popped up on the Probation example

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
slipknot4 said:
Meh... i hope it stays that way, i sorta like it...
Was a surprise that my name popped up on the Probation example
Don't worry, it'll stick around until the Zero Punctuation: Halo Wars comments thread gets 404'd. I don't see that happening any time soon, so you're set.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
What? Necro's post died? Damn, now I'll have to find another good example.

Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome, and I see you've found another example.
Good job.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Here are some thread categories that areal but sure to receive a lock:

Vs. Threads: Who would win in a fight: A or B? Which is better: X or Y? These are dull, repetitive, and are surefire ways to start a flame war. All three things that The Escapist does not wish to be recognised as.
It looks like this rule needs to be changed, or at least be set apart from the trolling/advertiesement/pointless threads.

Example: Sharks [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.123538#2517876]

The_root_of_all_evil said:
woem said:
So, euh, this is a versus thread created by a yellow username?

Straight from the banhammer handbook:

Here are some thread categories that areal but sure to receive a lock:

* Vs. Threads: Who would win in a fight: A or B? Which is better: X or Y? These are dull, repetitive, and are surefire ways to start a flame war. All three things that The Escapist does not wish to be recognised as.
Nope, this is a "fun" thread, created in the "off-topic" section that looks at a wide number of areas that aren't really likely to impede on anyone's deeply held beliefs.

That's usually what the Escapist likes to be known for, and not just tattletales who could have easily just used the report button.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
woem said:
It depends on the case. The 'VS Threads' I was referring to were, for the most part, trolling; the sort of 'Halo vs Half-Life' or 'Xbox vs 360' kind of controversy. This thread wasn't intended to be offensive, but I doubt that it would have lasted that long if the OP had a black username.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
woem said:
It depends on the case. The 'VS Threads' I was referring to were, for the most part, trolling; the sort of 'Halo vs Half-Life' or 'Xbox vs 360' kind of controversy. This thread wasn't intended to be offensive, but I doubt that it would have lasted that long if the OP had a black username.
*Edit* I'm glad to see that this particular thread also got locked, although it did indeed last very long.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
harhol said:
scotth266 said:
As I recall...
Ahhh right, thanks for the clarification. I thought there must be more to it than just one post.

Didn't realise Richard Groovy Pants had been permabanned as well.

=(
I stopped posting for a month and returned only to discover everyone I actually like had been banned.

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
you rolled a one said:
thanks this info will help me and meny others avoid being baned
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/baned

Never thee worry, young squire! Killing by poison has since been replaced by 4channing you out of these forums.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Wow. They finally got Indigo. I generally don't browse the site any more because it makes me feel like that kid at the end of Battle Royale (albeit without cute chick acompaniment)

S53

Jul 18, 2009
I'm new around here, and would like to mention something to staff.

I've seen a big lack of communication between users and the mods. For example, a thread is locked. But there is no post stating the reason or how long it will be locked. Now, reading through most of these threads can give you a pretty good idea of why it's locked but I believe it would be awesome for moderators to have a heightened community presence.

I like how you keep up the posts and the content of them from the people being disciplined. It shows what will be accepted and what won't be accepted in the community. This method also serves as a deterrence sine a lot of people don't like their mistakes being broadcast to the world.

I believe there should be a slightly heavier mod presence as well, but more leniency. Staff needs to know when to ban and when to say "Hey, no more of this in this thread on my forum. If I see it again, suspensions will occur." Firm but fair, right?

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Please don't crucify me.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
S53 said:
I've seen a big lack of communication between users and the mods. For example, a thread is locked. But there is no post stating the reason or how long it will be locked.
This has been pretty bad the past 12 hours or so. When you get about 6 or 7 threads locked with no explanation, I think it's kind of unacceptable. You aren't helping people, especially new users understand why threads are locked when you leave no explanation. I just looked at the front page, there's like 6 list threads on there! Do you guys shut down list threads or not?

Generally, you do a great job, and I'm very appreciative of you keeping order around here, and have never once questioned you guys. It seems lately that things around here have been taking a turn for the worse, and I for one would like to see more consistency in what threads get closed and what stay open.

Also, a question: When you send a PM to a mod, or report a user from their profile for inappropriate content, when do you guys generally get back to people? Is there a specific day or time frame, or is it just when you have the free time?

S53

Jul 18, 2009
Exactly, chronobreak. I've recently come from a forum that banned around 119 members due to a lack of communication. It always starts small, and ends huge. Consider that my prophetical statement of the year. :D

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
chronobreak said:
S53 said:
I've seen a big lack of communication between users and the mods. For example, a thread is locked. But there is no post stating the reason or how long it will be locked.
This has been pretty bad the past 12 hours or so. When you get about 6 or 7 threads locked with no explanation, I think it's kind of unacceptable. You aren't helping people, especially new users understand why threads are locked when you leave no explanation. I just looked at the front page, there's like 6 list threads on there! Do you guys shut down list threads or not?

Generally, you do a great job, and I'm very appreciative of you keeping order around here, and have never once questioned you guys. It seems lately that things around here have been taking a turn for the worse, and I for one would like to see more consistency in what threads get closed and what stay open.

Also, a question: When you send a PM to a mod, or report a user from their profile for inappropriate content, when do you guys generally get back to people? Is there a specific day or time frame, or is it just when you have the free time?
Sometimes it can be obvious why they were locked (Stuff like that "Talk about whatever the hell you want" thread) that either generate little or no discussion or threads that either just turn into flame wars or have obvious flame bait, or sometimes even threads that just get derailed. I do agree with you though, there have been a lot of locked threads without reasoning, but sometimes there is little reasoning needed for a thread to be locked.

Oh, and from what I know, they usually get back just when they're online so that they can look at the reports.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Wow. They finally got Indigo. I generally don't browse the site any more because it makes me feel like that kid at the end of Battle Royale (albeit without cute chick acompaniment)
And here I was about to get excited that we have you back.

Guess not. Hrm. [Heavy Voice] You were credit to team Carter. Mother Russia would be proud.

S53

Jul 18, 2009
Zombie_Fish said:
chronobreak said:
S53 said:

Sometimes it can be obvious why they were locked (Stuff like that "Talk about whatever the hell you want" thread) that either generate little or no discussion or threads that either just turn into flame wars or have obvious flame bait, or sometimes even threads that just get derailed. I do agree with you though, there have been a lot of locked threads without reasoning, but sometimes there is little reasoning needed for a thread to be locked.

Oh, and from what I know, they usually get back just when they're online so that they can look at the reports.
I'm aware of that, and said that I know it's sometimes obvious. However, this isn't always the reason. Even a mod posting at the end of thread stating "Thread Closed for Staff Review" is good enough for me.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
This site walks a good line between stopping bad posts/ threads and being too constrictive. We may have a few more vigiliante type comments on threads being locked but it's a good community we have here.

The rules were really well set out too. It's good to have a reference as to where the line is between probation, suspension and ban.

Code_Red

Jun 25, 2009
I found this thread very helpful, and it cleared up a few things about probations and suspensions for me.Thanks

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
[HEADING=2]Probations: Tier 3[/HEADING]​
(1 Day)
(3 Days)
(7 Days)
(14 Days)
Krunk, could you update the probation section to include 365 day probations? It's also worth mentioning that you can get a permanent probation.