The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
Hey sky, I have a question. My friend Shadowstar38 seems to have been perma-banned and I was just wondering why as there doesn't seem to be a link to him breaking the rules. I'm not pleading anything but I'm just curious if you have any idea why he got banned. Thanks.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Yokillernick said:
Hey sky, I have a question. My friend Shadowstar38 seems to have been perma-banned and I was just wondering why as there doesn't seem to be a link to him breaking the rules. I'm not pleading anything but I'm just curious if you have any idea why he got banned. Thanks.
He created an alternate account, while under a suspension, whose intent it was to troll the forums.

The alternate and original are therefore both banned.

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
Marter said:
Yokillernick said:
He created an alternate account, while under a suspension, whose intent it was to troll the forums.

The alternate and original are therefore both banned.
Well, well. Still thanks for checking it just seemed really weird. And now I wait for his RPs to die down before I 'commandeer' them *insert evil laugh*. Thank you again.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm not sure where to post this without seeming silly but there're a couple of badges I seem to be lacking despite meeting the requirements... the Chatty badge for 100+ posts and all the forum-wandering badges... It's been quite some time now, so it's not like I'm being impatient about it, was just wondering what am I doing wrong or at least could somebody please direct me to the proper thread/forum?

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm not sure where to post this without seeming silly but there're a couple of badges I seem to be lacking despite meeting the requirements... the Chatty badge for 100+ posts and all the forum-wandering badges... It's been quite some time now, so it's not like I'm being impatient about it, was just wondering what am I doing wrong or at least could somebody please direct me to the proper thread/forum?
You can direct your question to the tech team [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team]

It seems to happen sometimes[footnote]I got the forum inferno badge while back I don't even know what thread it was for[/footnote], you won't get badges for awhile, especially with ones you earn through forum actions :)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Lucem712 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
You can direct your question to the tech team [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team]

It seems to happen sometimes[footnote]I got the forum inferno badge while back I don't even know what thread it was for[/footnote], you won't get badges for awhile, especially with ones you earn through forum actions :)
Thanks! On with my much ado about nothing quest.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Cactus Frankie said:
Warning Details
Post: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.397620.16250003
Reason: Please do not insult moderators or Staff. If you don\'t like the site, leave.
Fuck you. I will relentlessly insult anyone who is a rape apologist or white knights a rape apologist. If you think your status as the moderator of an Internet forum (lol, what an accomplishment, your parents must be so proud) makes you part of some special class of people whose bullshit can't be called out, you are mistaken. You are also mistaken if you think these warnings are going to intimidate anyone older than 10.

Did you just make a racist/sexist remark or post something that may offend someone, even if it wasn't intended towards the rest of the community? Well, you might be in the running to receive one Grade A probation, courtesy of our friends the Mods!
But who moderates the moderators? Looks like they're free to be as offensive as they want to.
The staff moderate the moderators. If you have a problem with a moderation decision then that's what the appeal system is for.

From the code of conduct;
Have Respect for Others
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no one is entitled to attack others for sharing, or not sharing, that opinion. If you can't communicate without using combative, aggressive, or demeaning language, then please keep those comments to yourself, or be shown the door.
If you don't like someone's opinion then that's fine. It doesn't give you the right to insult them because of it.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
So recently I got a warning for "Insulting the site's contributors," when I called Yahtzee a hypocritical douchebag.

Might I ask why this is, when he frequently goes out of his way to insult his audience?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
sky14kemea said:
Updated the OP of this thread too, so we have a current Moderator list.
The list doesn't include me or Eleu. You'll pay for this!

Edit: And it doesn't include Sush either!

Edited edit: Fixed it now. How could you forget us Sky? D:

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
TimeLord said:
sky14kemea said:

.....Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I'm not good at these things!

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
TopazFusion said:
itsmeyouidiot said:
So recently I got a warning for "Insulting the site's contributors," when I called Yahtzee a hypocritical douchebag.

Might I ask why this is, when he frequently goes out of his way to insult his audience?
This question gets raised a lot.

The reason why he's allowed to do this in his videos, is that his videos AREN'T subject to the same rules as the forum here is.
The Code of Conduct only applies to the forum, NOT to any official contributor's content.

To put it another way, if Yahtzee said this sort of thing on the forum, he'd get punished for it that same as us.
Wow, I just lost all respect for the moderation on this site. I see absolutely no reason why the forums should be moderated at all if the site's contributions aren't bound by the same rules.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
itsmeyouidiot said:
TopazFusion said:
itsmeyouidiot said:

The reason why he's allowed to do this in his videos, is that his videos AREN'T subject to the same rules as the forum here is.
The Code of Conduct only applies to the forum, NOT to any official contributor's content.

To put it another way, if Yahtzee said this sort of thing on the forum, he'd get punished for it that same as us.
Wow, I just lost all respect for the moderation on this site. I see absolutely no reason why the forums should be moderated at all if the site's contributions aren't bound by the same rules.
From the Code of Conduct (which you have to agree to before you first post on the site and is readily available to read at any time):

Regardless of what some of our content creators may say, do or provoke within their videos or articles, this does not give members the ability to act in the same way. They are entertainers and if they brought their language or flaming into the forums, they would be held accountable, just as any other forum member of The Escapist would be.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
TimeLord said:
itsmeyouidiot said:
TopazFusion said:
itsmeyouidiot said:

From the Code of Conduct (which you have to agree to before you first post on the site and is readily available to read at any time):

Regardless of what some of our content creators may say, do or provoke within their videos or articles, this does not give members the ability to act in the same way. They are entertainers and if they brought their language or flaming into the forums, they would be held accountable, just as any other forum member of The Escapist would be.
Bull. Fucking. Shit.

Forums exist for the purposes of discussing site contributions, but if the forums have restrictions that the content itself doesn't have, then you might as well not have a forum at all. There's no point in discussing content if the content isn't restricted but you are.

The Escapist either needs to change its Code of Conduct for the forums, or enact the same code for the site's contributions.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
is it possible to earn brownie points or after 6 months not on probation and get your warnings removed so to speak? I am not reading 20 pages to find if someone has already posted this either.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
kingthrall said:
is it possible to earn brownie points or after 6 months not on probation and get your warnings removed so to speak? I am not reading 20 pages to find if someone has already posted this either.
After 6 months, you go down an infraction level. It won't remove your past warnings, but it prevents your health bar from climbing even higher the next time.

So if you haven't been on Probation for 6 months, you won't be put straight back on it the next time you receive an infraction.

I don't think there's a way to gain brownie points to have them removed directly. =P

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
The mod above answered the exact same time I did...

Uncanny o_O

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
sky14kemea said:
TimeLord said:
sky14kemea said:

You forgot about me? After you spent all that time training me...

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Eleuthera said:
sky14kemea said:
TimeLord said:
sky14kemea said:

You forgot about me? After you spent all that time training me...
I didn't put you on the list when I first edited it, 'cause you didn't have the blue name yet. I was gonna go back to it. :/