The Beaver

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Beaver

MovieBob reviews Mel Gibson's return to the big screen.

Read Full Article

Superhyperactiveman

Jul 23, 2009
He talked about Lars and the Real Girl. That made me happy. I love that movie.

On topic... Why? Why won't Mel Gibson's career stay dead, damn it? And if it won't, why does it have to do this? Why can't it make "Braveheart 2: William Wallace vs. the Space-Ninjas."? I'd pay to see that.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Good thing you reminded me of this film. I planned a few weeks ago to see it, but i seem to have forgotten all about it.

I guess i should also be thankful that i don't care about Mel Gibson's personal life or personality in the slightest.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
It's a shame I now re4fuse to pay money to see a film if I know any percentage of it is going to Mel Gibson, cos this looks alright.

Inglip

Feb 17, 2011
You're saying this is worth a look, essentially letting Gibson off with his actions, despite stating the exact opposite during the whole Vick fiasco.

What the hell Bob?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
During the post-production phase:

Studio Executive: Jody, I know you really wanted this documentary on Mel Gibson to go through, but no one is seriously going to believe that he's this insane, evidence or otherwise...

Jody Foster: Okay, how about I shoehorn a story about a guy's family and we make it look like a movie rather than it being Mel's intervention?

Studio Executive: I think we can do that. Make him a executive at a toy company, that sounds funny.
HankMan said:
Seriously Jodie: Why did it have to be a beaver?
I believe it was because Pongo [http://redvsblue.com/archive/?id=864&v=more&s=1] was taken... and Jewish...

Ihniwid

Nov 8, 2010
I don't see the significance of Gibson's personal life when looking at any film he is in.

You can if you want but I personally don't see the reasoning for it. Because he's a antisemite he can't play a dude with a beaver for a hand in a small art film?

This is a free country. The moment you go around judging a man for his beliefs is the moment I stop caring about your opinion.

Let he without sin cast the first stone, etc.

Abriel

Aug 4, 2010
Too bad it sounds like it's so interesting and something I would see, because I don't let my money go towards supporting Anti-Semites.

Ihniwid said:
I don't see the significance of Gibson's personal life when looking at any film he is in.

You can if you want but I personally don't see the reasoning for it. Because he's a antisemite he can't play a dude with a beaver for a hand in a small art film?

This is a free country. The moment you go around judging a man for his beliefs is the moment I stop caring about your opinion.

It's significant to people like me who are Jews. So I guess our opinions and feelings don't count? Good to know.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
So anyone want to take bets on when Gibson has his next "episode"? Seriously, it seems like everytime he makes a good/interesting movie recently he always follows it up with something horrible in real life. What is this, like his 4th "returns to the big screen" we've seen? That being said I'll probably go check this out, the premise sounds good and asshole or not Gibson can act pretty damn well

Dired

Dec 19, 2003
I fully respect the idea of looking into little-seen places and making movies out of unusual and non-mainstream topics. There're too many clones and retreads. But what possible train of thought could lead anyone to think that *this* story was worth telling anyone, much less making an expensive commercial film out of it?

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
Ihniwid said:

So you're saying that no matter how horrific a persons beliefs are, we shouldn't judge him because that's just what they believe? That seems, to put it mildly, a bit silly. Surely these are some of the main things someone should be judged on. I'm not going to say that Mel Gibson shouldn't be allowed to be in any films. I'm just saying that I won't pay to see them, because I don't want my money going to him.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I remember first seeing the trailer for this movie... I thought it was really REALLY strange. I'm not a big fan of dark comedy, and I'm not too keen on seeing this movie.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I normally try to separate an actor's personal life from their job, but I won't watch anything that puts a dime in that man's pocket.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Thats quite alright, I'll be skipping this movie, thank you.

Gibson has taken a very noticable decline that I will not be supporting while he continues to suffer from his bouts of the Crazies.

Abriel

Aug 4, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
Abriel said:
Too bad it sounds like it's so interesting and something I would see, because I don't let my money go towards supporting Anti-Semites.

Ihniwid said:

It's significant to people like me who are Jews. So I guess our opinions and feelings don't count? Good to know.
Next time you're drunk, I'll come by and record everything you say and use that against you six years down the line, then I think we'll be about on the same level here.

As for all the other allegations, not that the media is writing about them anymore, since it's not selling as well, but 99% of the stuff Gibson was accused of was thrown out because the woman was, rightfully so, founded to have been tampering with evidence, lying and being all out a money grubbing wacko. While nobody isn't claiming that Gibson doesn't have issues, especially with alcohol, the public lynching of him and his persona is ridiculous.
Alcohol doesn't make someone suddenly turn into an Anti-Semite. If anything I have discovered that in getting drunk a person's true colors tend to come out because that little filter in your brain which tells you not to say certain things gets whittled away with the more booze you guzzle.

It's fine if someone else wants to support him and people don't care. Just a poster asked "who cares if he's an Anti-Semite?" and I answered that I and other Jews care. If you want to see his movies, so be it...no one is stopping you. I personally however will not.

Ihniwid

Nov 8, 2010
Abriel said:

Ihniwid said:

If you want to take offence against Mel Gibson for his past remarks you are free to do so. If you do not want to spend money on his films, again, you are free to do so.

Should he be allowed to make films? That is the question which I'm defending. I was not defending his position as an anti-semite, I was defending his position as an actor.

You can do as you want, but if it irks you I'd suggest asking yourself why a complete stranger's views bother you so much.