The Best Advice You Ever Received.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Not sure it is the best, but my favorite and i don't even remember who said it to me ' if you ever get into a fight, if you get the chance knee them in the head repeatedly, then if they get back up run like fuck as they are a scary bastard' honestly i think this was a drunk friend. Not saying it is good or thing but very funny at the time.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
"You can't comb a hairy ball."

I didn't believe it at first. So I thought about it for a while, tried a few ways. You can't.
I learned something that day.
Sometimes, the only way to find out if something is impossible is to try it.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Jedamethis said:
"You can't comb a hairy ball."

I didn't believe it at first. So I thought about it for a while, tried a few ways. You can't.
I learned something that day.
Sometimes, the only way to find out if something is impossible is to try it.
Ah yes, I remember when I was told something like that. It was my topology lecturer. Then he said that as a corollary of this any continuous function that maps an even-dimensional sphere into itself has either a fixed point or a point that maps onto its own antipodal point. You can however comb a hairy doughnut.

I was told that no matter how bad something is, there's always something you can learn from it. It's especially good in job hunting, no matter how bad an aptitude test or interview goes.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
King Billi said:
"Never let the bastards grind you down."

Was that reference on purpose, or a coincidence?

OT, "You can dream, so dream out loud, and don't let the bastards grind you down!" is my favorite.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
"Just because you grow up and get old, doesn't mean you have to become an adult." An old man told me that on a bus once. For some reason it stuck, gave me some hope.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Big elephants cry at ugly small elephants.

Because it spells 'because'.
chinangel said:
There are good LGBT, and specifically T, groups on the 'scapist if you didn't know already.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
"If you hate everything, there's nothing left to fight for."
...mostly useful when I need to calm down a bit from mindlessly raging about random things.

captcha: "upper crust"
of what?

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
steampro said:
"Just because you grow up and get old, doesn't mean you have to become an adult." An old man told me that on a bus once. For some reason it stuck, gave me some hope.
This but put much more eloquently by a Mr C.S Lewis

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.?

Actually the Old Bus Man probably got his point across just as well

Sharp Blue

Dec 29, 2011
If at first you don't succeed cheat, repeat until caught then lie...

Seriously: "Don't just accept, think for yourself"

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Mine came from the book How to Make Webcomics.

I don't remember the exact wording, so I'm going to paraphrase here but basically. Do your thing and move on.

Draw your first comic, move onto the next one, and then the next one. Don't try to make your first comic perfect, because it won't be. Just keeping drawing and eventually it'll become as natural as breathing.

And while they were talking about drawing comics, I really feel like that applies to just about anything you do in life. Instead of dwelling on something you've already done trying to make it perfect, just do it and move to the next one.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive" Elbert Hubbard

And that was the day i decided to ignore everyone around me (save for those who i enjoyed the company of) and be a fragment of what i felt i was inside. It was also the day that my depression started to dim and fade with my timid nature.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
I can't remember where I heard them but "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" and "Just because the law says you're a adult doesn't mean you are one"

Both true and strangely I've met people that don't know either

May 17, 2010
"If you swiing for the king you better not miss".

Really useful to keep in mind if you are ever involved in politics.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
"Don't believe in yourself, don't deceive with belief, knowledge comes in deaths release..."
-David Bowie

...<.<

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
"Wizards First Rule: People Are Stupid. It is the first rule because it is the most important rule." - Zedd

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
Breaker deGodot said:
King Billi said:
"Never let the bastards grind you down."

Was that reference on purpose, or a coincidence?

OT, "You can dream, so dream out loud, and don't let the bastards grind you down!" is my favorite.

It was a coincidence actually although I'm not surprised to hear it here.