The best animal companions for depression

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...alright, just gonna ignore that whole can of worms...

Honestly, the best animal is something that fits... you, personally. When I was dealing with my depression, I had a dog since I'm a very physical person and running around/playing with The Bastard (actual dog name, thanks dad) was really good for me. A friend of mine is a very analytical person who likes to order things around her, so she ended up taking care of a bunch of Tarantulas for her therapy. Another friend adopted a couple of Rats, since they're pretty low-maintenance while also giving you a lot of physical contact for sad moments. I've also heard good things about cats (though they're honestly the same maintenance level of dogs), since they're pretty smart and can often comfort you by their own volition (if you take care of 'em well, that is). Lizards and turtles are also good, since they're fairly low maintenance and take up little room, so you don't have to stress too much with 'em.

If you do want a dog you can look into Therapy dogs and anything related to getting one without it costing you an arm and a leg? I know they're a thing in Australia and I've heard about 'em in America, but don't really know all the finer details.

...but yeah, it's just really what fits you best. Do you need a pet that's low maintenance? High maintenance? low energy? High energy? Something that you can cuddle, something that will comfort you itself? Something you don't want to touch with a 50 foot pole? It's like regular pet shopping really, just taking into consideration the nature of your depression as well.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
-also ignoring that can of worms-

I have a few issues of my own, including 1x Depression, and I gotta say that my cat is one of the best things to happen to me: she gave me something to focus on, something that needed me, someone soft that I could talk to and she wouldn't judge - I know, I know, cats are evil and pricks and yadda yadda yadda but I love my cat more than any dog my family has owned.

That being said, I'm just repeating what other people have said and agree that it depends on what kind of person you are, including the depression; dogs stress me out so a cat was good for me. Some people think cats stress them out so they get a dog. Others want a rodent. I knew a guy who had a bearded lizard and that thing was like a lifeline to him. There's another girl that copes with her miniature squadron of chickens in her backyard. It just depends.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I'd say not a chinchilla, apparently they require a lot of care and die if they get too stressed.

Rats are affectionate, but they don't live very long (and I personally wouldn't keep them again just because I dunno how I feel about keeping things in cages any more). And they do require a decent bit of care.

I was going to immediately suggest a cat, to be fair. Stroking a cat is good for you. If you're not sure about cats you could visit a shelter and ask to hang out with some of the cats to see how they are. Cats are not selfish. People just think that because cats don't act like dogs, therefore they must be bad. :p

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Pythons.

They require fewer amounts of time to directly rear. Their scale configuration and mechanics of movement often provoke differing degrees of fear and hypnotic fascination ... and watching them feed is in no small way an exercise in observing the cruel majesty of nature. Plus watching them curl up in a hiding box, or basking under a warm lightbulb, is really soothing.

It's like ... it's a lesson in how to be chill. Just have something yummy to eat, and go out to simply lie down in the sunlight.

Snakes have a lot to teach people.

TizzytheTormentor said:
I have a Bearded Dragon, I take him out of his cage every other day and his curiosity always puts a smile on my face, so there is that.
Oooooohhhh, an eastern bearded dragon? Awww, they're brilliant! I once took care of an injured juvenile and just watching them nom down mealworms and nectarine slices was cute. Most dragons make good pets also.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
It wholly depends on what you want from the pet and how suited you are to take care of them.

If you can accommodate a dog's needs, as in walking it, keeping it busy, playing with it and what not for 10 or so years, I'd say go for the dog, because I feel that dogs have more pay off than a lot of smaller animals. Dogs tend to be more playful and return affection more so than most smaller animals, to whom you are just an entity that cleans their habitat and magically makes food appear from time to time.

The Ditz

Lord of the Never There
Dec 18, 2012
Ezekiel said:
I never understood needing company from other species.
I barely understand needing the company of the SAME species.

OT:
I can tell you what NOT to get:

Caged animals: you will come to realize their pitiful existence mirrors your own.

Animals you feed mice to: reminds you that death is inevitable and your only choices on the matter are; Do I want to chose how and when I die or do I want this world to make that choice for me?

Depending on your answer Cats/dogs: would meowing constantly when it wants something + constant mixed messages upset you more?
or would puppy-dog eyes constantly staring at you reminding you that you don't have enough energy to walk/play with/pet them be more upsetting?

I personally like cats most, sure they are aloof and a bit violent, but they're there when you need em'... or you can drag em to you anyways, the claws hurt less than loneliness!

(keep in mind that my cat didn't use the litter box, it went outside... a place where it got aids after 2 years. So, I may not be the best judge of how to handle a cat.)

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Fox12 said:
AccursedTheory said:
Fox12 said:
Fucking turtles.

If you must have a non-turtle related animal, though, then you may enjoy a hamster. They're pretty easy and cheap to maintain, and are low maintenance. They shit everywhere, though.
Cheap? Most tortoises I've seen sell for 90-150 dollars, enclosures and equipment are twice as much, and depending on where you live they can be a pain in the ass to keep alive. And water turtles (Which I've owned) are a) expensive to keep (Most require stupidly expensive filters) and b) are complete assholes.

That all being said, I love turtles to death. But they are not a low impact pet.

I was talking about the hamsters : P

I used to keep wild turtles when I was a wee lad, though, and they never gave me too much trouble. That said, they can get quite expensive to maintain if your aren't ready for them.
God damn it. My post comprehension always goes to shit when I can't breath through my nose, so I'll blame my allergies and apologize.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
What helped me personally were... caterpillars. They're free to acquire, house and maintain. They encourage exercise because you need to keep getting fresh leaves for them. Some of them change appearance between instars, and all of them ideally metamorphose, so there's a pokemon style appeal to seeing what they will morph into next, and how many you can discover. You get to feel like you're making a difference to its life since there's about a 99% chance any given caterpillar will die in the wild.

Cons are that they don't return affection, and they occasionally burst open to reveal throngs of maggots/wasp larvae.

Haha, seriously though don't touch it, it'll spew on you.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Adopted a labrador retriever from the shelter last year. She's a little older, but literally the best companion dog I've ever had. Something about petting a dog just drops my stress levels through the floor.

Barbas, if you're looking for a buddy, why not volunteer some time at an animal shelter, and just adopt whatever grows on ya?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I have raised many different types of animals, but prefer cats due to their manner and low maintenance.
My take on a few different types of pets I have raised:
Large dogs:
Needy expensive pet. Needs much attention, space, large yard in addition to walking, clean up giant poop. Big vet bills. Big food bills. Can be difficult to bathe if having to lift the dog for any reason. Pet carriers and transport are more expensive. Depending on breed, has special fence and kennel law requirements. Can be noisy, can damage property such as doors, floors walls and fences and they often dig and ruin yards kill grass and gardens just by running around on them. Can shed badly depending on breed.Needs much attention. Cannot be left home alone long.

Small dogs:
Needy pet. Needs much attention, can be noisy, messy and have to clean up less giant poop. They can still damage property, doors, floors walls and yards, just not near as much as a large dog. Can shed badly depending on breed.Needs much attention. Cannot be left home alone long.

Cats:
Low maintenance, less needy pet. Can shed depending on breed. Depending on cat can be left home alone long. Some are more attached than others. Cats can be toilet trained and can flush their own poo so you may never have to clean up poo at all, just watch a video on how to potty train them. Can live entirely inside home and not need to go outside or be walked at all. Less expensive to feed than dogs. It is better to get two kittens when they are young and have them grow up together to keep each other company and play together. They usually do not need much attention, though they like to cuddle with you if you let them. If properly trained, they never damage anything. Untrained, they can claw your couch straight down to the wood. Some cats tend to think ahead and may set actual booby traps around the house making things fall on others. Some cats hold grudges and will " get even" if they feel they are wronged. They have quite varying personalities. Many cats can open doors or containers. Cats tend to feel like they are your owner, not the other way around and will feel the need to take care of you and defend you by bringing you their kill as a gift. Cats will bring you gifts, especially if you don't want any " gifts" if they see you as their family they have to take care of.

Lizards and turtles:
Expensive needy pet. Costly maintenance for controlled sterile environment. Not a cuddly pet and you can kill it just by handling it. wear gloves when handling and always maintain sterile, climate controlled environment. Tank or room depending on size of lizard or turtle needs to be cleaned frequently.

Rabbits:
Messy needy pet. If you have it indoors you have to have it wear a diaper that has to be changed frequently. They can get sick in eating normal household items so environment has to be kept clear of environmental hazards for rabbit. They can actually eat the paint off the walls so is better to have safe side boards to prevent them from doing so. They can be timid pets but some will cuddle with people if raised accustomed to that.

Ferrets:
Needy crazy biting pet. Ferrets usually continue to occasionally bite even after being domesticated so not a pet you can allow to be around others if you do not want to be sued and have your pet killed. keep away from other people. Poop all over the place and difficult to get to use a box. Not best suggestion for first time pet.

Goats, sheep:
Needy outdoor dangerous pet. They literally eat everything and break anything they can and are hard to keep fenced since they break that too. They do not like you and want to kill you and eat you too.

Horses:
Expensive large land outdoor with stable requirement pet. One of the more expensive pets to have. Vet, food, land, stable expenses are very high. Not a cuddle up and go to sleep pet unless you want to sleep in the barn.

Birds:
DO. NOT. WANT. EVER. AGAIN. PEOPLE ARE CRAZY FOR WANTING BIRDS IN THEIR HOUSE. LET THEM ALL FREE.

I have raised more animals than just these, but figured these were probably the most common considered option.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
LauriAJ said:
Ferrets for the win!
Ferrets always wind up biting someone eventually though, especially when they get older and grouchy. You cant have them around others or you risk being sued and having them killed.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Lil devils x said:
LauriAJ said:
Ferrets for the win!
Ferrets always wind up biting someone eventually though, especially when they get older and grouchy. You cant have them around others or you risk being sued and having them killed.
They don't 'eventually' end up biting others, they always are biting others. I love ferrets, but the little bastards are evil.

I lived with a guy who had two ferrets, and neither of us could go two days without getting ankle bit. And the damn things made a tunnel system in the couch, presumably for the sole purpose of trying to carve a piece out of my ass checks.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
Lil devils x said:
LauriAJ said:
Ferrets for the win!
They don't 'eventually' end up biting others, they always are biting others. I love ferrets, but the little bastards are evil.

I lived with a guy who had two ferrets, and neither of us could go two days without getting ankle bit. And the damn things made a tunnel system in the couch, presumably for the sole purpose of trying to carve a piece out of my ass checks.
Yes, even the best trained ferrets for use around children wound up biting someone and they had to pull them from the childrens event. LOL

I have never seen a ferret that didn't bite eventually. Which if it bites the wrong person, you get sued and the state takes your ferret and kills it. :(

I have seen cats make tunnel systems in the couch too. I had this one cat that would hide in there and when friends sat on the couch he would attack their butt from inside the couch. LMAO

Dreph

Jun 27, 2015
AccursedTheory said:
Hedgehogs

Pros
-Absolutely adorable
-Seriously, look at'em
-Look one more time
-Clean
-Small, cheap cages
-If well socialized, like being held/petted
-Ok, look one more time
You... You monster! Now I have to break it to my spouse that we are getting a Hedgehog.

On a more serious note, how do they do around cats?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
AccursedTheory said:
Fox12 said:
AccursedTheory said:
Fox12 said:
Fucking turtles.

If you must have a non-turtle related animal, though, then you may enjoy a hamster. They're pretty easy and cheap to maintain, and are low maintenance. They shit everywhere, though.
Cheap? Most tortoises I've seen sell for 90-150 dollars, enclosures and equipment are twice as much, and depending on where you live they can be a pain in the ass to keep alive. And water turtles (Which I've owned) are a) expensive to keep (Most require stupidly expensive filters) and b) are complete assholes.

That all being said, I love turtles to death. But they are not a low impact pet.

I was talking about the hamsters : P

I used to keep wild turtles when I was a wee lad, though, and they never gave me too much trouble. That said, they can get quite expensive to maintain if your aren't ready for them.
God damn it. My post comprehension always goes to shit when I can't breath through my nose, so I'll blame my allergies and apologize.
Nah, it's cool, I've done the same. It was probably a good idea to add a disclaimer anyway.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
I would actually say for depression you'd want a dog that's energetic and a little higher maintenance because you won't want to make the dog suffer so you'll keep busy making sure it's okay and playing with it.

Though I don't know anyone with depression and I've never had it myself so my suggestion might be the worst thing you can imagine.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
A Maine Coon or Maine Coon mix:

Maine Coons are super friendly, inquisitive, don't lose their kitten-like playfulness, super fluffy, and, if you're normally a dog person, can potentially grow to be the size of your average medium dog.

It has great big paws so even if you end up with a monster cat, it won't hurt to much when they walk on you (and they can walk in top of snow just fine regardless of size), their coats come in a wide variety of colors, patterns, and speckles, and despite there being a lot of it, it's easy to maintain. They have a surprisingly wide vocal range and aren't afraid to talk.

They are usually very intelligent, mine notwithstanding, and tend to be trainable. They do take a bit more cuddle and playtime than your average cat though, so a big dog like that way.