The Best Book/Book Series You've Ever Read?

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Sober Thal said:
nin_ninja said:
Sober Thal said:
nin_ninja said:
Sober Thal said:
'The Wheel of Time' by Robert Jordan.

With help by Brandon Sanderson.
This. 100% this.

Saidin rules.
Saidin is kinda so-so...

We need to find another power, one that men and women can both use. My partner Mierin and I are close to achieving it! Tomorrow, we bore a hole into the Dark Ones prison! Err, uhm, I mean we will bypass these silly limitations of saidin and saidar!!

Wish us luck ; )
That sounds dangerously close to the True Power.....do you have saa in your eyes?
Danger? Nah... Mierin is really strong, and pretty. She would never lead anyone astray. But to be honest... I think she has the hots for Lewis Therin.
Hots for a semi-dead guy. Good luck with that.

Me, I prefer characters who are (relatively speaking) still alive. And who don't try to make you play Maiden's Kiss.

EDIT: Guess he wasn't dead at the time though, so its love for a guy who's semi-dead, semi-reborn, and semi-sane.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Would be a tie between Classic Battletech(the series got me into reading in a big way) or The Dresden Files.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Misery by stephen king I mean how many books you can say youve readover and over again?

Earths children- as in clan of the cave bear...even though the charachters get a bit mary sue, liek the author is constantly telling how amazing and beautiful the main charachter is like seriously we dont need ot be told over and over again we find her sympathetic enough as it is

oh and the leading mans main problem is....his dick is huge and hes incredibly good looking, im not kidding (ok its a little complex than that but still) and the last book just knda ends.... I mean they set it up for a good climax that never happens aparently theres another book on the way..yeah sucks for you if youve been following the series since 1981...

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Thats a hard one, but I think the best individual book was probably Starship Troopers, it was just an awesome mix of military and sci-fi.

rayskyrift

All that is man
Oct 29, 2009
The major Dragonlance trilogies by Weis and Hickman. They are really perfect fantasy stories.

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
Sober Thal said:
'The Wheel of Time' by Robert Jordan.

With help by Brandon Sanderson.
I'd have to agree. And my favorite book of the series is the latest, Towers of Midnight. I kinda feel like, as a whole, Jordan's writing was slowing down, and Sanderson's picked it back up again in the latest 2 books. Lets hope he can deliver for the final book.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Johnnyallstar said:
blaise_fire said:
The Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin. I just wish he'd release his next book already!
You ninja, you know he'll be dead before he finishes the series :(
Now now fellas the hardest book is done (almost but it will come out on July 12th), he has only to wrap up the series. Dance was setting up the climax so it had to be perfect.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
The Dexter novels are great. A bit weirder than the TV series, but in a good way.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I've always enjoyed Darren Shan and his works, although he kinda sucks when it comes to endings.
I'd probably have to go with Lovecraft's writings in general, he perfectly understood how to make things much more frightening and wonderful by providing vague details of the terrors at hand and allowing the reader to imagine them drawing from their own personal fears.
Oh, and I do also enjoy some of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Spartan X1

Mar 7, 2011
The Star Wars Republic Commando series, I read lots of other fiction but this is the only one that has actually pulled my heart strings

chieften

Sep 15, 2009
Its probably a close tie for me between the Animorph and the Redwall series. I want to get a hold of the old animorph books because when I read them I was too young to understand some of the themes inherent in theme. I loved the Redwall books so much I named one of my cats Martin after the central character to the series. Also the first and one of the few times I have ever cried from reading a book was in Martin the Warrior.

A notable mention as well is Watership Down. I even brought it and a couple of Redwall books that I still have with me to college.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Fate/Stay Night is the best novel I have ever read, and I wish it could be read by more non-Japanese speakers.

Good Omens is also great. Dune has an amazingly well realized universe.

Young Wizards is a good series too and produced a couple excellent novels.

diadia

Jun 26, 2010
My top series would be the Rift War Saga by Reymond Feist, this is such an epic series - I still reread it from time to time. The Discworld books are right there with them though.

For stand alone books I'd say Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick or Holy Fire by Bruce Sterling are my favorites.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Despite my last job being at a book store, I don't read much... so I guess Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep... anyone who knows me knows that I'm a sucker for anything Cyberpunk...<.<

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
I sat down and read the first Eragon book some time ago to pass time...I now own all of the current 3 books and am awaiting the final book to be released.