The best book you've ever read.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Oh, and for non-fiction: What's The Matter With Kansas: How Conservatives Won The HEart of America by Thomas Frank. Great book.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
AvsJoe said:
Pararaptor said:
My vote though goes to The Forever War, a story which takes a lot of its universe from Starship Troopers but follows the life of a space marine dealing with the effects relativity has on his life. Each time he returns to Earth it's changed radically from what he once knew, each time he returns to the military; as it has the only people he knows.
War. War never changes.

Sorry, it felt appropriate.
SNAKE: War. . .has changed.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
LaBlallin said:
So I've been in this samey mystery after mystery after mystery rut for a while now, All I've read in the past 6 months or so is Dean Koontz.
I'm not a big Koontz fan, but I quite liked Phantoms (don't let the movie scare you) and Dark Rivers of the Heart. I found those to be pretty dark. If you want darker, I say go Lovecraft. The guy was a human "total perspective vortex." It doesn't get much darker than "the total sum of all human endeavors are now and have always been totally meaningless."

My favorite book is fairly dark. Huxley's "A Brave New World." Well, co favorite. I also love Clarke's "The Light of Other Days" and "Ghost of the Grand Banks."

Urahara

Nov 25, 2010
For me it'd have to be The Hobbit. It doesn't matter how many times I read that book, I just don't ever seem to get tired of it.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
I always find it hard to select 'the', so I'll go for 'a great book'.

American Gods, by Neil Gaiman.

I truly enjoyed that one. And the audiobook is absolutely awesome, too.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Ultramatic said:
The Odyssey, by Homer. Everything about it is just so... Epic.
I read that as a kid, and enjoyed it's adventure a lot. I recall Iliad was more epic, but it bored me, and I don't think I've ever finished it.

There are so many books I like, and as I like them different ways, it's hard to decide, but here's some books I love and have read several times, and can enjoy again and again:

"Crime and Punishment" by Dostojevski. I like most of his work, but this one is the first one that got me into his stuff. I had read one of his humorous short stories before and didn't like it.

"Scanner Darkly", by Philip K Dick, also "Do androids dream of electric sheep?", "The clans of Alpha moon", there are many books by him I love.

"Grim reaper" By Terry Pratchett. Again, I enjoy all of his books and love most of them, but this is my favourite.

There are a lot of others, but these came to mind first.

idontwannabeaschizo

Feb 15, 2010
I've read soooo much its hard to actually pick just one favourite book by itself. So heres some of my most memorable books I've read, which probably are my faves in a sense.

- Forever War (awesome book, good story about soldiering in a strange time/times XD)
- 1984 (really interesting political thinking, makes me wanna read Strange New World now)
- Bolo! (By David Weber, this one I highly recommend)
- The Years of Rice and Salt (thought-provoking alternate history)
- World War Z (pretty good look into a realistic Zombie apocalypse)
- Canticle for Leibowitz (post-apocalyptic saga thats just really really enjoyable)

For fave book series here are my picks:

- Hertiage, Legacy and Inheritance Trilogys by Ian Douglas. (Pure awesome in an SF book form.)
- Any series by Harry Turtledove (favourite author)
- The Orphanage series by Robert Buettner (a good connect-able protagonist for me)
- The Legend of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy by Robert Thurston.
- The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton (long but ultimately rewarding)
- The Axis of Time Trilogy by John Birmingham (thought-provoking time-travel/alternate history)

Non Fiction: (a generalization mind you) ((sorry this is long but I hope you guys check this stuff out))

- The U.S. Army and Marine Corps Counterinsurgency Field Manual
- Blackwater
- The Long Emergency
- The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers
- The Power of Now

There are other books and series I haven't mentioned that are great reads too, books are awesome that way. The only one I actually have any malice towards would be Armor, it ripped me off 10 bucks in my opinion. Thank-you for your time.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
The Name of the Wind. Masterfully written fantasy that just blew my mind, I have never seen such a good story and especially characters in any book, game or a movie.

Magic Muffin Man

Jul 20, 2009
Modern: It's a tie between Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas and A Clockwork Orange. Both are great pieces of work
Classic: The Divine Comedy
Play: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Comic: Scott Pilgrim. :p.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Magic Muffin Man said:
Modern: It's a tie between Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas and A Clockwork Orange. Both are great pieces of work
My old English Teacher raved about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. I adored Hamlet. I want to check it out. Anything in particular that was amazing about it?

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Now that I see a few mentioned, I can make somewhat of a list:

The Odyssey and The Iliad are favorites of mine, always an entertaining read.

1984 - read that book a few years ago, I wasn't into it at first but once it settled in a bit I really enjoyed it. Damn you Big Brother...

I remember one book "The Good Earth", read it for school but it was a good read nonetheless.

Magic Muffin Man

Jul 20, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Magic Muffin Man said:
My old English Teacher raved about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. I adored Hamlet. I want to check it out. Anything in particular that was amazing about it?
It's an interesting study of people trying to make sense of a situation they can't control. It's also really, really funny, with jokes that run the gamut from Hamlet references to metaphysical quagmires. If you liked Hamlet, then you'll probably dig Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Seeing it live would be your best bet, although the movie was OK.

ToysforGuns

Jan 26, 2011
Scarecrow by Matthew Reilly. I've read that book many times and it was one of the first books that inspired me to read. I finished that book the day I got it, couldn't put it down.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
All I can think of at the moment is Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet is also good.