The best book you've ever read.

unit342

Dec 9, 2010
Autolykos said:
Best entertainment: Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
I was just gonna say that. I am still wondering how Douglas Addams could think that book up. Perhaps he was using lemons to come up with all the brilliance that the books have... :D

azuu

Dec 6, 2010
The White Dragon by Anne Mccaffrey. It's from an awesome series called 'The Dragonriders of Pern'. I've read that book 3 times, and given how relativly little I read thats nothing short of a miracle.

Adecristo

May 20, 2010
If you consider comics as a books too, then it would be Thorgal.
If you don't, then it's "The Black Company" by Glen Cook.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

It's just epic and genuinely changed my life.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
There are many, many books that I've really liked. I loved the Harry Potter saga and, the Darth Bane trilogy, reading both sets multiple times. As for my single favorite book though, it would probably be Soul Music by Terry Pratchett. A great parody of the history of Rock N' Roll as seen through the filter of The Discworld and, one of the books in the Death story arc (Death being my favorite arc) Perhaps the best thing though is the image it leaves us with:

hm...thought I could find a better pic than that but it's not bad...

ham and red bull

Dec 2, 2010
My favorite or best? My favorite book(s) of all time is the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series, but not the newest one from Eoin Colfer. I like the dude and loooove Artemis Fowl, but his newest book sucks so much!

The best book is probably: watchmen. I know it's not a real book, but it changed superheroes forever for me. I just love it sooo much! I also enjoyed V for Vendetta.

TheStatutoryApe

May 22, 2010
azuu said:
The White Dragon by Anne Mccaffrey. It's from an awesome series called 'The Dragonriders of Pern'. I've read that book 3 times, and given how relativly little I read thats nothing short of a miracle.
If you're into dragons you might be interested in the Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik. Alternate history set in the Napoleonic wars, where they have dragonrider airforces.

Also a trilogy of trilogies: The Farseers trilogy, Liveship Traders trilogy, and Tawney Man trilogy all by Robin Hobb. Damn... I just looked and it seems that she has a fourth in that series The Rainwild Chronicles that I have not read yet. Anyway the first trilogy does not deal much with the dragons until near the end. The second and third deal with them more and there is a sort of overarching metaplot across all three trilogies. The fourth appears to continue the metaplot.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
It would definitely be a tie between "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson and "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" by Ken Kesey.

Two absolutely excellent reads. I would definitely recommend them to anybody. They both have great film adaptations as well.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Recently: A Storm of Swords
Ever: Hard to say. I did enjoy Dean Koontz "Lightning" quite a bit.
I may have to fall back on some nostalgia here, but "Dealing with Dragons" is my childhood favorite.

Garrsus

Jun 21, 2010
cant decide, so i will list all my favroute books :D :
maximum ride.
cherub.
the Alex cross series.
infected.
sentenced to prism.
chronicles of ancient darkness.
when the wind blows. (yes i know it is the "original maximum ride")
(im not too keen on the whole realism stuff.)

captain_dalan

Feb 1, 2011
Best SF (and favorite book overall) would have to be "Hyperion" (followed by "Fall of Hyperion" as they are the essentially the same book) by Dan Simmons. IMO the best combination of a thriller, space opera, mystery and social outlook...

other favorite SF books
Foundation-Isaac Asimov; close second
Dune-Frank Herbert; very, VERY close third

Classics
100 years of solitude-Márquez
Henry V; Macbeth, Hamlet and Shakespeare's work in general

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
Best book? Too hard, man. There are just too many stellar books!

So, instead I'll mention my latest book, "White Tiger". It's written by an Indian chap, and it's a very dark, twisted insight into modern Indian culture.

LogieBear

Mar 19, 2010
Balgariad and The Malloreon by David Eddings RIP
Best Fantasy series ive ever read, moved many, many emotions =)

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Hmmm, too many to choose. I'll go with one of the best ones I've read recently and say Starship Troopers.

If we include comics (and we should), I'll say Silver Surfer: Requiem. Nothing has pulled at the hearstrings like that one.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
There are many, many books that I've really liked. I loved the Harry Potter saga and, the Darth Bane trilogy, reading both sets multiple times. As for my single favorite book though, it would probably be Soul Music by Terry Pratchett. A great parody of the history of Rock N' Roll as seen through the filter of The Discworld and, one of the books in the Death story arc (Death being my favorite arc) Perhaps the best thing though is the image it leaves us with:

hm...thought I could find a better pic than that but it's not bad...
You and me both. Who knew Death could be so damn likable?