The best FPS ever on any console

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Minic said:
I'm surprised no-one's at least mentioned Deus Ex. I mean, I've never played that game myself but I've heard good things.
Deus Ex would be a very legitimate choice seeing as how it's one of the greatest FPS ever made, but I heard the port was shit. (I only played it on PC)

That and Deus Ex 2 sucked massive dicks by being dumbed down for a broader audience on consoles.

OneHP

Optimist Laureate
Jan 31, 2008
Hard to choose between UT/Quake2/HL, all had great multiplayer and loads of nice mods/add-ons.

Edit: Erk just noticed title was console and I just said all PC games, ah well.

The Potato Lord

Dec 20, 2007
Halo 3 or bioshock for me Halo3 had better gunplay but Bioshock was much more atmospheric. HL2 is fun and all but after you've done the puzzles and had fun with the Grav-gun it's really bland. Judging from the initial run-throughs HL2 was a tiny bit better than Halo3 but Halo3 lasts much much longer.

Yeah Halo3 it has the best gun play.

defcon 1

Jan 3, 2008
Time Splitters 3 or Bioshock

Time Splitters 3 is my third favorite multilayer game! I'm not sure how many people actualy know about the game though. For starters you can be a monkey, or a ninja monkey, or even a gingerbread man with a gun that shoots lightning!

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
Santhenar said:
Please, what exactly did HL2 do with the shooting genre?
Well, it introduced physics. It introduced characters that you actually care about. It introduced the gravity gun. It created levels which can vary from claustrophobic horror fests to lonely road missions to beachfront assaults on combine bases. It introduced true atmosphere to a game, something that very few shooters have managed to compete with since (Bioshock and Fear are good examples, but they are pure horror which I believe is easier than creating a more varied experience). It also showed what most other shooters were incapable of - creating a complex plot that is told entirely through the viewpoint of the player.

Stepping outside of the train station to see a monstrous monolith, ripping apart a clouded sky, where the people are desperate, paranoid and controlled by a vicious totalitarian regime... Half-Life 2 was and is a masterpiece, whether you acknowledge it or not. How many games have physics now? Nearly all of them. Why?..... take a guess.

Anyway, as you might have guessed my vote goes to HL2 followed by Bioshock, Metroid and FEAR.

EittilDratsab

Dec 9, 2007
1.Bioshock

I usually judge on the single player and its Replayability. To me, Bioshock has the best single player experience. Would you kindly, lol.

2. Halo 3
The campaign may not be the best, but I think its great. The skulls with the metagame and the excellent Co-op makes it something I can play with my friends at any time. Theater kicks ass. Its something that every game should have.

3. Call of Duty 4
The game is really stale after the 1st playthrough, but the 1st time I played it, it was really epic. Nuclear explosion? **** yeah.

4. Half Life 2
Its been 3 years since I've played it. I don't remember much, but I know it has a killer SP. Playing through it again might change its rank, but...Gravity Gun ftw.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Santhenar said:
twilight_dweller said:
Portal isn't an FPS, it's a puzzle game.

In any case, I think Half-Life 2 is the best first person shooter, because it actually did something with the Shooting genre. And the Source engine was, and still is, a work of art.
Please, what exactly did HL2 do with the shooting genre?
I suppose one of the merits of HL2 is that it has a tense and gritty atmosphere, rather than an action movie approach to things that is so commonly found in FPS.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Doom and Half life respectively.
Halo gets an honourable mention for being super playable, and having an entertaining multiplayer.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Santhenar said:
Am I the only person on Earth who actually thinks Half-Life 2 was somewhat rubbish? Probably.
Half-Life 1 was amazing though.
But I'd say the best FPS, nay one of the best games of all time has to be Timesplitters: Future Perfect - If you don't think it's awesome then you're obviously not doing it right.
Nope, I hate Half-Life 2 as well, loved the first game and all of it's expansions and I'm a fan of Episode 1 and 2 aswell....
Timesplitters 2 was my favourite of the last generation, as for this one? I reckon Call of Duty 4, it only lacks in one department (co-op) so it's pretty close to being perfect IMO.

Sparrowsabre7

Mar 12, 2008
OK this is a crime, noone has mentioned Perfect Dark, seriously, why has noone mentioned Perfect Dark? It did everything so much better than Goldeneye.

I also think Black was good too as was TimeSplitters: FP

GrimRox

Feb 22, 2008
Santhenar said:
But I'd say the best FPS, nay one of the best games of all time has to be Timesplitters: Future Perfect - If you don't think it's awesome then you're obviously not doing it right.
Absolutely correct! Timesplitter games always have ruled and Future Perfect was brilliant and by far the best! Halo series is awesome as is the original Perfect Dark, especially it's multiplayer!

TheGrue

Mar 26, 2008
But.. but... FPS's on consoles?? WRY!?

Maybe it's just me, but I feel way more in character and engaged in the action - hell even more competent - with a mouse. With funny little analog sticks I just feel stupid. Not just because I suck at using them, but because without a mouse I find myself using "cheats" to make me shoot more stuff. By that I mean, for example, leaving the reticule at roughly the right height of someone's head. I can just strafe and run with my gun pointing in the same damn place all the time. If you were a space warrior, future terrorist, modern day soldier or even a masterful chef - would you lazily sidestep so that you gun points at the enemy - or would you be making shots at whatever stuck it's nasty head out at you?

I understand people might become excellent with a gamepad, but for me the best fps on a console would be one with a lightgun.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The best FPS for me is the FPS that i can convince my rabbid Nintendo-fan friend is not like all the others.

But i'd have to say CoD4, for obvious reasons.

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
Why...why did you make this? You can see them coming...over the horizon! They are coming. Hordes of them. We cannot escape...the Fanboys are soon to arrive!
Btw, I really don't think there is a best shooter. They all have up's and down's.

EDIT: Just ignore this, once I thought about it, I figured what I said above is just kinda stupid, cause popular games are good too in certain cases.

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
Duke Nukem 3D

If you've never played it, then you seriously are missing out on one great game.
Just make sure you get the uncensored version.