The best value game you have bought?

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
So, the way i work out the value of a game i have purchased is £1 to an hour. so for a £40 game, if i put at least 40 hours in, i see it as a good enough purchase. if i spend less time on it, it perhaps wasn't my best decision, and if i spend longer then it must be doing something right...

now as steam keeps track of gaming hours, it is pretty easy to work out the value for PCs, consoles is more of a guess tbh.

so i ask you, what has been your best value purchase? (lowest cost to longest time played) mine is the binding of isaac. so far i've put in around 54 hours, but seeing as the game was only around £4, that means i've got 13.5 hours of gameplay, out of each £1. pretty good going

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
probably section 8 prejudice, I've only played it 10 hours but I traded it for the original deus ex after we both won our copy in the steam Christmas thing. Which counts because in my mind it was essentially free.

After that probably killing floor, which I put in 130 hours to and bought when it was 75% off for less than £5.

Terraria, S.P.A.Z(a.b.h), Borderlands and the binding of isaac all put in good shows.

wailing

May 17, 2012
Unreal Tournament 2004. 10,000+ hours, $40. That means a fraction of a cent per hour.

Rangarig

Dragon in disguise
Apr 19, 2010
The list is so long for me TBH, but a game truly has best-value for me if it compels me to return to it, even after many years. Bonus points if it gets me to dig out old computers/consoles to be able to play it.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Team fortress 2 bought it for £8 on sale bought £5 DLC so £13 total.

Total hours played? 863... yeah i love tf2 x), i no longer play competivley but i will pub stomp at least 1 hour a day still. Nothing like cranking on some grimey dubstep and face rolling some dustbowl or badwater basin.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The Orange Box still holds this title for me.

30 bucks got me two games that turned out to be all-time favourites (Portal and HL2), two expansions for one of those games (HL2 Ep1+Ep2) and an excellent multiplayer game that gave me over a hundred hours of enjoyment (TF2).

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Skyrim for $120 dollars (Thats like $90USD roughly). Last time I checked I logged in about 180+ hours in over multiple characters. Thats more than a week, I think my money was well spent.

Also I find dollars to time played conversions somewhat silly, what if its a game with lots of useless padding, or just a shit ton of cutscenes? ((Metal Gear Solid for example)Although i think Metal Gear Solid 4 is worth the cash).

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
The binding of Isaac

$4.99 and I'm over 170 hours and still loving it.

Minecraft gets an honourable mention.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Civ III, I've clocked up hundreds of hours ever since that was first released. I will continue to play it for probably thousands more hours throughout my life.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
?5 for the first Dawn of War Anthology with the game and all expansions.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Zhukov said:
The Orange Box still holds this title for me.

30 bucks got me two games that turned out to be all-time favourites (Portal and HL2), two expansions for one of those games (HL2 Ep1+Ep2) and an excellent multiplayer game that gave me over a hundred hours of enjoyment (TF2).
I've been lucky to get many great deals on some really good games and expansions, but the Orange Box is quality and quantity. Half-Life 2 definitely one of the best experiences I've had in gaming.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Minecraft, probably. $40 for two games and we played for months. Would still be playing, but my laptop for some reason has some issue with the game now (didn't one day, did the next) and after a few minutes of playing, it dies. Not sure if it's a java or graphics issue, either, as I replaced drivers and re-downloaded java. And it happened right after Java's messed-up update a few months ago.

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
Tough one but probably perfect dark on the N64. I bought it for £50 but my playtime is astronomical... plus thanks to multiplayer other people got enjoyment from my 'investment' too :p

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
WoW and the Orange Box

I played WoW for years
I still play TF2 & Portal regularly

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
I got Rome TW Gold off steam for about £3, and I've spent about 60 hours on the steam version alone, I also regularly borrowed a friend's hard copy beforehand.

Xen0n

Sep 21, 2011
I paid ~15 bucks for a "used", unopened copy of the Orange Box. I don't know how many hours I've played, but I dare say it's the best videogame purchase I've ever made.