The Best Video Game Ending

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
What is the best ending to a video game you've ever seen? Mine would probably be the Good ending to inFamous 2, or Portal 2.

Juk3n

Aug 14, 2010
Skies of Arcadia wrapped thins up perfectly especially after such a grande adventure. It wins.

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
The New Vegas ending slideshow felt genuine and heartwarming, as it is voiced by all your friends from the wastelands and it reminds you of just how much of an effect you had on the world, however temporary they may be. The wonderful poetry of the quote at the start coming full circle ties to the key theme of Fallout, that the more things change, the more things stay the same. Its a rare thing to see an ending that made me smile and feel accomplishment instead of embitterment.

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
Jimmy T. Malice said:
What is the best ending to a video game you've ever seen? Mine would probably be the Good ending to inFamous 2, or Portal 2.
Play more games.

Final Fantasy VI

This isn't really an ending, but the the end of the first half of Bioshock. (Would you kindly?)

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
Hmm...probably Portal, though I remember there were a few other games that gave me goosebumps when the game ended. Maybe FF7, MGS, or PvZ.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Spencer Petersen said:
The New Vegas ending slideshow felt genuine and heartwarming, as it is voiced by all your friends from the wastelands and it reminds you of just how much of an effect you had on the world, however temporary they may be. The wonderful poetry of the quote at the start coming full circle ties to the key theme of Fallout, that the more things change, the more things stay the same. Its a rare thing to see an ending that made me smile and feel accomplishment instead of embitterment.
If you're talking about the epilogue then hell yes, more games need epilogues like that. The actual Hoover Dam climax however was just okay, nothing special.

Anyway, I thought Mask of the Betrayer had a great ending.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
The end of the Jumi route in Legend of Mana...in fact the end of most of the routes in Legend of Mana

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
Catchy Slogan said:
I'm quite liking the Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood ending. WTF FTW!
tbh I hate the AC endings with a passion, the game is mainly set in cities filled with conspriracy and inhumane acts and it just keep jamming this sci-fi crap down my throat..../rant

Loved the Bioshock ending, out of no where and it's same for a lot of games of how we don't really have free will.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
My favorite endings would have to be from Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy IX, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Valkyria Chronicles, and Spyro the Dragon. The last one in retrospect wasn't all that special, but it was the first game I've beaten, so it holds a special place in my heart.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Catchy Slogan said:
I'm quite liking the Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood ending. WTF FTW!
That was a brilliant ending.

One ending I love is the ending to The Darkness. It was a bit anti-climactic, but in a way that you don't expect... Is that possible? Perhaps I'm making an oxymoron but it was a really surprising ending, the likes of which is very uncommon in video games. Also the scene right at the end was one of, if not the most emotive and touching scenes I have ever witnessed in a game. People bash that game a lot for it's failings but I hardly ever hear anyone praise it for it's absolutely unrivaled atmosphere and characterisation.

The ending of Enslaved is also great. Actually I guess it was a kind of bitter-sweet. It threw a huge twist at you then immediately kind of craps on that, but in a way that leaves open huge interesting possibilities for the sequel. It was exciting to see and a huge WTF moment, even bigger than the end of Brotherhood. I advise anyone to play the game just for that ending.

Sadly I can't think of any games from before the current generation that have really made as big an impression on me with their endings. I guess the ending to Majora's Mask was pretty good, but I can't remember much of it. Probably the best part of the story in that game was the bit just before the last boss, and the whole Couple's Mask side-quest. I liked that.

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core had me in absolute floods, even though I already knew what was going to happen. Couldn't help myself. The music, and the DMW going haywire and the cutscenes and... Yeah.