The Big Divisive Question: Star Wars Or Star Trek?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Baldr said:
RandV80 said:
I wonder if age is a factor here? Star Trek debuted in 1973 as a TV series, while Star Wars debutted in the movie theatres in 1973
Wait what? Try 1966 for the original Star Trek series and 1976 for A New Hope.

Basically it comes down to this:

Star Trek is based futuristic technology based in Science
Star Wars is based off Myth and Fantasy that is almost Magic

So the question here is Science vs Magic.
Whoops that's a typo on Star Wars, 1976 was what I was thinking. For Star Trek I just did a quick imdb search, I guess I picked up on the first movie rather than the series?
But the greater gap I think would just further my point. The original Star Trek broke new ground in science fiction and was great for geeks of the time creating a huge amount of nostalgia. Star Wars on the other hand came out a bit later but had much more mass appeal and was also kid friendly. Anyone born during or after would more than likely have experienced Star Wars first, and with the increase of sci-fi shows have a much lesser chance to become a Trekky convert.

Basically all I'm saying is this argument has more meaning & impact to people aged 40+, and is apples & oranges for the most of the rest of us... or maybe I don't spend enough time with fellow geeks!

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Both are pretty meh imo. What does it say if you don't really care for either and prefer Doctor Who so much more?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Scotty. said:
Star Trek 1-3, Star Wars 4-6.

Amirite?
Not quite: For most fans, it's Star Trek: even films only, Star Wars: 4-6. However, the only bad Star Trek movie from the original cast was 5; TMP is in my top two Star Trek films, and 3 is pretty good in its own right. The Star Trek films from Generations on are a whole different can of worms, and just aren't as good as the original six.

Edit: In Star Trek, 2-4 make up a self contained trilogy. Is it possible that those are the films you were referencing when you said 1-3? Because the first film was made well before the rest of the series, and it's almost completely disconnected from the rest of the films.

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
I prefer star trek because of the fact that it is based in science to me star war is just a fantasy film with a bit of tech stuff mixed in while star trek explains what things do and how they came about(generally) but in the movies(the only star wars media I have seen) it is just "these are lightsabers screw how they work or how they were invented it was a space wizard alright." now maybe there are detailed explanations about how stuff works in the books and such. one of the other things I like about star trek is it based in reality there are place names and names of people who you know so in star trek it is "wow data you are almost like Da Vinci" "wow cp30 you are like zarnoo" one of those has meaning to everyone the other doesn't.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
This is a gaming site so shouldn't video games enter into the equation at all?

The actually choice is very hard for me as both win in different areas.

I have watched more hours of Star Trek by far, seeing most if not all of the original Star trek series at least once, most if not all of the Next Gen at least once and All of DS9 (my favorite) at least once. I watched quite a few episodes of Voyager even though I didn't like the captain at all, but I have not watched the latest version Enterprise or whatever it's called.

Thats many hundreds of hours of shows though.

Meanwhile I have watched the original Star trek trilogy probably at least 10 times over the years and Episode 1-3 twice.

The Star trek movies don't win for me vs the Star wars movies, but if you lump the Star trek TV shows in with the movies I think it comes out ahead.

But then you have both video games and books.

I've read some Star Trek books but honestly none of the authors really grabbed my attention. On the other hand Timothy Zahn did a GREAT job with his Star wars books and many other authors (some quite well known that I have read before) did as well. In the battle of the books Star Wars wins easily for me.

And then the biggest landslide by far for me is video games. Honestly I have never played a Star Trek video game that made me happy. I've played a ton but even DS9 First person shooters etc fell very short and I have never found a Star trek video game that I spent more then 100 hours on or even close.

There are so many GREAT Star Wars video games that it's pointless to even list them. Many of them are in the top 10 of my favorite games by genre (RPGs,Flight Sims, RTS,s etc). Since video games are very important to me and Star Wars has just about covered every type of video game I like (and well), it not only wins hands down but obliterates Star Trek in this category.

So even though I often enjoy pure science fiction and I was not a big fan of Episode 1-3....I'm going to have to go with Star Wars over all. I am not sure if they really should be compared to each other but if I had to choose between the two and the one I didn't choose suddenly ceased to exist all together, I would choose Star Wars in a second. Star trek was good and I have spent many many hours watching it on TV.....but I have spent more hours playing Star wars games by far and I enjoyed them much more.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Tiswas said:
Both are pretty meh imo. What does it say if you don't really care for either and prefer Doctor Who so much more?
It says that you are awesome, but mostly likely not open to certain story styles.

I love all three and many, many, many, many, more shows, I could probably come up with at least 50+ shows that I love. It's most likely because I am a creative writer that loves most story genres and styles.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Tiswas said:
What does it say if you don't really care for either and prefer Mobile Suit Gundam? :p

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
My little brother (A manic Star Wars fan) once asked me 'The Big Question', it took me an entire day to come with an answer.

I really enjoy both series, but each for different reasons, if you asked me to compare "Next Generation" with "A New Hope", I would say that I enjoyed the plot of NG more, but I liked the characters in NH better.

Essentially, it all comes down to personnel preference, Mac or PC? Coke or Pepsi? Star Wars Or Star Trek? In the end, all that really matters is that you can sit down with a fan as dedicated to something as you are, and have a magnificent conversation about it, whether or not you take the opposite side.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Runsta said:
Neither. Both are inferior to Babylon 5. Yes, I went there.
Amen to that.

Personally, I've never been able to get into Star Wars. They're entertaining to watch, but even when I was younger I didn't think they were particularly brilliant and the popularity they have and how much people defend them really baffles me at times.

Anyway, Farscape beats everything.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
Plinglebob said:
Runsta said:
Neither. Both are inferior to Babylon 5. Yes, I went there.
Amen to that.

Personally, I've never been able to get into Star Wars. They're entertaining to watch, but even when I was younger I didn't think they were particularly brilliant and the popularity they have and how much people defend them really baffles me at times.

Anyway, Farscape beats everything.
Man, I love me some Farscape. As for the the original question, there was a time when it would have been relatively easy for me to say Star Wars. However as time has passed I have begun to like Star Trek more and more. Lucas' bull crap over the last little over a decade has not helped Star Wars' cause either.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Im a Star wars fan...i liked how you summed us up.....:D we Wars fans souond pretty cool indeed.
But i like Star Trek a bit too....i say a little bit simply because i didnt have access to alof ot the Trek episodes. I do remember watching the series on TV but i was way too young and i barely remember anything....shit i just know proffesor Xavier from ST -_- i was just a kiddo.
But Star Wars was a huge thing ni my country and i grew up under its influence so i am a Wars fan. Now i could say even if i sit down n watch all Trek series n movie n comics n bla bla that id still like Star Wars...but that would be true only because im already a huge wars fan and it will be impossible to make the transition.
But they both did their jobs at shaping nerd pop culture so im happy the 2 franchises are still strong :)

Feb 13, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
But not limiting my choices. Doctor Who beats everything ever.
Exactly what I would have said.

Star Wars has been tainted by the meddling of an idiot creator, Star Trek is boyscouts in space with universe resets all around, Babylong 5 is long, Farscape is just focussing on the costumes and the pretty girls.

And no mention of Space 1999? For shame!

Only Who is supreme. It never has that.

*cough*

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I've never been a fan of either. Although I'm going to choose Star Trek because Patrick Stewart has the coolest voice in the world, and for that reason only. I'll just go back to my bubble of not caring now.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
man i love the jedi's mythos in star wars

but i also love the captains & crew of star trek

y cant we just love them both equally.