The Big Divisive Question: Star Wars Or Star Trek?

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
The heart of Star Wars lies in Mysticism and the heart of Star Trek lies in Science.

The schism will be bridged only when religion and science coalesce and combust in an ejaculation of glorious space-ultra-violence!!!

MatsJn

Battlefield control, terminated.
Nov 30, 2009
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
MatsJn said:
What about us Babylon 5 fans?
We win by default.
Sure, Capt. Picard is pretty cool guy, but he´s no Garibaldi.
And don't forget that Bester would kick Chekov's ass from one side of the galaxy to the other =D

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Batsamaritan said:
Babylon 5 all the way baby!
MatsJn said:
MatsJn said:
We win by default.
And don't forget that Bester would kick Chekov's ass from one side of the galaxy to the other =D
You guys...You actually exist?
I'M NOT ALONE!

MatsJn

Battlefield control, terminated.
Nov 30, 2009
Angelo Credo said:
Batsamaritan said:
Babylon 5 all the way baby!
MatsJn said:
MatsJn said:
We win by default.
You guys...You actually exist?
I'M NOT ALONE!
We were never away, we have always been here.

TimbukTurnip

Jan 3, 2009
Baldr said:
RandV80 said:
I wonder if age is a factor here? Star Trek debuted in 1973 as a TV series, while Star Wars debutted in the movie theatres in 1973
Wait what? Try 1966 for the original Star Trek series and 1976 for A New Hope.

Basically it comes down to this:

Star Trek is based futuristic technology based in Science
Star Wars is based off Myth and Fantasy that is almost Magic

So the question here is Science vs Magic.
You're kidding right? The amount of crap they make up on star trek is rediculous. For a start, the replicators they use to make anything are completely impossible. I highly doubt that anyone will ever see a replicator at any point in the future.
Listen to Volatire's song 'USS Make Shit Up', that shows what I mean quite well.

OT: I prefer Star Wars, but I like both. However, the only similarity I've ever seen between the two is they both begin with the word star and are set mainly in space. Other than that they're completely different, and I've never seen why people compare the two.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
TimbukTurnip said:
You're kidding right? The amount of crap they make up on star trek is rediculous. For a start, the replicators they use to make anything are completely impossible. I highly doubt that anyone will ever see a replicator at any point in the future.
Listen to Volatire's song 'USS Make Shit Up', that shows what I mean quite well.

OT: I prefer Star Wars, but I like both. However, the only similarity I've ever seen between the two is they both begin with the word star and are set mainly in space. Other than that they're completely different, and I've never seen why people compare the two.

Replicators have a basis in nanotechnology and could work theoretically. There already labs that restructure atoms on a daily basis. It have to take several decades of research and design before even coming close to Star Trek.

Mash711

Jan 28, 2011
"...the only similarity I've ever seen between the two is they both begin with the word star and are set mainly in space. Other than that they're completely different, and I've never seen why people compare the two."

I agree. Why does anyone compare the two?
I prefer Star Trek because there are some very good meanings in there (Peace on earth, racial equality).