The Big Lie of Brandon Crisp

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Actually, on reflection, its like watching a section of "Conservapedia: The Movie"

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Does anyone ever thought about blaming Little Brandon for,well, being a moron?

It's tragic but I find it hard to sympathise with someone who ran away to 'show' his "awful" mother, who took away his beloved console because he was failing his grades.Please forgive me for not joining Brandon's "BAAAAAAW!" bandwagon, while more teenage girls are forced into child prostitution as they're running away from their abusive fathers or what you'd call REAL PROBLEMS.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Malygris said:
The Bie Lie of Brandon Crisp

A CBC special report on the death of Brandon Crisp attempts to showcase the horror of videogame obsession, but reveals a completely different kind of horror in the process.

Read Full Article
"Where is this kind of Enquirer-level garbage journalism coming from? My guess is that it's the same sort of thickheadedness that led to the Fox News/Mass Effect debacle in early 2008: A belief that demonizing videogames is not only good for ratings but also the sort of indiscriminate headline-grabbing attack that can be made with impunity because videogamers are either kids or weirdos. We don't matter."
Did we watch the same programme? I saw a mostly fair and balanced piece on how games appear to be influencing children.

The fifth estate was clearly against gamng at this level. However, they spoke to the family and friends. They gave equal time and consideration to both sides of the argument. They spoke to a past gaming addict, phychologists, professional gamers, the CEO of major league gaming, an industry spokeswoman for the console manufacturers in Canada. Each of them was allowed to talk about games and their view on restricting content. They let them mention how the events that led to Brandon's death were unrelated to gaming which, like I said was acknowledged by the programme makers.

Unlike the "Sexbox Mass Effect" nonsense the programme took the time to examine the content of the game and interactions between players. The only glaring mistake was the talk of online competitive play with single player video in the background and the presenter confusing the Mastger Chief with a robot.

I think your pro-gaming attitude has led you to write this off as sensationalism when it is actually a decent and well made piece. While the programme makers were critical of gaming to this level I think overall it was presented with equal consideration given to all sides.

confernal

Feb 5, 2009
How in the He(double hockey sticks) does somebody think violence video games cause kids to act violent? Have they ever turned on a Tv show or even a news report? You have bodies laying in the streets and buildings on fire, not to mention movies in which people die horrible, horrible deaths...cough: saw...(you don't thinks kids don't sneak into those do you?). Why would a clearly animated or digital picture attached to a stick make kids any more violent then the orgy of war and sex already going on in our culture? Espically with parrents taking them to movies above then their recomended ratings.

confernal

Feb 5, 2009
True but games already have labels on them.... Telling parrents that their kid should not buy restricted games but then the parrents go ahead and buy them anyway, then get pissed that the game is so violent. It said it on the box before they bought it that the game was violent.

I_LIKE_CAKE

Oct 29, 2008
I could only make it through 20 minutes of that garbage. Andy Chalk is a brave man for watching the whole thing. The media constantly scapegoating tragic accidents on video games is getting old.

JamminOz07

Nov 19, 2008
Didn't this kid fall out of a tree? Let's blame all trees! They can't even talk back! We can cut them all down just in case another kid one day climbs one and falls out of it!

I have absolutely no idea how videogames are even relevant to this story. It's a total bullshit media beat up.... Oh yeah, that's what the media do, so why is anyone surprised?

Deathbird

Jan 30, 2008
Proving once again that parents failing on responsibilities will blame anything they can..hey at least now they can profit off their dead son like all self respecting parents would. :(

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
Sorry but is this news as thought was fact that U.S main media outlets blame video games for everything? Give if a few more generations then we won't have to hear about as all they doing is pandering to the 40+ demographic who still ignorant of our pastime and still think it for kids. Soon as those born in late 80's is their main target audience then will stop hearing all this scare scaremongering of other forms of media and entertainment other than TV as who here knows of anyone in 30's and below who hasn't played video games, regularly surf the net and social networking sites? Sure not all wise to take media outlets with a grain of salt and just lap it in but will always be the case but at least that percentage is gradually getting smaller.

leugim789

May 29, 2008
actually brandon seems to be all but forgotten, i know a girl who fell from a tree and broke her ass, literally. this people do suffer from a bad case of moron, but it would be like me getting blamed for her falling out of that tree because that day i called her a *****. just like it was his own stupid idea to climb a tree therefore he should be blamed not a game unless it was "Super Awesome Tree Climb Time and How You Can Do It: The Game"

Smiles

Mar 7, 2008
I just want to point out that watching that show got me riled up enough to post a comment on cbc's message board and when I got there I discovered that most of the messages were about how biased and wrong the show was, and not many of the people there actually took their bullshit arguments seriously.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
This is the actual show...
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2008-2009/top_gun/video.html
...now register your disgust, people. ;-)

This show was entirely about demonizing video games and had nothing to do about Brandon Crisp. I hope Brandon's parents are not too offended by the Fifth Estate's obvious agenda. This is one of the reasons why I haven't watched TV in over 5 years.

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
The fifth estate was one of the few decent expose-style news shows on TV, and then they had to fuck with videogames. No news group (North American at least) has ever, EVER made a pro-gaming article. They all seem to jump on the anti-gamer bandwagon like every man and his FOX.

Nowadays, if the name Brandon Crisp is mentioned, you can be sure a shitstorm of half-baked anti-gamer arguments is on its way. Which is a shame cause, from what I can tell, Brandon was a good kid. It's a real shame that anti-gamers decided to try to capitalize on his death. Fucking bastards.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I don't know what the CBC's website policy is for commenting on shows, but the "discussion" is now closed on the Top Gun episode. Don't let that stop you from emailing them though. ;-)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I am personally privy to the fact that the CBC is completely full of stupidity,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_Giant#Controversies

I'm James G. Gardiner's Great Grandson, my Grand Mother being his last surviving daughter. She doesn't really care about a CBC special one way or another, but there was alot of buzz about this when it went down.

The point is that The CBC is a sensationalist outlet that rarely checks its facts.

This case is no different.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Wow. This is by far my favorite article on The Escapist. If it wan't real it would be hilarious.