The Big Lie of Brandon Crisp

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
Lonan said:
She never said that there wasn't a rating system, she said that there wasn't a huge banner saying "PARENTS: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME FOR YOUR CHILDREN IF THEY ARE UNDER 17" or something to that effect. And there was absolutely no sarcasm in there at all, did you really think I was making fun of the program? How the hell could you think that? It was blatantly for it. How in God's name do you get the idea that this is an evil anti-gaming program? I heard this before when the the minions of this site railed against this boy and his parents and the media when he left home, and somehow thought that he was dumb, and his parents and the media were the anti-game or something. I also heard someone saying his parents shouldn't have been against him for playing more games than sports. With sports, you actually move around and it's good for your body. Do you care about nothing more than games? Also, have you considered the effects of your huge electricity use on the environment?
There's this thing called choice, I might just make different ones than you.

I think the anti-sports argument has to do with the large amounts of aggression some of us associate with sports.

By the way, I got the impression it was an anti-gaming program from the article this very thread is about.

Have you considered the effects the electricity you're using could have on the environment?
Considering I brought it up in the first place, yes I have considered the effects of my electricity use on the environment. As for your third line, getting the impression that it was an anti-gaming article because of one person's writing in ridiculous. The boy is dead, considering the circumstances, I think the CBC kept a cool head when talking about the game. And for the record, I am not anti-gaming, I do love games, (Clearly, or I wouldn't be here) but I think it would be pretty fair to say that you need a balanced lifestyle, which this show thought as well, and was shocked to encounter the very unbalanced lifestyles of these gamers. Even in WORLD OF WARCRAFT of all games, it says "Remember to take all things in moderation, even World of Warcraft!" Many people ignore that loading screen message. Many people don't take COD4 and Halo in moderation either. If this show was attacking anything, it was attacking the hardcore, never stop playing gamer who certainly does not have a balanced life. Then everyone starts saying it's the zenith of evil. And just to touch on your last line again, what the hell is that about, it's no better than "Your gay." "No, YOUR GAY!" And it isn't could, electricty consumption DOES increase demand on coal fired power plants, and your use during peak hours (4-7) have an impact on how much is burned. As for "there's this thing called choice, I might just make different ones than you" is that referring to gaming habits? If so I don't care what your choices are, but when they effect other people, those choices are open for judgement. Twelve hours of gaming a day uses a HUGE amount of electricity, and will add, however much it may be, to the droughts and general water crisis which will start happening in the third world, where many people probably haven't even heard of video games and will not have the choice you seem to hold so dearly, of having ample water supplies by 2050. The UN estimates that there will be one hundred million environmental refugees by that time. Everyone in the western world who uses electricity will be at fault, but since you aren't everyone in the western world, there's only one question I want to ask you: how much do YOU use?
As for sports, it doesn't matter if you don't like the aggression you associate with sports, what matters is that he went from activity to inactivity. Associating aggression with sports is nothing more than prejudice, a single perception of something, and that perception is negative. However, speaking of blatant prejudice, you claim that the host is prejudiced against gaming, and based on my definition of prejudice, that is hardly true. She said she had fun playing Halo, even when it looked like it was a very basic and not fun part of the game she was playing. She then said that she could understand how someone could get deeply sucked into the game and not come out. She didn't say GAMES ARE EVIL BAR-RAR-RAR! She clearly subscribes to that oppressive ideology which says that one should have a balance in their lives.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Anonymouse said:
Wait so this kid died from getting outside and climbing a tree? Where are the reports about that? "Outside activity kills young fuckwit" or perhaps "How video games save lives".
I really wanna watch this show now, I mean I have always hated the media but this sounds like its 5 steps too far and from the freaking canadians no less... We would expect it from americans but christ.
That's true, when you leave the house, there are certain risks involved. You might get hit by a car, you might get shot, you might fall into a river and drown. This reminds me of a poem by someone, I can't remember all of it, but it went something like this:
Don't look, you might see
Don't listen, you might hear
Don't touch, you might feel
Don't speak, you might be heard
and it goes on and on.

Aginor27

Aug 13, 2008
I watched the whole thing. The part where the host "Oh well these warnings don't say this is why the game is mature etc", made me really mad. The games clearly do say why it is rated that way, and the host-Gillian Findlay I believe it was- just tried to make it seem like it's all the industry's fault, not the Crisp's fault for not monitoring their sons habits, and then not believing him when he ran away from home on a bike he hadn't rode on in 3 years.

It was a shoddy report at best.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Googled it (@Lonan)

------------------------------
Don?t look, you might see.

Don?t listen, you might hear.

Don?t think, you might learn.

Don?t walk, you might stumble.

Don?t run, you might fall.

Don?t risk, you might fail.

Don?t live, you might die

---------------------------

. . . I kindof like it.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
good article Andyman.

I'd have preferred to see cbc do a show on America's Army videogame which actually serves as a tool to recruit new soldiers, ultimately planting the seed that people who are good at fps should be pointing real guns at real people.