The Big Picture: A Disturbance In The Force

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
A Disturbance In The Force

MovieBob give us some insight concerning the choice of J.J. Abrams to direct the next film in the Star Wars franchise.

Watch Video

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Well bob, on that last part on fanboys, I agree with you.

But I think fanboys have not only affect the movie industy, they have affect the game industy too, just look at ME 3, just ugh.

Since when did fanboy become another word for hater.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Yeah you did overreact but I agree with the whole 'in control of Star Wars and Star Trek' thing. It was the first thing that popped into my head when I heard this news. Those are so heavy burdens to carry and I don't think he has the stamina to do it. Maybe one but not both.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
When you put it that way the prospect of Abrams directing the new Star Wars is even more terrifying than I initially thought, but you know what? I just don't care about Star Wars anymore.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I do find it odd that they picked the same guy who did Star Trek to do Star Wars. They're two almost entirely different franchises that share only a word and a target audience demographic.

Think about that: other than the general "sci fi" genre, what exactly do the two series have in common from a content perspective?

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Aparrently Matthew Vaughn was close and Chloe Moretz was apparently pitched as the lead for episode 7. Spielberg was the first choice but turned it down and pushed for Abrams.

Smurf McSmurfington

Jun 24, 2010
I'm surprised you didn't mention Zack Snyder as a more interesting choice anywhere in your video(Yeah, I know, in practice that can't happen, due to him being with WB and all that, but still, just imagine how interesting it could possibly turn out to be with him helming the film).

Overall... yeah, you do have a point.

It's an unfortunate turn of events, really...
Let's hope it doesn't end up being as bland as it probably will.
But even if it does end up being just as bland as expected...
canadamus_prime said:
When you put it that way the prospect of Abrams directing the new Star Wars is even more terrifying than I initially thought, but you know what? I just don't care about Star Wars anymore.
That sentiment applies to me as well.

cyvaris

May 10, 2011
The Cameron shot got me laughing more than it should have.

I always enjoy watching Bob rant, usually because he throws out some interesting ideas. I like the "what is driving these writers" thing because it made me go back and reflect on my own drives for my work. So thanks for that.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
Initially I was fine with Abrams because a decent movie with lightsabers seemed good enough but Bob's Big Picture has made me rethink that.

Maybe good enough isn't good at all and we should still hold out for great; but as for the idea of Abrams vision dominating, I think the point is well overstated. His star trek has, in no way, obscured or replaced either the original or TNG and however excellent the sequel may be it will not rewrite that mental template either. He can contribute and I think he still might be able to contribute something good to that star wars epic (provided somebody hides his lens flare in a bin somewhere) but maybe that's still not good enough... its just so hard to hold up anything but mediocre expectations for anything star wars related anymore... and Abrams does fit that bill.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
JJ Abrams: the HALO of film directors.
But still, do we know who the producer is?
Neill Blomkamp and Peter Jackson were going to direct the Halo movie.
Then made District 9. :D

Wouldn't the decade long knee jerk reaction into safeness be a symptom of the more chaotic world and older demographic that now exists?

Posit that as the generation that grew up in the late 1970s and early 1980s now reach the age of real responsibility of being 30-something?

As well as on going global economic pantie twisting and the "War on Terror" (surprisingly apt name for this idea) pushes the popular culture away from radical new ideas, like Tim Burton's Batman, and towards touch-stone issue movies like the Christopher Nolan vision.

Neither are 'bad' but the latter is arguably more 'safe' than the former.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Andrew Stanton?

You really think Disney was gonna let him near a big budget effects movie after the soul crushing borefest and disatrous box office bomb that was John Carter? It's pretty obvious Stanton can't handle this type of movie.

All I'm getting from this video is you saying, "Abrams is okay, but I still just don't like him."

wyldefire

Feb 27, 2008
For my money, Blomkamp would better serve the Star Trek universe than the Star Wars universe. Star Wars is meant to be light and breezy, and Trek to be slower, deeper, and more thoughtful. I can only imagine what Blomkamp would do with 200 million bucks and free reign to reinvent Star Trek.

Occams_Razor

Not as new as you may think...
Oct 20, 2012
Holy Boston Accent Batman!

Something must be tweaking a nerve in Bob...can't imagine what...

Chris Mosher

Nov 28, 2011
JJ Abrams made the best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi when he made Star Trek Reboot.
Maybe we will finally get the best the Star Trek Movie since First Contact.

Anyways, the fact that people care so much about these two Franchises is part of the problem with movies today. Where are the new ideas today. They have both been around for so long and been thoroughly explored that what would get me excited is something that at least pretends to be original. Personally I am looking much more forward to Oblivion or Pacific Rim.

And I have seen a consistent theme in most of Abrams stuff. There is the superficial sci fi ideas of time travel and the alternate worlds that this creates. But there is also the deeper exploration of how regrets effects us and how unintended consequences can bite us in the ass. Mind you I have never scene Alias so I don't know if it fits.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Bob... just promise us you're not going to troll this film for the next two years, like you did with Amazing Spider-Man. That kind of behaviour kind of hurts your credibility as a critic.

It is worth remembering that Abrams isn't actually writing Episode VII, he's just on board to direct. Michael Arendt, the guy who wrote Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3, is in charge of the script. Which has got me feeling optimistic about the project (what can I say? i like those movies). Sure, Abrams will have some input, but it's Arendt holding the pen at the end of the day.

Plus, we have absolutely no concrete word on how long Abrams will be involved in either of the franchises; we don't know if he'll be directing Star Trek 3 (or should that be 13 now?), all Paramount have said is that he'll definitely have a producing credit and that's it, like he did with Mission: Impossible 4 (a film which was, through-and-through, Brad Bird's). We don't even know if Abrams has signed on for Episode VIII.

Let's at least wait until Star Trek Into Darkness before we throw this guy under the bus, shall we?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Disclaimer: I hate JJ Abrams and I'm going to ***** about it and will unconditionally hate the new Star Trek AND Star Wars movies based purely on this notion regardless of their quality.