The Big Picture: A Nerd By Any Other Name

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
MovieBob said:
A Nerd By Any Other Name

This week, Bob examines parallel nerds.

Watch Video
Great points, great video. They are points that I've actually thought about when seeing and talking to sports fans.

The hilarious thing is that I actually have the book that that simple TARDIS schematic comes from.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
I specially like the part where you point out that rooting for such and such team actually has about as much relevance as arguing who would win in a Godzilla-VS-Whoever brawl.

There are sports nuts out there willing to kill for a team that none of the actual owners consider "theirs" in the first place.

And a lot of those fans are NOT phisically fit, the lazy mofos.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Brilliant. I think the crossover between geek/nerd culture and sports fanatic culture is happening in video games right now. I have several friends that use their Playstation 3s for Madden mostly; after one long night of drinking and smoking, I got them to pop in Demons' Souls. They were blown away at how difficult and fun it was. Three of them went and bought their own copies within the next week. I think many of the sports fans I know represent because it helps them connect to, and express, an inner competitor that they usually keep hidden away from "normal" social situations. It's the same concept with nerds. Nerds also keep their nerditry safely tucked away for the most part, unless they are with other nerds. Thing is, sports fans have an easier time finding a large group of people, (IRL), to share their compulsion with than your average nerd, IMO. Great video Bob. Thanks!

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
Pure awesomeness! You bring up great points Bob. Thanks for that!

If anyone that's a huge sports fan in my family wants to go toe-to-toe about this issue, I'm just going to let you do the talking through this video.

Kumomaru

May 21, 2008
The reason they can't come together is BECAUSE they are exactly the same in almost all aspects, save one. The difference is the nerd stuff has little basis in reality whereas the sports stuff has real life equivalents. Think of a real life equivalent to a guy in a red and blue outfit with super strength, reflexes and the ability to shoot webs. Go on, try. Sports, on the other hand, is a bunch of very real people putting their physical abilities against each other.

Sports maintain the illusion of attainability on a subconscious level, whereas comics maintain an aura of spectacularity. THAT is the difference: A nerd will look for something he won't achieve and go as high as possible, whereas a sports fan will look for something he won't achieve and stop when it's still possible (albeit unlikely)

Just a theory though.

bj_waters

Apr 13, 2009
I just wanted to say that this was the first episode of Big Picture where I actually laughed. Not that the earlier ones were bad, per se (to be honest, I learned a ton with the whole Spider-man/Retcon dealio), but I seem to remember a more entertaining MovieBob in his earlier material. This episode had some of that. Sure, he's always been trying to make a point or show something, but I feel he's been a bit preachy and dull lately. This was a nice breath of fresh air in the MovieBob canon.

tl;dr: great episode, more like this please.

Tiewing

Nov 21, 2010
This video pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Only thing I slightly disagree with is the generalization factor. It still groups people under stereotypes. While more often than not they do a good job of living up to them, I for instance love Star Wars and many other "nerdy and or geeky," type things and I?m absolutely terrible at math.

Redratson

Jun 23, 2009
very good points brought up in this one and after hearing you say all that I was like "holy schnikes that make a disturbing amount of sense! 0.0 "

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I won't read the hundreds of comments but I will point out that the reason obsessing sports and obsessing with... other stuff means different to the general public comes from the biggest divide between Nerd and Non-nerd:
"PHYSICAL ACTIVITY versus MENTAL ACTIVITY"

siddif

Aug 11, 2009
Loved it as usual - I personally am a massive nerd/geek in computer games, sci fi, anime, manga and absorbing useless facts but more recently ive also become engrossed with Ice Hockey especially UK Ice Hockey - I go to every home game of my local team (well 80 miles away), have 2 jerseys and lurk the related websites and everyone thought that was odd - now i can show them this video to explain it haha!

siddif

Aug 11, 2009
Kumomaru said:
The reason they can't come together is BECAUSE they are exactly the same in almost all aspects, save one. The difference is the nerd stuff has little basis in reality whereas the sports stuff has real life equivalents. Think of a real life equivalent to a guy in a red and blue outfit with super strength, reflexes and the ability to shoot webs. Go on, try. Sports, on the other hand, is a bunch of very real people putting their physical abilities against each other.

Sports maintain the illusion of attainability on a subconscious level, whereas comics maintain an aura of spectacularity. THAT is the difference: A nerd will look for something he won't achieve and go as high as possible, whereas a sports fan will look for something he won't achieve and stop when it's still possible (albeit unlikely)

Just a theory though.
Interesting but in reality if you are in your mid 20s-30s and only watching sports - chances are your never gonna live up to the guys you see playing. I know not all TV sports fans just watch but a lot of the community is. Most sporty people I know are too busy playing in a team to actively watch much football

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
MovieBob said:
A Nerd By Any Other Name

This week, Bob examines parallel nerds.

Watch Video

Loved how you addressed what a nerd really is. :D .....btw DAMN THOSE DIRTY PATRIOTS!!!! Jets Lost :(

snd_dsgnr

Feb 14, 2009
Incidentally for the non-sports fans out there, do yourselves a favor and learn to fake it. I'm genuinely interested in the NFL, college basketball, science fiction, video games, and history. Take a stab at which of those things are the easiest to start up a conversation about.

Having a well rounded set of things you're able to converse on is a good thing.