The Big Picture: A Nerd By Any Other Name

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Bob, this was by far your best episode yet. You had excellent points, and I totally see what you're saying. Thank you for not screaming this week and having a normal conversation.

Also, your jab at Yankees fans was great :D

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
HankMan said:
If Yankees fans are Twi-hards(and they SOOOO are), then what are Red Sox fans?
hmmmmm...
Definitely My Little Pony fans, definitely.

Fuck the Red Sox...

<-- Yankees fan.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Because sports are seen as "manly" and math/science/comics and other such nerd stuff isn't. Though I totally agree that sports fans are just closeted nerds.

fielfuego

Dec 29, 2009
Wow! I'm probably not the first, but I was just saying this to a friend (and tweeting this to the masses) while in a sports bar in New York months ago. We were watching football, having some beers, and overhearing some enthusiastic Sports Nerds comparing a wide gamut of player stats a couple seats down. "Sports Nerds!" My exact words! I was certainly proud at the time; at least no one I knew had said it prior.

Damn. Wish I had a web-TV show.

Anyway, well done, Bob! ^.^

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Sports people are nothing like "nerds" they go out with loads of like minded people down to the pub and watch a game.

Nerds sit in cos play clothes watching anime on the internet and masturbating furiously.
OMG ur such a trul dats nut fair

Just becoz Im smarter den dem ppl who go to pubs and play spots I shudent be opprsed cus deyr scared of my intellekt

...MY MUM SAYS I'M COOL

skfd

Apr 6, 2009
Please, explain. Are there people who really read Spiderman (or other big comic franchises) and wait for new releases?

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
This one is vastly superior to your previous big pictures. Well thought out and argued. Got a friend who rattles off professional athletes and their stats as if he were there when they were recorded and he jokes on his cousin because the cleanest thing in his room is his unopened x-men figurines. Tried explaining this same concept to him and he couldn't grasp it.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Regarding 3:45 Your not wearing a Tom Brady costume. Your just wearing a replica shirt.
If you were wearing the full gear, pads and helmet included, then its a costume and then you get the same funny looks you would do if you wore a star fleet costume. A guy at my work came to work in a star fleet hoodie and no one batted an eyelid and if I show up in my american football shirt the same will happen.
If he shows up in full costume, someone will say "Whats that for?"
If I show up in a full american football outfit, someone will say "whats that for?"
But then again I'm likely to show up in shorts tomorrow despite the snow and someone will say "Colin WTF ARE YOU DOIN?!?"

Also great slam on Twilight Fans by calling them Yankies Fans...
hehehehe see what I did there?

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Now this is what The Big Picture should be!

Since this show debuted a month ago or so, I was left feeling a bit empty. I had the impression (which I still believe correct) that this would be a structured rant/discussion on issues around today. But with the first four videos, I didn't really feel that. It seemed more of an unstructured list of facts with no little redeeming value. But this week's video seems a bit different, a closed loop of discussion that can bring us to a new understanding or idea.

I still think The Big Picture can go further with this though. I love all your thoughts on pretty much everything Bob, but I think you can still get a bit more interesting and illuminating with the Big Picture.

But whatever you want to do, keep up the good work!

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
I didn't like this video as much as your previous ones, but it's gotten better responses, and it was very amusing...so don't stop

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
I really liked the other vids a bit more, but that's because I love divergent rants. Fan response was good, though, so don't stop.

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
It has to do with popularity. Few people play dungeons and dragons, tons of people play fantasy football. What is done by a few is viewed as strange and wierd. What is done by many is viewed as cool.

People playing fantasy football in the 1970s were nerds and dorks. Now there's celebrity fantasy football teams because everyone is playing it. It's all a game based on numbers and statistics, it's just popularity.

If you do what everyone else is doing - you're cool. If you're doing something different from the norm - you're strange. That's all it is.