The Big Picture: Batfleck

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Bob loves Affleck because Joss Wheadon loves Affleck. It's as simple as that. Bob can be a very professional film journalist at times, but he has something of a Jekyll and Hyde personality once comic books enter the room. When films based on a comic book or geek show (think Star Trek) come into the picture, Bob loses all objectivity and becomes a gibbering fan boy. He forgets to view the film based on it's qualities and sees it purely based on how well it caters to his fan boy passions.
Time and time again we have seen him worship the all mighty Joss Wheadon, blessed be his name, and treat him as a man who can do or say no wrong.
I am likely wrong, but I like to think that Bob hated the idea of Affleck as Batman before Wheadon showed his support.

In this particular case, I think Bob is actually right, but it doesn't change the fact that he needs to start trying to approach comic book movies with a bit more objectivity and a little less fanboyism.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Li Mu said:
Bob loves Affleck because Joss Wheadon loves Affleck. It's as simple as that. Bob can be a very professional film journalist at times, but he has something of a Jekyll and Hyde personality once comic books enter the room. When films based on a comic book or geek show (think Star Trek) come into the picture, Bob loses all objectivity and becomes a gibbering fan boy. He forgets to view the film based on it's qualities and sees it purely based on how well it caters to his fan boy passions.
Time and time again we have seen him worship the all mighty Joss Wheadon, blessed be his name, and treat him as a man who can do or say no wrong.
I am likely wrong, but I like to think that Bob hated the idea of Affleck as Batman before Wheadon showed his support.

In this particular case, I think Bob is actually right, but it doesn't change the fact that he needs to start trying to approach comic book movies with a bit more objectivity and a little less fanboyism.
Where'd you get that idea from? If you followed his Twitter, you'll see Bob's been defending Ben Affleck since the first announcement. Know what his reasons were?

Hollywoodland, State of Play, The Town and Argo. No mention of Joss Whedon anywhere. He's a film critic for god's sake, when he says Affleck's a good actor, he knows what he's talking about.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't understand why people hate the idea of Batfleck. In fact, out of all the actors EVER to play Bruce Wayne, he actually looks like him the most. He can pull off the playboy billionaire with a dark secret better than Christian Bale. I'm only saddened that he's gonna be in the Superman movie instead of his own Batman series.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Kingjackl said:
Where'd you get that idea from? If you followed his Twitter, you'll see Bob's been defending Ben Affleck since the first announcement. Know what his reasons were?

Hollywoodland, State of Play, The Town and Argo. No mention of Joss Whedon anywhere. He's a film critic for god's sake, when he says Affleck's a good actor, he knows what he's talking about.
I don't follow Bob on twitter. If that is the case, then I partially retract my comment. But I will still stand by my statement that Bob needs to be less of a fanboy and more of an objective film reviewer (e.g. He needs to reserve judgement on JJ Abrams Star Wars until he's actually seen it, rather than write dozens of articles fueled by geek hate towards Abrams)

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Li Mu said:
Kingjackl said:

I don't follow Bob on twitter. If that is the case, then I partially retract my comment. But I will still stand by my statement that Bob needs to be less of a fanboy and more of an objective film reviewer (e.g. He needs to reserve judgement on JJ Abrams Star Wars until he's actually seen it, rather than write dozens of articles fueled by geek hate towards Abrams)
Okay, on that we can agree. The worst for me is whenever he opens his trap about 'The Amazing Spiderman'. It was a perfectly average movie, not the coming of the antichrist that he made it out to be.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
The Internet proved its worth in making casting decisions when it wept and screamed and protested at the call to cast Heath Ledger as The Joker.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I now can't see this video/thread's title without reading "Buttfleck", which is all kinds of unpleasant. Thought I should share that with you all.

Miroluck

Jun 5, 2013
A thing from the video (when scenes with Bale's voice are shown) - why does everyone complain about Bale-Batman's voice?

I get that it's often used unnecessarily - like when Batman talks to someone who already knows his secret identity - but why was it bad idea in on itself? What, is he supposed to just speak in his usual voice? I mean, I would've installed special device for voice-changing into his suit, instead of "gargling marbles" method, but still.

I rememer having this thought about superhero animated series/movies, too - why doesn't anybody recognize Spiderman by his voice, even his girlfriends? MST3000 mantra notwithstanding.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
MovieBob said:
Batfleck

MovieBob gives us the ins and outs of the new Batman and his alter ego Ben Affleck.

Watch Video
Im glad others see what a truely horrible charecter Batman is.

Batman is like Ayn Rands wet dream. Gotham city as as a society would fall without this one super wealthy, super important individual. Multi-Billionaire white industrialist Bruce Wayne is born to elite mega wealthy parents. He inherits his wealth, and apparently superior genetics. He even inherited a servant.

By day hes the philanthropist giving to the "deserving poor". By night he comes down from his bat themed ivory tower to terrorise, assault and imprison the undeserving poor, ethnic minorities, the mentally ill, and the disabled who never really stand a chance. All with the far better equipment that only he can afford to buy.

Thats before you get onto how as a member of the upper class hes better than than these wretches. Some of them may be physically stronger or excel at one thing but Batman is super intelligent, well trained, strong and mentally tough. Just unbelievabley well rounded and more wealthy.

Then you get onto how hes mastered 100 odd martial arts, multiple weapons and gymnastics. He is in peak physical condition. Add a master detective, an expert in criminology, maths, interrogation, law, psychology, escapology, forensics, computer sciences, engineering, physics, biology, chemistry, it goes on and on. Oh, and hes a prolific inventor. Oh yeah, he can also fly planes and helicopters.

If any of this was at all possible it would have to put him in his 60s to fit in all of his study time.

Superman is about the same, he too was born special. At least he can say hes an alien to explain it.

OT: I think Afleck is a great pick but if the writing is awful it wont matter. WB seems unable to have fun with its charecters which are at their base kids fantasies from comic books. People forget Batman wasnt always "woe is me" teen angst Batman.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
My memory may be fuzzy but it's clear in this video that MovieBob hated Man of steel but in the man of steel video he seemed to sugar coat it? Was it too dangerous to out and out slam it when fanboys were at their most sensitive?

And how was Dogma not mentioned. He had wings!

Miroluck

Jun 5, 2013
MovieBob said:
Batfleck

MovieBob gives us the ins and outs of the new Batman and his alter ego Ben Affleck.

Watch Video
bjj hero said:
MovieBob said:
Batfleck

Watch Video

Batman is like Ayn Rands wet dream. Gotham city as as a society would fall without this one super wealthy, super important individual. Multi-Billionaire white industrialist Bruce Wayne is born to elite mega wealthy parents. He inherits his wealth, and apparently superior genetics. He even inherited a servant.

By day hes the philanthropist giving to the "deserving poor". By night he comes down from his bat themed ivory tower to terrorise, assault and imprison the undeserving poor, ethnic minorities, the mentally ill, and the disabled who never really stand a chance. All with the far better equipment that only he can afford to buy.

snip
Has anyone read a certain "Cracked" article [http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-ugly-lessons-hiding-in-every-superhero-movie/] on awful lessons that superhero movies are teaching their viewers?

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
Bob, you come off as really, really bitter in this video. To me personally, even unpleasantly so. Not saying that "you need to change", or whatever, just thought you might want to know that on the off chance you read the comments.

It's weird too, come to think of it: a video telling people not to be so hateful about something coming off more embittered than most of the complaints were.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
SnakeoilSage said:
Regardless of Affleck's resume, my problem is with DC's weak-wristed handling of their own universe. They're so terrified that people are going to hate their characters that they push out these apologetic versions. Batman is more whiny than intense, barely puts on the costume and the Nolan movies are more about NOT being Batman than being Batman. Green Lantern washed out any hint of the mythology's epic feel to make a milquetoast Iron Man. Wonder Woman isn't even going to be made because apparently she only stands for feminism these days and that's a dirty word on the internet. Superman sells out his own moral code just so he doesn't become the larger-than-life good guy he's supposed to be. And DC keeps scratching their heads when--surprise, surprise--people hate them.
I take it you haven't seen the 2011 pilot for the Wonder Woman series that NBC choose not to do...or air (smart move on their part).

For all practical purposes Warner turned Wonder Woman into Batman with a side order of 'Bill of Rights? What's that?' topped off with some Judge Dredd in that thing. There is a difference between feminism and feminazism and Wonder Woman (2011) crossed that line and keep going for another 100 miles.

Superthug does not even _being_ to describe what Wonder Woman is in that thing. After that fiasco I can understand why DC doesn't want to try another go at the character.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
More than anything having to do with Ben Affleck, I'm just happy to hear someone vocalize my batman complaint I've been rephrasing for the better part of a decade. I don't like superheroes because they remove the concept of heroism away from something anyone can do and make it into something only people who were already special for some other reason first can do. Superman is an Alien, the X-Men all have superpowers, Thor is a God, ect. These are not stories about things you can do if you find yourself in a situation and can act selflessly. These are stories of people who received something from an outside force that just makes them better than you and now they use it in whatever way they see fit. Equality? Nope, you're meant to side with the guys who were born with what they need. Batman was always the first character anyone ever went to in an attempt to counter my argument. "Batman doesn't have any super-powers and yet he's still a hero!" they'd say. To which his inherited super-fortune and purchased super-gadgets would be my retort. Batman still has abilities that place him above you. His super-power is simply to have been born with enough money to win. Superheroes are, at their heart, a fascist concept and I couldn't be more pleased that someone else sees it, at least in Batman.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Miroluck said:
MovieBob said:
Batfleck

Watch Video
bjj hero said:
MovieBob said:
Batfleck

Watch Video

snip
Has anyone read a certain "Cracked" article [http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-ugly-lessons-hiding-in-every-superhero-movie/] on awful lessons that superhero movies are teaching their viewers?
Id not read that but it was very good. It probably sums up why I preferred UK stuff like 2000AD. Slain, sinister dexter, Finn the witch, Nicholai Dante. My favourite Batman was the one that was arrested as a vigilante by Judge Dredd.

It probably why I preferred Punisher to batman. He was a Nam vet whod lost the plot and owned a shit load of weapons. Makes you think it might have been very different if hed got some therapy or counselling.