The Big Picture: Batfleck

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Batfleck

MovieBob gives us the ins and outs of the new Batman and his alter ego Ben Affleck.

Watch Video

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
I forgot this happened, that is how much I don't care. Btw, Batman is too much of a Gary Stew to really be interesting, and I'm getting tired of that bloody character. Why is one actor playing a overrated character international news?

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I too wonder if Affleck is going to direct the Justice League movie and I do wonder if that was part of the reason why Warner Bros hired him to be Batman.

Gorbachof

Apr 17, 2011
I don't know... I'll always miss Kevin Conroy as Batman. Hopefully the DCAU isn't dead.

Also: Mitt Romney with a Doomsday Bunker and a Leather fettish? WHAT!?
well at least now I have a new Skype quote...

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Well if nothing else, it's nice and refreshing to see someone actually EXCITED to see Aflek (Afflek? AFLAC?) be the guy picked for Batman. Mind you, I have no opinion on the whole thing because an actor is an actor and in general the final product is what is important there, but still... nice to see a different opinion.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
You can tell Bob's making a rant video when he's talking in his Boston accent.

Yeah, I didn't really care about Ben Affleck here. Why? Because I've long since lost interest in Superman. He's just too powerful for me to care. If they went back to his original power set where he couldn't fly, that'd be a good start. I might regain my interest if they also made it so that while his skin is bulletproof, the bullets still hurt quite a bit and he can suffer from burn wounds.

Oh, and if they stopped having him designed with poster-child gelled hair. That shit just instantly says, "Too good to be true" and ruins any suspension of disbelief.

Off-topic: dish can kiss my ass.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Oh man. I don't agree with all your assessments Bob, but that bit about Mitt Romney with a leather fettish literally... LITERALLY... made me laugh out loud. It was a guffaw even. So Kudos on the L-LOL.

I'm a Ben Affleck fan. Have been since Mallrats. But I'm having trouble seeing him in the role. Here's hoping that I'm way off base and he'll be good.

Flexei

Sep 10, 2008
Judging by Bob's Boston accent being more prevalent than usual in this one, he must be pretty fired up. :)

and agreed... nice to finally hear a different, positive opinion of the casting.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I know Bob suddenly decided to completely hate on Batman rises after his quite moderately critically review of the movie but Rises a debacle on par with Green lantern? come on! It wasn't even a bad movie.

Actually the same goes for man of steel. His review called it good but disappointing and soon after that it became the worst thing ever according to him. Unlike with Rises bob actually admitted it with man of steel but no matter what you think of the new Superman it wasn't as bad as Green lantern, not nearly.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
MovieBob said:
Batfleck

MovieBob gives us the ins and outs of the new Batman and his alter ego Ben Affleck.

Watch Video
You have good points and Ben Affleck is a great talent but let me comment on this whole batman as vengeance against hope things.

The times are changing; the world has become more dark and painful as even with all the advances in science, our humanity has become more chaotic in war, politics, and isolation. If I was to make a superhero movie, it would be a deconstruction with brutality in both visuals and tone of Eva. Many things that people like have so much tied to many things that we hate and there are no true paragons; a movie that rips into the beloved heroes such as superman could work but only if you are willing to destroy all of the tropes and rebuild him.

Yes, Batman as vengeance and ideological enemy has ruined comics but at the same time, I would rather have a story that rips and tears into what we love than a story of hope, optimism and triumph

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
This is one of those rare times I was able to accurately predict the nature of this week's episode. I'm surprised he didn't have an ending card about it on Friday for MovieBob.

varmintx

Oct 6, 2011
I don't particularly care who plays Batman, I'm disappointed I won't be getting a new film directed by Ben Affleck because of this. The man's 3/3 and I was really looking forward to his next one.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I don't get what the big deal is either. If Affleck can pull it off, then great! If not... eh, I got nothin'. Either way, this should be interesting... though hopefully they're not going with the over-used "Batman VS Superman" angle.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Hades said:
I know Bob suddenly decided to completely hate on Batman rises after his quite moderately critically review of the movie but Rises a debacle on par with Green lantern? come on! It wasn't even a bad movie.

Actually the same goes for man of steel. His review called in good but disappointing and soon after that it became the worst thing ever according to him. Unlike with Rises bob actually admitted it with man of steel but no matter what you think of the new Superman it wasn't as bad as Green lantern, not nearly.
I think that he's merely putting them together because of influence and similarities in tone and inability to create the characters that they needed. Regardless, it would be nice to see a big picture in which he explains why his opinions have changed for Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel and what he believes is the main thing wrong with them.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
What? MovieBob is doing his Big Picture this week about Ben Affleck as Batman? I certainly hope someone picks up that phone because I called it!

Man Bob, you could really say a lot of people have Ben Affleckted by this news, huh?

In all seriousness, I was pretty psyched about the news, for a lot of the same reasons you mentioned. He's a talented director and actor who actually likes comic books.

And to the people who bring up Daredevil, yes it was 10 years ago, but let's also remember that Daredevil was not bad BECAUSE of Affleck.

I finally saw Man of Steel last week, and truth is, I didn't really think it was good or bad. Y'know what I did think it was though? Boring. Really really boring. I'd forgotten my phone so I couldn't glance down to check the time at all during it, so about halfway through, I honestly just started counting in increments of 60.

So yeah Bob, I'm with you on this one. I like the idea of Affleck as Batman, but I dunno how this is gonna work out.

With any luck, even if Superman vs. Batman ends up being not that good, it'll at least launch an Affleck starring Batman solo run that...MAYBE will actually give us Robin this time? A real Robin I mean, not Chris O'Donnel or Joseph Gordon Levitt.

Oh, and off topic but I'm almost finished with your book. I'm on the Ice World chapter right now and I'm really liking it.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Hades said:

Actually the same goes for man of steel. His review called in good but disappointing and soon after that it became the worst thing ever according to him. Unlike with Rises bob actually admitted it with man of steel but no matter what you think of the new Superman it wasn't as bad as Green lantern, not nearly.
To be fair, he does explain why he doesn't like those movies, the writing. Even calling it Man of Steel's big problem. And yeah, I would agree, the biggest problem with all three movies (well, GL had more but...) was that the writing wasn't that good. The action in Man of Steel was pretty solid, if out of character, but that would go more towards the writing.

Also, it probably goes without saying but opinion change and my biggest problem with both Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Rises is that I enjoyed the first screening but the more I thought about the film, the more I realized that I didn't like it. It also probably didn't help that I was forced to see both movies five times.

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
Which episode of Good Easts did he take the frame he used to punctuate the phrase "red flag". anyways...

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
My feelings about this news has yet to change. I still feel unsure that Affleck is fit for the role. Batman is a character that is based around his dominating persona built by anger over the loss of his parents and dedication to rid his city of the evil that robbed him of that innocence. Even with his Daredevil role, he couldn't pull off the character because he always comes off as either too friendly or tries to pass as menacing but looks like he's playing pretend. Yes, he's a much different actor/director than he was over a decade ago but he has yet to prove himself worthy of this role and there are many other actors better suited for this.

However, Bob brought up a few good points in his argument. Perhaps Ben Affleck will take Batman in a more playful approach like in BM:TAS or in The Brave and the Bold (both shows are awesome and worth a look). I wouldn't mind that because it would be better than seeing two actors in tights trying to out-brood one another. I want to see way more levity in the DC Comics movies but this comes back to the bigger issue regarding the upcoming Superman/Batman film and previous DC Comics movies. Warner Brothers and DC Comics don't understand these characters and they do not have a solid plan to carry out. This is why Green Lantern, Man of Steel, and the 2011 Wonder Woman TV pilot failed miserably. Each was a major departure from the source material and they brought in actors and filmmakers that were not suited for this kind of project.

I might be wrong about this and this crossover movie may rise above the failures of the past. But, given that the same creative team behind this did Man of Steel (OK, Nolan has left the project. But still... ) and that neither company has learned from their mistakes, I'm not feeling that optimistic about it.

Also, Bob went full on Bostonian in this episode. I wonder why... ;P

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
You know what I really don't get about Warner Bros. and their fixation on making DC Comics movies? Why are they content to keep Bruce Timm and Paul Dini writing and creating the animated movies of the DC universe, when they're a few of the only people lately that made Batman or Justice League itself work outside of comic book form? It's silly that the creators of some of the best content DC has had in the last 20 years, the duo that made Harley Quinn, Red Claw and the Justice Lords, can't be coaxed to make the jump to writing for the big time.

As it stands, I'm at least glad Nolan seems to have dropped out of producing the DC films anymore. I quite enjoyed his Batman films, but they only worked in his own universe because Batman was one of the more realistic superheroes ever created. Putting him in an ultra-realistic setting is Nolan's thing and it worked, but putting Superman in the same scenario clearly ended in compromises and a lot of tension between Nolan and Snyder. Those two were never gonna work well long term, as they tend to create media on the very opposite ends of the spectrum. You can almost tell that Nolan held back Snyder during the hour-and-a-half exposition of Man of Steel, then finally let him go and went 'alright I'm done, have your 45 minute fight scene'.

Affleck should be fine at Batman, as long as they let him be comic Batman. Having Nolan out of the picture I think will help, but I'm still not sure if David Goyer is capable of writing a comic book movie that's out of Nolan's comfort zone. With Nolan gone, Goyer might slip away as well... which might not be a bad thing. And that brings me back to the first paragraph and the Timm/Dini team getting involved. A guy can dream.