The Big Picture: Batman Revisited, Part 1

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Batsamaritan said:
Given the insane amount of re-writes and studio interference before shooting began its a miracle the film was any good at all. Originally it was meant to be an adaptation of alan moores killing joke and some of that can still be seen in the movie.
That would explain how it feels to me. I agree with Bob in that it is a Mess of a movie. Not BAD persay, but you can jump in at almost any point of the movie and you won't feel like you missed much scene wise, but that you missed enough for it to make sense. It just bounces around that much.

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
yourbeliefs said:
Compared to other movies like Iron Man, The Avengers, X Men, Spiderman, etc etc it's hard to hold Batman up on the same pedestal that I used to.
Out of the one's you listed, Tim Burton's Batman is better than Iron Man (overrated) and the first X-Men.

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
e.wlmo4 said:
To your no other movie being as influential I throw another film into the ring. Transformers (unfortunately).
When I saw Avengers I actually noticed a lot of similarities to Transformers 3 (action sequences, plot line, chaotic last hour, etc).

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
The first Burton Batman movie is still my favorite to date. The Joker is portrayed much better than Ledger's. My idea of the Joker is almost like "the first /b/ member." Someone that does sick things, but still manages to make the audience laugh. There were plenty of times Nicholson did that, but the only time I felt that way with Ledger's joker was when he was pressing the button repeatedly to blow up the hospital. THAT is a joker moment, only the Joker would make me have to stop to realize, "Hey, I'm laughing at a hospital being blown up!"

And the Joker killing the Batman's parents has been used so many times since then it's basically canon now. It DOES fit in with the more in-depth psychology of it all. I remember in one of the cartoons (<-not sure) the Joker says something along the lines of "We're one and the same; I created you, and you created me."

TWEWER

Feb 8, 2009
Thank God I am not the only person on the internet that thinks that the Tim Burton Batman movie was really weak.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Ive been noticing a tend lately with MovieBob, didnt wanna say anything but this vid confirms it.

Its seems to me that Bob will often go back and look at a show or movie from 10, 20+ years ago and judge them how we would look at stuff now. I mean critics are their to point out flaws , but when you watch something from 10, 20 years ago you have to think about the time period and what was happening at that time. Trends and styles in movies change every so often, you have to look at it and say "How does this compare with movies/shows of that time period? How where they made, how did they look?, etc..."

I can do the same thing if I wanted. In fact to go so far as to prove my point, Star Wars: Ep4, yeah you know where im going with this. I could drive a Mac truck through the collective plot holes of the movie, and could tear down little bits of its story. Then again this was 1977, not 2012, so movies where different back then. Key phrase I want Bob to remember, "For its time..." Star Wars was amazing, their was nothing else like it. It proved that sci-fi and fantasy movies could be serious blockbuster movies.

In closing if im reading to much into this apologies, just how I think should be viewed.

VyseN1

Feb 4, 2011
I'm glad someone has said it. These movies are hugely overrated, IMO. I love the Nolan films, and my friend had me watch this one, saying how much better it was. It was a complete mess from a film making perspective. Very overrated.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I have Tim Burton to thank for Batman Beyond?

THANK YOU TIM BURTON.

...what? I really liked Beyond...