The Big Picture: Batman Revisited, Part 3

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Batman Revisited, Part 3

This time MovieBob takes a good look at Batman Forever and its villains.

Watch Video

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
Batnipples? It's gotta be the batnipples...
What do you think Joel Schumacher is infamous for in the Batman fandom?

Anyway, do you think Bob will bash that movie next week?

Nate Corran

Dec 26, 2009
I always liked Forever the most out of the pre-Begins films. I never felt like Burton loved Batman and, Batman and Robin was just crap. That said, forever feels to me like an amalgamation of the three main types of Batman pervading popular culture at the time: Dark, gritty, 90's comics Batman, the Adam West Batman, which was still locked into the collective minds of the public, and the animated series. For better or for worse it was something that really set itself apart from the Burton films, but regrettably went too far for the sequel.

WarHamster40K

Dec 2, 2009
Na na na na na na na na Bat-Nips!
I cringe in advance. Meanwhile, think there'll be a lead-in with the Nolan Batman movies, or is this line of episodes focusing on just the pre-reboot movies?

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I've always been kind of iffy about the movie. I mean, Nicole Kidman as a blond was the first woman I think I ever stood up and took notice of in my transition from child to teenager, and Jim Carrey was, in my opinion, a great choice for the Riddler. It had it's high and low points, and I still prefer it to Batman Returns, but it's certainly better then Batman & Robin was (again, in my opinion).

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
The only thing that bothered me about batnipples is trying to play the scene where batman decides to add nipples to his costume out in my head.

Batman - "Criminals are as superstitious and cowardly lot. I must use a fearsome image to exploit that fact. I must become a bat. And i must add nipples, because that will really intimidate the thugs."

See, that just doesn't work in my head. Other than that, couldn't care less about bat nipples.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Batman Forever was... interesting. I always had a certain appreciation for "campy" Batman and i did like Joel Schumachers Vegas-esque artstyle. But it should have had some more depth. Tommy Lee Jones' Two Face doesn't work at all and Jim Carreys Riddler wasn't much better. Those two characters would have required subtlety but Schumacher made them into a punchline. Shame about that.

Nate Corran

Dec 26, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Billy Dee Williams is just too damn pretty to be Two-Face.
There is a photoshop somewhere (Cracked maybe?) of Mr. Williams with the style of scarring from forever and it looked *damn* fine. And concerning the pretty thing, Harvey Dent is supposed to be a paragon of good in contrast of the husk of Gotham, so in every version he was pretty, which makes the juxtaposition of his scarring even more jarring.

But yes,
He is very pretty.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
I haven't seen Batman Forever since I saw it in theaters all those years ago. Wow - I can't believe I'd forgotten just how horrid Tommy Lee-Jones' Two-Face makeup was.

Brad Gardner

Jun 5, 2012
I prefer the comical and light stuff much more than the dark stuff. I said before and I will say again Batman and Robin is my favorite because it's fun and funny. I really don't like action movies. Also, I didn't know about the 'bat nips' until someone pointed it out and I still don't care.

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
Chris O'Donnell's career has only just recovered thanks to NCIS:LA
Well thats depressing.

So, Bob's gonna connect the Schumacher bashing to the fact that he is gay?
Oh I hope not, whether or not its true, its pretty clear everyone's beyond it. Its seems like the Halo 'Nazi' thing all over again. Grasping for something that isn't there, blinded by some form of white knight crusader-dom.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
I don't understand the problem with the nipples. If you are going to carve the armour in the shape of abs and pecs, why not nipples?

disappointed

Sep 14, 2011
Is bad casting, boring dialogue and an ugly, nineties, purple and green aesthetic not enough grounds to hate Batman Forever? I mean, it wasn't irredeemable but it's a hard movie to enjoy.