The Big Picture: Best Defense

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Souplex said:
Wanda (Scarlet Witch) has had three major love interests in comic history:...

her brother, (Yes, really.)
HEY! We don't mention those shitty Ultimates comics here! That's a three week suspension from nerdhood! Turn in your glasses and your comixology subscription.

OT: I'm pretty stoked for the Defenders. Can anyone figure on how long until it airs? I'm guessing at least like nine months or a year or so...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Interesting, but except for Dare Devil and maybe Luke Cage, I really haven't heard of any of these guys (and girl).

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Farther than stars said:
"Left4Dead: In The Himalaya's"; now that sounds like an interesting game. I suppose you could use the regional culture to legitimize the use of Kung Fu in combat. And let's be honest here: who doesn't like the idea of using martial arts against zombies?
Kendo aside
(or other martial arts that relies on long reach weapons)

I don't think most martial arts will be any good against zombies
Since most of widespread ones are either sports, hand to hand, or close contact (knives and daggers) martial arts
And when it comes to zombies you really want to keep your distance

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
So, perhaps Bob should do an episode on the more absurd things that DC has promoted or said in recent events, clarifying things, such as whatever the Harley Quinn thing was that I still don't quite understand. Or Bob could talk about his impressions on DC's super-hyped Superman: Unchained series. Even so, Bob could just do whatever he pleases (as I know will happen) and we'll all watch anyways.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I was kind of hoping they were going to do a "White Tiger" mini-series.

I think the current, female, version would be pretty cool.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
FightingFurball said:
next week on Big pictures:
'Marvel comics achieves World Peace'

MovieBob:
'Dammit Marvel'
XD That would really piss off the folks at DC Comics!

Joking aside, this is a daring venture for Marvel/Disney. It allows them to test the waters on a rising media outlet while expanding on other corners of the Marvel Universe without having to make multiple movies. Plus, if Agents of SHIELD fails to stay afloat on ABC, perhaps it can find a second season on Netflix but we shall see.

If this proves fruitful, I wouldn't mind seeing other low level heroes pop up like Misty Knight, her partner Colleen Wing, White Tiger, Punisher (maybe give Thomas Jane that second chance he's wanted), She-Hulk, and so on. Hell, I would be blown away if they did Squirrel Girl and the Great Lake Avengers.

OK, those last two are a bit of a long shot but one can dream.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Falterfire said:
I think the only place I've seen Iron Fist is in the Ultimate Spiderman TV Show I was watching in a fit of boredom a few weeks back. Is that still running? I actually enjoyed it, for all that it wasn't exactly very serious.
Season 2 just finished, season 3 is confirmed.

I like Ultimate Spider-Man, but I can't help but resent it a little as it's what follows up the superior Spectacular Spider-Man.

Iron Fist also appeared in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, though not the same version. Kind of a given, as most of the Ultimate Spider-Man crew weren't teenagers in the original media.

And on that note, I like the fact that Bob points out both Luke Cage and Iron fist were part of Marvel's attempts to cash in on various trends (blacksploitation and Kung Fu/Asian mysticism respectively).

Andrew Siribohdi said:
I think Bob's last statement is a backhanded insult on DC. As in, Marvel does something interesting each week while DC doesn't.
I took it as more of a fanboy-ish (and not in an insulting fashion) "let me get to other things." Because that's all it seems to be. there's a lot of stuff he's not covering when Marvel does this stuff.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
I need someone to explain how Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver can be part of the next Avengers movie when they are tied to the X-Men license.
Because evidently Marvel had some limited amount of foresight and made sure these characters were bundled with The Avengers rather than the X-Men franchise. I mean, the only catch is they can't be called mutants or be labeled Magneto's kids, but since everyone who cares already knows who they are, I'm sure they'll just be like "fill in the blanks, dude!"

MatsVS said:
Yeah, this bubble has GOT to burst soon.
Yeah, they've been saying that for a decade now. Here's hoping it never does. If they scrape low enough, I might get a New Warriors series out of it.

...don't judge me....
Darth_Payn said:
DC wants to launch a lot of new shows, and Bob will talk about them once there's more news to hear about them. So far, I heard they want to make shows starring Commissioner Gordon, John Constantine, and now The Flash.
The Gordon one's greenlit. As for the other two, I'd love it if they could avoid fucking up.

the problem is, they have this huge trouble handling anything that's not Batman with the occasional exception of Superman. I'm pretty surprised at Arrow right now, because I figured they'd find a way to fuck it up in the first...Six minutes.

...Okay, let me make an exception: DCAU is some awesome stuff. Granted, a good chunk of that was Batman and Superman, but still. I have a feeling that if I didn't mention it, someone would call me on it.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
The Gordon one's greenlit. As for the other two, I'd love it if they could avoid fucking up.

the problem is, they have this huge trouble handling anything that's not Batman with the occasional exception of Superman. I'm pretty surprised at Arrow right now, because I figured they'd find a way to fuck it up in the first...Six minutes.

...Okay, let me make an exception: DCAU is some awesome stuff. Granted, a good chunk of that was Batman and Superman, but still. I have a feeling that if I didn't mention it, someone would call me on it.
I think they can keep Arrow going because it's easy enough to run it similar to Batman, dark and mostly realistic in physics and his capabilities. It's whenever they do magic or meta-human (Green Lantern and Superman) that they start muddying it up because they only know how to do gritty realism. They don't understand that if you play it straight (like Thor and the Hulk), the audience will understand it's a movie and not care as much.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm actually really interested to see what they do. So far, Marvel has been producing so much content and most of it has been good. And Bob's educated guess sounds very plausible. Which makes these even more interesting.

And, while I know it was a bit of a parody, the Foot seems to be a much better name than the Hand. I could be a bit biased due to my long time love of the Turtles.

Hey, Bob. Has DC done anything worth noticing? The only thing I remember caring about recently was Young Justice. And that got canceled.

Falterfire said:
I think the only place I've seen Iron Fist is in the Ultimate Spiderman TV Show I was watching in a fit of boredom a few weeks back. Is that still running? I actually enjoyed it, for all that it wasn't exactly very serious.
Both Iron Fist and Luke Cage are major characters in that show. And actually some of my favorite characters on that show.

Haven't watched it in a long time, though it's still ongoing. Though, I did catch one with Dead Pool in it. Just because I had to see that.

Spoiler Alert: Dead Pool keeps taking over Spidey's fourth wall breaking moments.
2xDouble said:
Primus1985 said:
Also if they do decided on the name "Defenders" one person they must have is: Doctor Strange.
I was thinking that during Bob's whole piece on The Defenders. I don't know much about comic teams and their continuities, but I've come to understand The Defenders is pretty much Doctor Strange playing Zordon to whatever "lesser" heroes who happen to be available/relevant at the time. Sold.

Come to think of it... isn't that also Silver Surfer's only "official" team? (ignoring the frequent associations with the Fantastic Four). Could it be that Disney finally flexed some muscle and quietly acquired the rights to Marvel characters owned by other studios? Does Disney have the balls (and foresight) to tease an F4/Avengers cross (and if so, who would play Human Torch?)? Does one dare to dream of finally letting Spider-man use his most amazing power: his ability to network? (having presence in and direct interaction with pretty much every other Marvel continuity... seriously, you can link pretty much any two Marvel characters almost directly through Spider-man, it's like Marvel Kevin Bacon.)

...no, probably not. But it is a beautiful dream.
I admit every time there's a new Marvel movie made by another studio, I wish they would either let the rights pass or the movie would bomb. Just so those characters could return home to perhaps show up in a Avengers movie. Who doesn't want Wolverine to fight alongside Captain America? Perhaps against Magneto? And mayhap Spiderman could save the day with some sort of gadget?

I know it's a dream. But damn it. It's MY dream.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Just a point of interest, all these characters are also currently featured in Marvel Heroes, to help enforce their presence in the Marvel universe. DD and Luke are playable, with Iron Fist and Jessica being NPC summons for Luke.

I have hopes for most of these, though I've never read any of Alias, so my only knowledge of Jessica Jones was that she is Luke's baby mama.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Can we start shortening "Ben Affleck" to "Baffleck"? I'm not trying to "say something" here, in fact, I don't really have that strong an opinion, nor can I admit to actually knowing much about the man, but, well, I just strongly feel this is something we should start doing.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
AJey said:
I'm most likely in the minority here, but I'm sick of comic book heroes.
Well, it's kind of a self-selected group. Why are you watching a Big Picture episode explicitly about comic book heroes if you're sick of them? But of course most people don't bother with these shows, so overall you're probably not any sort of minority. And that's fine. Shows don't need majorities. Dedicated minorities are quite sufficient.[/quote]

I'm watching the show for the information. See, I'm not an American and I did not get comic book exposure at all. I saw some cartoons of Spider-Man and X-Men in childhood and that is it. So in my adult life I started reading up more on comic books and Big Picture tends to take interesting comic book themes and break them down for my layman mind. I appreciate it for that.

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
AJey said:
They poorly adapt to modern era
Actually I think they match up well to the modern era. 30 years ago Bond was a superhero in all but name, now we want our serious action movies to reflect reality and our fantastical action movies to be outright fantasy. This isn't to say that there is not a market for a rehash of 80's action movies, but the expendables is largely marketed to an older audience.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
AJey said:
I'm most likely in the minority here, but I'm sick of comic book heroes. They poorly adapt to modern era, their powers are often ridiculous and acquired in the most cartoon-y ways, they are rarely interesting as characters, they are often inconsistent and incoherent, they are basic in design and are too malleable in the hands of writers, they are often situational with their powers, they almost always carry a tone of useless baggage from their comic book "heritage", they dont end, they just get "re-imagined", they often get written into absurd story lines that dont even belong in 21st century (I mean purple-man, really?!), and the list goes on. Again, I'm most likely in the minority here, tiny minority, and I hope fans wont try to kill me, but that is how I feel about the comic book movie craze.
Actually, this is what I'm most worried about with Marvel's future. IN a lot of ways people only see Superheroes, despite arguably their franchises can be seen as different, even in the same universe. But the arc is simple, it remains the same, and we are largely addicted to the same type of story. The same thing happened to the Western, we get a lot of them, they get resurgences from time to time, but ultimately due to viewer fatigue they go away.

When Marvel was acquired by Disney it was due to the feasibility of its properties. What happens when superhero fatigue sets in?

This is why Agents of Shield needs to switch gears from Superhero to X-Files meets Mission: Impossible.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Tanis said:
I was kind of hoping they were going to do a "White Tiger" mini-series.

I think the current, female, version would be pretty cool.
...who was introduced int he pages of Daredevil!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
bigfatcarp93 said:
Souplex said:

HEY! We don't mention those shitty Ultimates comics here! That's a three week suspension from nerdhood! Turn in your glasses and your comixology subscription.

OT: I'm pretty stoked for the Defenders. Can anyone figure on how long until it airs? I'm guessing at least like nine months or a year or so...
To be fair, until Jeph Loeb ruined everything, the Ultimate Universe was far better than the regular Marvel Universe.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Souplex said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
Souplex said:

To be fair, until Jeph Loeb ruined everything, the Ultimate Universe was far better than the regular Marvel Universe.
Not sure I'd agree with "far better", though I of course concede that USM, UXM, and UFF were all great (Thank you Bendis, by and large.)