The Big Picture: Boy's Own Adventure

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
WaitWHAT said:
TrulyBritish said:
But that's just my take, and seeing as I live in a rather nice part of Britain, no one I know really makes a fuss over homosexuals anyway.
Oooh? Which part? Maybe I can *cough* "make you an offer".
I study in Newcastle, although I originate from Hull. Whereabouts are you?
Plus I think you misunderstand me, as I said I have a *cough* "friend"... that's who'll have to accept the offer ;)

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
tmande2nd said:
Man my dad watches Fox news.

I watch it to make myself laugh.
Seriously.

GO and watch it, it is funnier than Colbert or Stewart, without even trying to be.

I love hearing them RAGE about NEW THINGS.
"X, X IS DESTROYING 'MERICA!"
There is a reason some people call it Faux News :)

But I hope Shezow *does* show that there are changes coming.

I mean look at how much got changed in the Sailor Moon anime to make it "proper" for US audiences when it first aired: Zoisite, a male, got changed into the female "Zoycite" to hide the fact that in the anime Zoisite and Kunzite were a homosexual couple; Uranus and Neptune got changed from lesbian lovers to cousins; and the entire Sailor Stars season with its transgender Starlights never got shown on US TV in the 1990s.

Of course cross dressing has been a joke for a looong time--one only needs to look at the Bugs Bunny cartoons of the 1930s and40s to see that. Pokemon has been playing that joke with James dressing up as woman many times.

So I am kind of puzzled as to why it is a big issue *this* time. Like MovieBob said it not like Guy Hamdon is a Starlight (ie actually changes sex) so why are the conservatives going Chicken Little over something that has been shown to children since the 1930s ie *80 years*?

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
Ignoring all posts, I was wondering when Bob would get round to this, Its not a bad show but personally the puns are a bit too much for me.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
So yeah, drop in a bucket for LGBT BUT......

You know what it is a potential fountain of. An interesting take on how we view one gender as inferior to another ie. Feminism.

Boy has to wear girl clothing, literally stepping into her shoes and not only is he unhappy with it but he gets mocked by his male friend.
Women do get treated differently and this show could have some nascent lessons to teach young minds.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Aardvaarkman said:
omicron1 said:
Conservaphobic attacks of opportunity.
I mean, it's not like Bob's the only staff member who regularly attacks my worldview and beliefs, but he has a role which allows a certain amount of neutrality - should he choose to accept it. He does not. This rankles.
What makes you think conservatives are anywhere near half of Bob's audience? And why should his role be neutral? He's a critic and commentator - he's not a judge. he has no duty to be neutral.

In any case, it was hardly even an attack on conservatism. It was an attack on idiocy. Or do you think Fox News somehow accurately represents conservatives as a group? I don't quite understand what the worldview that's being attacked is - people who think that boys should never dress in "female" clothing? I think you'll find plenty of conservatives who cross-dress.

Instead of just reacting, why don;t you explain to us what the problem is with the cartoon, and why it goes against your beliefs?
I said 'prospective' audience. EG if Bob (and this site in general) weren't so blatantly liberal, they would be able to interact with the population of conservative gamers you seem to think is a minority. Absolutely, it's a minority on this site... Because this site is liberal, and hostile to conservative views.

As for 'idiocy'... The idea that Fox News is somehow a less legitimate news source because of its worldview? When (according to an independent study recently) CNN is equally biased and MSNBC is three times worse? Is exactly the problem. In a nutshell, it's an attitude of "My beliefs are right, and your beliefs are stupid, so shut up and let the smart people run things." My point is this: people who think gender is immutable and binary have just as legitimate a view as people who think it's a loose spectrum, and deserve equal respect. And I say this as a transwoman.

Now, as for the show itself, I have no problem with it - except that the hero can't be bothered to pitch his voice up and comes off like a stereotype.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I'm surprised that as a Film Student, Bob didn't reference the entire genre of movies that already exist based around this trope (man disguising self as woman for X-Reason), some of which are considered classics like Some Like it Hot. The only difference is in those movies the comedic point is that the men are disguising themselves as women, whereas in this the comedic point is how silly 'girl superheroes' are by concept (why would you divide superheroes by gender?)

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
WaitWHAT said:
TrulyBritish said:
I study in Newcastle, although I originate from Hull. Whereabouts are you?
Plus I think you misunderstand me, as I said I have a *cough* "friend"... that's who'll have to accept the offer ;)
East Anglia, but I'm going Ooop Nort', like next year. And I made the offer because he's your *cough* "friend". Not just a "friend". You don't get to dodge it that easily.... >:D
Whereabouts you headed? Although I think I do have a couple of friends studying in the Anglia area...
And please pay no attention to the *cough* behind the curtain...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
omicron1 said:
Aardvaarkman said:
omicron1 said:
shit goes here
Except Conservative views are themselves by and large, harmful and phobic. Asking "liberals" to play nice with the people spewing hate speech is rediculous. And i'm a none of your business.

The Escapist isn't a "liberal slant" media outlet, it's a Media outlet lacking in the traditional Conservative bias blasted across TV by Rupert Murdoch. Most of the internet would qualify as a "liberal slanted outlet" by this bias.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
WaitWHAT said:
TrulyBritish said:
Whereabouts you headed? Although I think I do have a couple of friends studying in the Anglia area...
And please pay no attention to the *cough* behind the curtain...
Durham. And is it the kind of "Bend over and cough" cough?
Oh, so not too far then. I always wanted to study at Durham actually, good place for history.
And I'm going to cut short any jokes about "bending over" in a conversation starting with issues of bisexuality here :p

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
CrazyGirl17 said:
Geeze, and my folks wonder why I don't like reality... humanity better pray I never get superpowers.
THIS! I would totally be a world dominating super villain.

But take heart. The world will be a better place. Even if it is under my boot.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
SupahGamuh said:
Oh shit, this takes me back to the days when Ranma 1/2 was being aired in public TV (we had no fancy cable back then), I thought the show was hilarious, but having a mom that's even afraid of her own shadow wasn't easy, but I still managed to watch many animes back then, heck, we got the uncensored versions of many animes (that's why it always pisses me off to watch the US version of Dragon Ball Z).
Try Dragonball Z Kai (because the original Japanese track is a crime against humanity, it is the 4kids dub of original language tracks). Edited out the filler and re-inserted the violence and good stuff.
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
I have one question...and it's a very serious one.

When can we finally sue/criminally charge Fox News and/or any of these other overly conservative groups for what basically amounts to harassment of the GLBTQ community and those that support them?

Seriously...this crap is getting out of hand and a line needs to be drawn.
Nope, because Rupert Murdoch is an evil genius. By telling a court in the early 2000s that Fox News is "entertainment" and not "news", they can say whatever they want and claim it was satire when challenged. It's a disgusting legal loophole.
Actually Fox withdrew from Fox News Network, LLC, v. Penguin Group (USA), Inc., and Alan S. Franken (2003 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 18693; 31 Media L. Rep. 2254) regarding the whole "Fair & Balanced" after Judge Denny Chin threw out their request for an injunction and warned Fox that the very phrase "Fair & Balanced" itself could be invalid.

I can't find any court case claiming Fox News was "entertainment" and not "news" in fact all I could find was only some really off the wall stuff by Free Wood Press and a reference to the February 14, 2003 Florida Second District Court of Appeals case involving Akre and Wilson where it was ruled that the FCC's news distortion policy is not a "law, rule, or regulation" under section 448.102 of the Florida Statutes and so they were not allowed whistleblower protection.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
maximara said:
?The decision to classify Fox News as satire has come after several years of evaluation regarding the sources of their reporting, and the bias of their programming. While much of their content is based on legitimate news, it is spun is a way that cannot not be deemed newsworthy to the viewing public. If Fox News so chooses to report actual news stories of legitimacy without skewing the content we may overturn our decision and reclassify the network to a valid news source once again.? (FCC 2012)
Well the FCC is clearly a liberal ran organization! They didn't get the memo that having all male panels discussing women's reproductive rights (how they shouldn't have them) and how evil it is that women are gaining economic ground on men qualifies as unbiased, fair and balanced news!

I can't get over what great lengths conservatives will go to to defend Fox News. I was arguing with one once about this audio clip Fox had edited. Took me several posts just to get the guy to listen to the original clip unaltered. Then I asked him if that pissed him off that his news source BLATANTLY lied to him. And his defense was that it was ok. They're conservatives so it's all ok.

So, as long as you label yourself a conservative, you have millions of people in this country who will defend everything you say and do.

Which is why I'm running for the republican candidacy for president! My platform is that we must blow up the moon or... gay, transsexual, minority, atheist, Muslim, Hitler will come and socialize our medicine!

I'll have thousands marching in the streets with pictures of the moon slashed out in red chanting "Hey ho the moon must go!"

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Magog1 said:
Le_Lisra said:
What would these morons think if they watched/read Ranma 1/2? :D

Personally, I don't care. Sounds like a fun thing if I'd still be 12 years old.

What astounds me however is how bad the animation looks. Looks like 2 dudes did it at home with flash oÔ
I watched ranma 1/2 and i'd tell you it's literally the tom and jerry of anime where after the first 20 or so episodes literally no one developes as a character and the whole plot is one great big giant hamster wheel.

And I loved the show LOL and I'm telling you this.
Well you are not one of those morons I meant. I assume. ;)

The anime does rather stagnate, it's true... but since the manga goes a bit batty towards the end, maybe that was all well and good.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
omicron1 said:
Aardvaarkman said:
omicron1 said:
shit goes here
Except Conservative views are themselves by and large, harmful and phobic. Asking "liberals" to play nice with the people spewing hate speech is rediculous. And i'm a none of your business.

The Escapist isn't a "liberal slant" media outlet, it's a Media outlet lacking in the traditional Conservative bias blasted across TV by Rupert Murdoch. Most of the internet would qualify as a "liberal slanted outlet" by this bias.
N.O.
I'm sorry; I will not get into a debate with closed-minded individuals who consider me inferior for my beliefs. Either you speak on an even, respectful basis, or don't speak at all.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
omicron1 said:
TsunamiWombat said:
omicron1 said:
Aardvaarkman said:
omicron1 said:
shit goes here

N.O.
I'm sorry; I will not get into a debate with closed-minded individuals who consider me inferior for my beliefs. Either you speak on an even, respectful basis, or don't speak at all.
Oh this is where we get into this huge thing where the forum posters bombard you with many many examples of Fox News and conservatism as a whole being all about straight, white, christian, and preferably rich, men while throwing all others under the bus. Well, throw is such a strong word. More like shove. We might need their votes some day. And you defend them because they're conservatives and everything they do and say is right and thinking otherwise is blatantly Un-American. And then, when that fails, resort to personal attacks.

Hold on. Let me get some popcorn.