The Big Picture: Boy's Own Adventure

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
WaitWHAT said:
jaymiechan said:
Bob kinda glossed over the fact that LGBT issues, especially these days, tends to leave the B and T behind, as well as the concerns for LGBT youth, focusing purely on assimilation theory and gay marriage.
I hate to be....*that guy* advancing the flamewar, but would Bi groups need special attention? If they have a partner of the opposite gender, that's already socially accepted. It would only be if they tried to have a same-sex partner that they'd face any kind of discrimination, and that's what the 'L' and 'G' sections of the 'LGBT' movement are focusing on.

Having said that, Trans groups are pretty darn under-represented and could use a little more positive exposure [footnote]No, not like that you sick bastards....[/footnote].
The issue with being Bi is that you get discriminated against by straights and gays. Straight people assume you are hyper sexual and that you will betray them for the other sex at any moment, and gays claim that you don't actually exist and are just closeted gays.
There are many other issues, but those are the ones that I see the most often.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
So this show is essentially the western child friendly cartoon equivalent of "Is this a Zombie" just without the whole supernatural part and people *cough* Fox News *cough* freaked out not to mention the whole cheerios thing in the same week. Damn it this is why we in America can't have nice things.

*edit*
As it turns out for once Fox News isn't affiliated with this at all I just had a knee jerk reaction so sorry for any misinformation I may have been helping spread.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I'm sorry, maybe someone else can point it out to me, but I'm not seeing this "massive group of people" who are furious about this show the way Bob talks about it. I googled the show, and this is literally the only article critical of it that I could find, and it's not even that incendiary:
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/05/28/Children-network-transsexual-superhero

I know lots of people saw this or Bob's video and immediately launched into the knee jerk "Faux News is so dumb LOLZ!" but it seems people are looking for something to be angry about that may not really be there.

Wyvern65

May 29, 2013
Fiairflair said:
I expect there is a very complicated historical answer to this question but... how can the United States be so tolerant in some places and so remarkably vile in others?
The answer is historical, though not really all that complicated.

To simplify: the US was founded by a lot of VERY religious people. People who thought Elizabethan England was too liberal. Think about that for a moment. (No, really, do.) People who put cloth skirts over chair legs because it reminded them of female limbs were /too liberal/ for the folks who helped found the US.

There's a story of a Puritan who had been at sea for 5 years returning home to Massachusetts Bay Colony and kissing his wife chastely in public. For which he was promptly clapped in the stocks for a week as punishment for an excessive display of unseemly desire.

Another major group that founded the US were capitalist adventurers of England (and elsewhere) looking to make a buck in the 'new world.'

Mix in a lot of enlightenment philosophy, the historical reality of slavery and the civil war that ultimately sprang from it. (And the attendant guilt and simmering race relations.) Season with a lot of Ayn Rand objectivism and mythology about being self-sufficient based on myths about a 'wild west' that never was.

Bake at 350 degrees with a lot of Calvinist self-hatred and the pure blind luck of having a vast /huge/ country's worth of untapped resources to help support the idea that we were God's Chosen, and you get the modern USA and it's wealth of contradictions.

Consume in small portions, or it will likely lead to indigestion. :)

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
chronobreak said:
It is an issue of mental illness and degeneracy, and my two children will never see this show. Our country has a serious problem with gender digression, and I'm tired of it. It's a problem that needs to be cured, not celebrated.

Yes, I know some people are afflicted with feeling like the opposite gender. We should treat these people just like we treat everyone else, but at the same time we need to think about where we want our country to be in 50 years time, if we still want standards, decency, and morality for our children's children, and those of us for whom it concerns are going to keep fighting back against what we think is sending us down a very dangerous path.
Man, I really don't see why this is an issue at all. People feel they're born with the wrong gender. So what? How does that affect you in any way? Why get upset?

TheLogicalGamer

Sep 7, 2011
Sadly... I do agree with Fox on certain issues. Mostly those involving money. However, at this moment, I am incapable of defending them. My thoughts can be summed up as: WHAT IN THE VOID WERE THOSE IDIOTS THINKING!?!

As usual, Fox is ignoring the fact that this country was built around a single concept: Tolerance. I mean originally it was tolerance of other Christian denominations, but still! Our entire constitution, which the lovely people at Fox love to "defend", was designed to ensure that the government was obliged to leave people alone as long as what they were doing didn't harm someone else!

For anyone here who agrees with Fox's perspective (all one of you), here is where I stand. I have yet to see proof of anything under LGBT's label as being harmful from my perspective. Therefore I have no right to interfere or attempt to change someone who is either a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgendered. Granted I am not of a religious nature, and as such I am approaching this topic without the influences that you most likely are. All I can ask of you is to respect the people on my side of the argument, if not as friends, at least as rivals for the hearts and minds of a country. Tolerate us, and allow our voices to be heard as well. It is only fair.

However, I must state that Tolerance is a two way street. So this bit is for the rest of us, and is my understanding of the other side's argument. They, or at least many of them, believe that homosexuality, bisexuality, and being transgendered is a one way ticket to the downbelow. They believe that once you are there, you have a eternity of pain, suffering, and assorted other punishments waiting for you. So what would you do if you believed the same things? You would probably try to stop those people and "save" them from that fate. From their perspective, they are logically in the right. From our perspective, they are logically in the wrong. Please, everyone reading this, at least tolerate their views.

Now... back on topic after that short rant... does Fox even have a research department?

I'm sorry but... how does this show back the so called "Gay Agenda" also known as "People are becoming tolerant about everything and it isn't weakening our morals whatsoever because they are highly subjective and individual to each person"? It is using the same gag that Loony Tunes used to use, that even the Lion King used (near the end, keep watching the pig in the hula skirt). A guy in women's clothing is funny to some people for some reason, and this show is playing off that. There is no harm here.

I mean I can be offended at the whole agenda to make people believe that "Gays are out to corrupt our children and our womenfolk!" thing Fox has been rocking for the last five or so years, but this is just poor journalism. I think that they did more research for that Mass Effect Sex thing a few years back. I know Fox hasn't been a real News channel for years, that they have only been commentators for a long time, but this is just... this is just sad. Couldn't they at least pay a teenager to do a five minute internet search for them? Would save us all some annoyance.

I'm out.

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
Mrkillhappy said:
So this show is essentially the western child friendly cartoon equivalent of "Is this a Zombie" just without the whole supernatural part and people *cough* Fox News *cough* freaked out not to mention the whole cheerios thing in the same week. Damn it this is why we in America can't have nice things.
Except Is This a Zombie had like two good jokes in the first eìsode and then was just super-sexist. I was also reminded of that anime. Look up Super Pig, it is a hilarious anime and probably a better comparison.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Oh, please please PLEASE let this be the next big hit!

I so want it to be the most popular costume at Halloween this year. Can you imagine it? Boys dressed up as a boy dressed up as a girl superhero! Girls dressed up as a boy dressed up as a girl superhero!

So many heads are going to explode, and oh so many awkward parents not looking each other in the eye on the trick or treat trail!

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
JudgeGame said:
Mrkillhappy said:
Except Is This a Zombie had like two good jokes in the first eìsode and then was just super-sexist. I was also reminded of that anime. Look up Super Pig, it is a hilarious anime and probably a better comparison.
Just to clear the air I was just using that as an example of a show where the male protagonist gains powers from dressing like a girl. Also thanks for the recommendation on Super Pig I watched a bit and it seems to fit that set of quirky/weird that I enjoy.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
jaymiechan said:
Bob kinda glossed over the fact that LGBT issues, especially these days, tends to leave the B and T behind, as well as the concerns for LGBT youth, focusing purely on assimilation theory and gay marriage.
I'm curious how you came to this conclusion that bisexual and transgender parts of the community are getting left behind. They are fighting the same struggles as gay couples for things like marriage equality. If anything it's only that transgender individuals have more to fight for, because they have it harder than probably any group on Earth, likely being the least accepted people alive.

And don't take this as combative, I'm honestly curious. I'm an activist for LGBT rights, and in college wrote all my English and Philosphy papers on the subjects, along with feminism.

TheLogicalGamer said:
As usual, Fox is ignoring the fact that this country was built around a single concept: Tolerance. I mean originally it was tolerance of other Christian denominations, but still! Our entire constitution, which the lovely people at Fox love to "defend", was designed to ensure that the government was obliged to leave people alone as long as what they were doing didn't harm someone else!
Let's be honest with ourselves, the US was not built on tolerance, it was built on the illusion of tolerance. The puritans came to this country because they were being oppressed, and instantly went to oppressing the native Americans. And then the blacks. And then the Mexicans. The same country where it was illegal for a white person to marry anyone that wasn't white until 1967. That's right, 102 years after the end of slavery, blacks were finally allowed to marry whites.

The US has never been about tolerance, as much as that pains me. So I will fight for LGBT rights, but the pessimist in me doesn't expect real change until after I'm long dead.

Wyvern65

May 29, 2013
Jennacide said:
The US has never been about tolerance, as much as that pains me. So I will fight for LGBT rights, but the pessimist in me doesn't expect real change until after I'm long dead.
I'd just like to echo what you said, and also remind folks that it wasn't until 2003 that it became illegal in the US as a whole for people to be arrested and jailed solely because they were gay. [Though to be fair there were only 13 out of 50 states that still had and anti-sodomy laws on the books.]

That was all of ten years ago :p

And that it is still perfectly legal in many states to deny someone a job or housing or public accommodation just because they're gay. In most states it's illegal for gay people to marry. And . . .meh I'll stop. It just depresses me.

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
Mrkillhappy said:
JudgeGame said:
Mrkillhappy said:
Just to clear the air I was just using that as an example of a show where the male protagonist gains powers from dressing like a girl. Also thanks for the recommendation on Super Pig I watched a bit and it seems to fit that set of quirky/weird that I enjoy.
Recommending good anime is it's own reward. Sorry if I sounded a little blunt but Is This a Zombie is one of those terrible things that haunt children's dreams.

TheLogicalGamer

Sep 7, 2011
Jennacide said:
Snip Part Here

TheLogicalGamer said:
Let's be honest with ourselves, the US was not built on tolerance, it was built on the illusion of tolerance. The puritans came to this country because they were being oppressed, and instantly went to oppressing the native Americans. And then the blacks. And then the Mexicans. The same country where it was illegal for a white person to marry anyone that wasn't white until 1967. That's right, 102 years after the end of slavery, blacks were finally allowed to marry whites.

I take a slightly different view of US History. I see it less as just a long series of hypocrisy against our supposed principles, and more as a long series of attempts to actually follow those principles despite conflicting beliefs.

Yes, the United States does tend towards hypocrisy when it comes to our central principle. Yes, our history is one long string of oppressing races, religions, women in general, and non-heterosexuality. But you missed one thing, we still TRY to do better once we realize that we have been wrong.

You are right. We have never been a Tolerant Nation, but we have never stopped TRYING to become one. Even if the changes have been slow, even if we haven't ever quite lived up to our potential, we still haven't stopped TRYING to become a nation of Tolerance.

For example, Black People. Most of their ancestors were slaves, back when we were still a slave holding society. That was wrong, I can't even pretend that wasn't wrong. I can't make excuses for the actions of my ancestors, and their logic was of the Insane Troll variety.
But more recent ancestors saw that they, and my earlier ancestors, were wrong. Slavery was ended. Then we started legally and culturally dehumanizing and discriminating against Blacks, and made them into second-class citizens. That was wrong, just as much as slavery was. But it wasn't entirely a legal thing, it was also cultural.
But later ancestors saw that they weren't in the right, and the laws that discriminated against Blacks were repealed, and new laws punishing discriminating based on race were put on the books. Many people started defending blacks against those who still discriminated against them, and eventually the cultural elements were extinguished as well.
It took centuries, yes, but in the end we did become tolerant of blacks, and in most of the country we have become downright accepting of them. There are still some pockets of racism, of discrimination, but they are few and far between. Give things another generation or two, and racism will just be a word in textbooks.

Lets take a more recent example, that still isn't quite finished, LGBT Sexuality. Used to be that it was a crime, that you would be put in the nuthouse, prison, or even stoned to death if you were outed as a lesbian, gay, or bisexual.
So how is that problem being dealt with? Same way the cultural opression of blacks was dealt with. Activism to change existing laws, and make Gay Marriage legal. As for the cultural opression of the LGBT community, well look at my general reactions. I'm straight, and I still rise to their defense because I believe in the concept of Tolerance (and science as well). Other people do the same thing I do, and slowly we are making it less viable to go after people who are gay.

So to sum this up, you are right. We are not a Tolerant nation, and we never have been, but that doesn't mean we can't BECOME one. I'm an Idealist still, I see the progress we have made, and the way we have left to go. I can't see a single group that we are still intolerant of that we aren't making an effort to BECOME tolerant of.. except maybe Mexicans but that is a whole other can of worms that I don't want to open. You may be right, that real change won't come in your lifetime. But this isn't exactly a losing battle from where I stand, and its a battle worth fighting.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
omicron1 said:
Aardvaarkman said:
omicron1 said:
Hey, Bob? Would it be possible for you not to alienate, insult, denigrate, and mock half your prospective audience - including me, who you are ostensibly defending, in your videos?
What exactly are you referring to?
Conservaphobic attacks of opportunity.
I mean, it's not like Bob's the only staff member who regularly attacks my worldview and beliefs, but he has a role which allows a certain amount of neutrality - should he choose to accept it. He does not. This rankles.
I still think half is a bit of an exaggeration, it would count on half the website being from the U.S, and half of the people from the U.S visiting this site being Republicans. And 'all' the republicans on this site watching Movie Bob.

Considering from usual polls that around half/bit more than half of this site is from the U.S (Not nearly all) and from the RnP forum that the Republicans here are in vast minority of the Americans who, at least post here, I don't really think it counts for much of an audience. Then again' alienating anyone is technically bad, but it's not his job to be neutral and he does kind of do this a 'lot' so I'm amazed you haven't brought this up before.

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
Jennacide said:
jaymiechan said:
I'm curious how you came to this conclusion that bisexual and transgender parts of the community are getting left behind. They are fighting the same struggles as gay couples for things like marriage equality. If anything it's only that transgender individuals have more to fight for, because they have it harder than probably any group on Earth, likely being the least accepted people alive.

And don't take this as combative, I'm honestly curious. I'm an activist for LGBT rights, and in college wrote all my English and Philosphy papers on the subjects, along with feminism.
From the people I know, it's definitely true that bisexuals, transexuals and other groups that don't fit neatly into a box get marginalized even by fellow queer folk.

I do hear a lot of complaints from the so called Radical Feminists. While Radical Feminists are often maligned as depraved animals intent on sending all men to concentration camps, they mostly just pretend men don't even exist and instead focus all their efforts in making sure nobody dares to question their incredibly fixed world views. This results in them declaring transexuals spies of the enemy and bisexuals traitors to the cause. I want to clarify that I don't pretend to point out a group of people, just a trend of people who discuss gender and sexuality and immerse themselves in academia to the point of absurdity.

Renowned game designer and queer icon Anna Anthropy has a few things to say about such people and their views. In my own experience I have to say that I do encounter quite a lot more transphobic material than any other kind of queer phobia; videogames are especially guilty of this and Japan moreso. In conversation I find ignorance toward transexuality and bisexuality aswell as their specific issues is very common even among the queer and feminist communities.

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
omicron1 said:
Hey, Bob? Would it be possible for you not to alienate, insult, denigrate, and mock half your prospective audience - including me, who you are ostensibly defending, in your videos?

On to the subject at hand: The meta problem, I believe, is not the presence of this show. The problem is that in a matter of a few years, most or all shows will feature or include similar social ideas, and all kids will grow up inundated in this particular brand of culture.

Which, if you'll recall '50s Americana culture - Bible values in everything - this is pretty much precisely the same idea, just that this time you agree with it. Both are equally wrong, because both are equally suffocating to the many, many people who disagree.

A general rule of thumb is, any sociopolitical issue, if you want to know if it's fair, reverse the sides and see if it still seems fair.
I rewatched the whole episode and I don't understand where he is insulting anybody. I literally have no idea what you are talking about. You should use your sentences to convey information instead of regurgitating random political jargon in an attempt to create the illusion that you actually have something you want to say.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Ahahahahahah, that's cute compared to what my country is subjugated to:

But seriously, he's a good singer though.
And most our pop-folk(chalga) stars are divas that like very much to be suggestively erotic, it's in their songs as well. But then again, many people here don't like chalga, but everyone gets up and dances when drunk with rakia(a local brandy with fruit essence).

Vidar T

Jun 5, 2013
I must say it did sounds like a good premise for a show. I hope it catches on. But as several people have pointed out in this thread already this concept is nothing compared to Ranma 1/2. That show is way worse when it comes to pointing out the boundaries of gender and sex. Is Ranma's feonsey a bi-sexual? He does turn into a girl even though ranma identifies for the most part with his male gender. I do not remember if he ever identefies with being a girl? I know he sometimes portraits himself as a girl because it hives him free candy. Is Kuno who is in love both with Ranma's girl half and Akani bi as well? Sexual orientation tends to become tangent in that series. But you do not notise it in between all the other confusion that Ranma 1/2 is very good at delivering.

I suppose the backlash on the TV series is good. More PR for the people that could be interested in watching these things.

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
John Funk said:
chronobreak said:
It is an issue of mental illness and degeneracy, and my two children will never see this show. Our country has a serious problem with gender digression, and I'm tired of it. It's a problem that needs to be cured, not celebrated.

Yes, I know some people are afflicted with feeling like the opposite gender. We should treat these people just like we treat everyone else, but at the same time we need to think about where we want our country to be in 50 years time, if we still want standards, decency, and morality for our children's children, and those of us for whom it concerns are going to keep fighting back against what we think is sending us down a very dangerous path.
You're really not going to be happy in a half century. The rest of us are going to remember MLK's words that the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.
I for one plan to enjoy this show, and see no problem with it, but I would like to raise a point of disagreement:
Yes, it bends towards justice, but I would not be so certain that justice takes the form you imagine. I will still repeat and assert the next generation will bring a surprise or three for those who still take up the mantle of the sexual revolution, especially against the population of churchgoers who actually believe God preserved His word (of whom I'm sure includes MLK). I see the future bringing fewer out-of-wedlock births and fewer dead beat dads for example, especially here in the U S of A, where those are unusually high.