The Big Picture: Combat Evolved?

Doth

Apr 2, 2009
I don't get it.

Why is a multicultural/multi-ethnic/whatever inherently better than a homogenous faction?
Does one thing have anything to do with the other?

I do agree that the transformation into blue eyes is a bit strange, but I think it was more of a reference rather than a real statement.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
okay, I give up. Next time I see a thread or video about Halo, I'm gonna fight the urge to click it. I'm done. I....it's just too much. Okay, not everyone likes Halo, and in fact some people even, for some reason, seem to hate it. I accept that, but Halo promotes fascism? I don't mean to be rude, but what the fuck are you smoking? I'll give the series another go next week, but dammit Bob, you seem to be working really hard to get me to not want to watch your stuff.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
The_ModeRazor said:
Ok, my view:
You control Master Chief, whose face is never revealed.
You are helped by an outfit of Covenant warriors, led by the Arbiter. (I think? in 3?)
There's some rather important black guy in there, who's apparently kind of a memetic badass. Look up some quotes from him. (I only played Halo: Combat Evolved and the second game, and that was a long time ago :D)
Your other friend is a fucking AI.
The guys leading the Covenant are acitvely attempting to blow up the entire fucking universe.
Ninja killer ultimate space zombies of doom are involved.

... I don't get the part about racism?
Well clearly it's wrong to stop people trying to blow up the universe, your disrespecting their religion you RACIIST!

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Okysho said:
Woah hey! What's with the personal attacks! I'm just saying they didn't have to be blue!
I never attacked you, I just said that there's a fatal flaw in your logic; the only person who's actually saw this 'issue' is Bob, and that's after a lot of digging. The dev team had no reason to check if they're racist, and the blue-eyes thing is just a really minute, innocent detail that no-one would have cared about if Bob hadn't pointed and complained at it.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
I think he missed the point about the Covenant, it's about religious zealotry, hence the name Covenant. Yes it is made up of a diverse collection of races, but they are bound to the belief that the Forerunner were gods and that by activating the rings they can follow them on "the great journey". Any who speak against this belief are labeled heretics and killed. So really the games could be looked at as a battle between church and state.

But really the big picture is that the Halo games are fun and that's all that people really care about. Maybe that's just me.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
AWESOME! We're getting a lot of good new shows! First Extra Credits and now this? sweet! There'll be some nice topics here i'm sure.
OT: I've never noticed that, but I wouldn't exactly call Halo symbolistic of racism or anything of that nature. I just think it's lost it's touch. The first one was great, but 2 and 3 were too safe. However, you did make an interesting and well thought out point.
Great show!

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
You know, anyone else find it odd that the ad for this episode shows Master Chief standing next to an allied alien? I mean, that pretty much renders everything Movie Bob said about racial superiority null and void. Though he conveniently avoided this by not even mentioning the rebellion in his video. So I have to wonder why he would represent this episode with a picture that invalidates everything he said.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Didn't Duke Nukem slaughter a wide variety of different alien species? And he was blonde!

Shit! It all comes together now!

mik1

Dec 7, 2009
I didn't like it.

Granted I'm a halo fan but that was just nagging on something that I didn't find very interesting I didn't realize it and it was kind of interesting for 5 seconds then he went on about it forever.

Also, in halo 3 the elites team up with the humans.

This should have been called racial diversity in video games and mentioned halo but that would have been an extra credits episode.

Daden

Jun 17, 2010
I always enjoy Moviebob's videos because he bothers to analyze things beyond the surface level, which some people find no value in, sadly. Whether one agrees with him or not, his points are at least thought-provoking, and the inevitable fanboy rage will no doubt spike page hits for The Escapist.

Looking forward to the next Big Picture! :)

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
GrinningManiac said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
This is quite interesting..this is looking much better than escape to the movies.
There was something wrong with E.t.t.M?

I really liked it. What didn't you like about it? (geniunely interseted)
I'm not saying it's completely bad. Just this one is holding my interest more than Escape to the Movies.

ClockWork

Mar 18, 2009
At the risk of sounding ignorant, who were the faces of? Were they actual people or just representations of various emotions and archetypes?

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
Great work on reflection! Things mentioned in the video could have made the Halo universe much more interesting from a story perspective. You certainly came up with something which i hadn't noticed.

This goes alot along the lines of the Game Overthinker series, only with a much more broader choice of subjects. It will be interesting to see what you'll come up with!