The Big Picture: Combat Evolved?

DurangoDallas

Oct 1, 2009
Y'know, is it just me, or is all of this getting just a little old? Another non Halo fan ranting about Halo, frankly it's been done to death, although the way Bob goes into the various backwards undertones that Halo inadvertently perpetuates, but I can't help notice he still devoted a good minute or so to just complain about how he doesn't like the game. Honestly, it's been bagged out, complained about, met with a lot of criticism (sometimes rightly so), but in the end, it's been done to death, pick a new target Escapist, when people talk about beating a dead horse, this is what they mean, Halo is your dead horse Escapist, bury it and be done.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
CosmicCommander said:
No, you're just reading into it all to much. The eyes were an easy way for the director to symbolise the change from a mundane soldier into super-powerful killing machine. It's meant to reflect a change in the overall state of the soldier, their mind, body, life, all changed. And blue is a noticeable, easy to see colour.
Then why not red or yellow? Those colours stand out too. Or purple, or green? Anything stands out more than brown, so why did they go with blue?

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Bobic said:
SeanTheSheep said:
He repeatedly says things along the lines of "It's unintentional, but seriously guys?" So in short, yes he has, it just makes for less interesting discussion matter. Think if you had to write an essay on a book. Would you write about the plot and characters, or would you discuss the similarities between the book and the blueprint for a giant mecha-zombie dragon?
The blueprint option of course, because people will keep reading that one rather than discussion about how character x and character y talked a lot.

OT: While your inferences are technically valid Bob, like you pointed out, they don't mean anything, that's just an accidental projection of the human state of mind of "different is scary".
But I could argue that there's no projection whatsoever, they just wanted some funky looking creatures to shoot at.
They most certainly did want funky looking creatures, they made funky looking creatures.
They put in the idea that the enemy is bad. A perfectly reasonable assumption. The thing is, while the enemy is varied and different, your troops show about as much variations as apples do: You get ones in slightly different colours, sizes and flavours, but it's just one part of the fruit salad.
Bungie are accidentally putting something out that says only apples are good, and pineapples suck, especially when you add oranges, grapes, passionfruit and other things in a derailed variety metaphor.

Of course they didn't mean to do that, it's not overt, there's a lot of other stuff in the game too,[footnote]Good stuff mind you, if a little same-y[/footnote] and you have to do some heavy reading between the lines with a few jumps of logic left out in the sun too long, but you can still get to the conclusion that Bungie made anti-variety propaganda when trying to make a fun game.
[sub]I'm not so sure why I'm using so many metaphors, but my point is that it isn't doing anything to us, you can just make that inference of that, and Bungie didn't mean to.[/sub]

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Um... im not a Halo Fanboy, heck I hardly even bothered with Reach, I was willing to give up on it and played the others for the Gamerscore... But wasn't the sniper in Noble team middle eastern ish?
Other than that its interesting too see that the escapist will pay for someone to get preachy about gaming culture... not that we haven't seen that before.

Daft Ghosty

Sep 25, 2010
MovieBob said:
Combat Evolved?

This week MovieBob rants about Halo.

Watch Video
So let me get this strait. You dabbled in the first Halo game, and were convinced to play the new one Halo Reach, and from that you are going to make a all encompassing review of the whole universe, and the underlining story? Humm mind if I ask you to provide me with a name of a book, or movie that you enjoy the story in? Then I'll write a review based on reading the dustjacket, or watching the trailer. Because that is the extent of what you have done with the story in the Halo universe. It is far from original, but fascist? The problem with the review is you are reviewing something you have very little knowledge on. Hate, and racism are founded on ignorance. And what is ignorance, but blind judgment of what you don't understand.

If you don't like Halo fine. I can understand that very well. I can respect that, because the game isn't everyone's cup of tea. But what you said in your review is so far off the mark as to be grossly wrong. You don't have a understanding of what is happening in the story arch, and are far off the mark about the humans, and covenant as well. Research what you going to soap box about.

Why am I being critical of a game review? Because as you said this is going to be your soap box video. If you can't be bothered to understand what you are talking about when talking about a game, then will you have the time to do the same, in the future when you cover important topics that matter. Remember this may be a op-ed piece, but allot of people watch. It's one thing to give an opinion, it is another to give an opinion based off incorrect facts. We have enough talking heads these days on the big news stations, I was hoping that people like you would be smarter about their op-ed pieces, then the stuffed shirts on tv.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
This is quite interesting..this is looking much better than escape to the movies.
There was something wrong with E.t.t.M?

I really liked it. What didn't you like about it? (geniunely interseted)

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
I'm sorry but I think Movie Bob needs to do a little more research for future videos because he openly admitted he hadn't played Halo 2 or 3. The games in which the humans team up with the elites for the sake of a common goal. I also don't like how he tries to make it seem the humans are the ones bullying the covenant around when the games make it clear that the covenant are a genicidal group bent on the destruction of the universe. I'd say that would be enough to start a war with.

Another thing that bugged me was that he wanted to point out how the covenant was so rich and diverse while the humans were only one race. Well you know how the covenant got all those races to agree with them? They murdered and destroyed the various races until they were forced to join. One of the reasons the covenant met all those races in the first place was that they beat the humans in the space race by thousands of years. If the humans had discovered another race out in the galaxy, they would have jumped at the idea to ally with them.

(I really hope I don't come across as some diehard Halo fanboy)

I respect Movie Bob for the work he puts into his videos, I really do, but I just think he should do a little more research before writing off a game series like Halo as having racist undertones.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Okysho said:
Then why not red or yellow? Those colours stand out too. Or purple, or green? Anything stands out more than brown, so why did they go with blue?
MEANWHILE... INSIDE THE BUNGIE HQ:

Developer 1: Huh... Some guy's saying we're racist.
Developer 2: What?!
Dev 1: Apparently the blue eyes in the Halo Reach Live Action trailer prove it.
Dev 2: Erm... What?
Dev 1: Yeah... We were promoting Aryan symbolism, apparently.
Dev 2: We... What the...
Dev 1: Yeah.
Dev 2: Why the fuck would he think that?
Dev 1: I dunno... He doesn't like Halo, apparently.
Dev 2: We were SUPPOSED to know that a vague effect like that could be loosely interpreted as racist by some guy who clearly is just finding reasons to attack us?!
Dev 1: Apparently.
Dev 2: ...So the guy thinks that we should have been consciously thinking "is this racist" all along, despite it being the last thing on ANY dev team's mind? Hell, JRPGs include crude stereotypes all the time, yet they're never accused of racism!
Dev 1: Uhuh...
Dev 2: Damn...

**Scene ends with both men beginning work on "BABY FUCKER 4: I'M GONNA FUCK YOU UP WITH THE PELVIS I PULLED OUTTA SOME ARAB. AND THEN I'M GONNA STUFF SOME KFC IN YA' FACE."**

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
I think most people play Halo for the multiplayer element, to be honest. Great video Bob! Glad to see you're getting more airtime. Hope it doesn't interfere with your column though! Go get 'em, Tiger!

Nycto

Feb 10, 2009
Great start to what looks like a great series.
Well done and continue onwards with this journey of yours into...everything.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
CosmicCommander said:
Okysho said:
MEANWHILE... INSIDE THE BUNGIE HQ:

Developer 1: Huh... Some guy's saying we're racist.
Developer 2: What?!
Dev 1: Apparently the blue eyes in the Halo Reach Live Action trailer prove it.
Dev 2: Erm... What?
Dev 1: Yeah... We were promoting Aryan symbolism, apparently.
Dev 2: We... What the...
Dev 1: Yeah.
Dev 2: Why the fuck would he think that?
Dev 1: I dunno... He doesn't like Halo, apparently.
Dev 2: We were SUPPOSED to know that a vague effect like that could be loosely interpreted as racist by some guy who clearly is just finding reasons to attack us?!
Dev 1: Apparently.
Dev 2: ...So the guy thinks that we should have been consciously thinking "is this racist" all along, despite it being the last thing on ANY dev team's mind? Hell, JRPGs include crude stereotypes all the time, yet they're never accused of racism!
Dev 1: Uhuh...
Dev 2: Damn...

**Scene ends with both men beginning work on "BABY FUCKER 4: I'M GONNA FUCK YOU UP WITH THE PELVIS I PULLED OUTTA SOME ARAB. AND THEN I'M GONNA STUFF SOME KFC IN YA' FACE."**
Woah hey! What's with the personal attacks! I'm just saying they didn't have to be blue!

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Okysho said:
12th_milkshake said:
... yeah talk about looking for meaning in shallow places. Your falling into the critics realm of adding contextual meaning to a game that had none intended, whether the symbolic cock ups are there or not shoehorning it into social dynamics is plain ironic.

The multi culture of the enemies might just be to do with hmm lets see the fact aliens have no limiting factor of imagine or creativity. Where human are limit by the fact that they are human... so cant be as diverse.
This isn't necessarily true. Consider Extra Credit's diversity episode. Besides the one marine that just happens to show up in every halo, where's the black guys? Where's the asian guys? Latinos? middle eastern? How about female marines (besides the pilots and cortana) or... what about a gay spartan? a lesbian spartan?

Like bob said, they've taken some time to push the boundaries of the characters a bit in this game, but you can't tell me you didn't notice that all the marines are either white, british or australian! (I find the mexican ones to be debatable)

Before you counter argue with me that there's not sexual diversity within the covenant, think about it. It's a religious group that has assimilated several different alien races. This means that they have their own background concerning that and... in all likelyhood (speculation here) had their own genocide. Either that, or some of them are asexual or something...

some food for thought
I can answer this for ya. I don't know if you have noticed this, but everyone one of those guys (and women) you mentioned are in the game. Srg. Johnon is the only real main character, plus Miranda Keyes. Other marines seen through out all games (besides halo wars) have different ethnicities, backgrounds, sex etc etc.

The spartan point is mute really, as there weren't "straight" spartans either. After the arguementation process, they had a serverly reduced sex drive. Plus, their main goal was proctecting humanity. Anything else was "second", if they lived that long anyway (which I think 5 or so spartan IIs did)

And I can tell you because I HAVE seen all of them.

And asexual? These guys aren't ameibas... They only "asexual" ones (I use that term lightly) would be the hunters cause they are a collection of worms. The rest of the races have females, but are rarely seen, as again these guys are religous up the ass, and the battlefield is not the area for women (in their eyes) However, if I recall, there was some stuff about women in the craft of making parts, ships, etc. However, that was from tidbits of Halo Wars, which I don't consider canon.

So yah, if you have anything to comment on don't hesitate to ask.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Ok, my view:
You control Master Chief, whose face is never revealed.
You are helped by an outfit of Covenant warriors, led by the Arbiter. (I think? in 3?)
There's some rather important black guy in there, who's apparently kind of a memetic badass. Look up some quotes from him. (I only played Halo: Combat Evolved and the second game, and that was a long time ago :D)
Your other friend is a fucking AI.
The guys leading the Covenant are acitvely attempting to blow up the entire fucking universe.
Ninja killer ultimate space zombies of doom are involved.

... I don't get the part about racism?

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
sagacious said:
I always saw halo not as mono-culture vs multi-culture, but more as the enlightened Atheistic minority triumphing over the crusading majority.
I'm a christian mind, but that seems to be the attitude/message the halo games convey. After all, The Humans (read: atheists) only start to triumph after they win over the elites to their cause. (The elites find out that their religion is bullshit meant to control them)

So no, I don't think halo is racist or subtly master-race supporting. I think is very unsubtly the story of atheistic reason winning versus unenlightened religious zeal. (hell, the lower ranking elites are called ZEALOTS, the leaders are called PROPHETS, and they are going up against the Spartans who are SCIENTIFICALLY engineered to kick ass)

not too hard to figure out.
O_O....Holy hell!! Nice analysis. I mean I knew the Covenant were religious nuts, but THIS POST HERE!!

Good job!