The Big Picture: Combat Evolved?

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I once made a show about how the Gears of War dudes were the bad guys who invaded Sera, drove the natives underground, and when the oppressed masses tried to get their land back, they nuked everything. I basically called them natzis.
Movie Bob, you should give that idea a go, I'm curious if anyone else comes to the same conclusion.

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
Hmmm... I have to say... isn't the escapist trying too much to repeat success now? What I'm trying to say is that since Zero Punctuation went so well they've been adding stuff like this constantly. Look at Extra Credits! and Scape to the Movies itself. Don't get me wrong because I love those shows and the "mini show on a weekly basis" concept really works for web magazines, but it starting to grow thin. Just starting, mind you, so if they draw the line now there probably won't be much problems.

Still, great to hear more from Bob. You should have punched Halo a bit harder Imo but that was good. There can never be enough explaining how much Halo isn't really all that good beyond production. Its just a well crafted peace of sameness... but thats just me.

Keep to good stuff coming.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
this could be good, but he neglected to mention that the humans teamed up with the Elites in Halo 2 and 3

so... the humans just really wanted ANY ally, but the other people didn't WANT to be their ally. THEY were the ones who wanted to do the "cleansing" of the human race. WE were just sitting back and defending ourselves

but yeah, Bungie isn't exactly helping themselves with the whole "blue eyes" thing. (unless it's a The Who reference :D)

SomeBritishDude said:
I love reading too much into things.

Also...Movie Bob is the one to get a second show? No offence ment but...Movie Bob?! Da fuck?

Can't wait for that Hit with an Axe spin off...
people actually watch that show? XD

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I guess that means the overthinker is out on its ass then?

Good stuff as always Bob, but...

...well, I love your stuff, but can you stop taking pot-shots at Halo. I'm not a fan either, but when I realized this video would be about Halo I almost clicked away.
I guess what I mean to say is: you have talent in your analysis, now please analyze something else.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Well, you sort of started on a good reason for not being a fan of the games...but then you just completely went off as to why you hate the idea of the games.

Sephiroth_deus

Jul 25, 2009
I knew you could do something about Halo. It wasn't what I expected and for that I thank you. One thing I'm wondering though is how this is going to be different from The Game Overthinker. I mean aside from the artistic style of it.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
I'll put it on trial status for now, as I do with most new shows. It seems interesting enough, but much like Extra Credits, it's another soapbox show. Then again, soapboxing on topics other than video games should come out interesting.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Love it. LOVE. IT.

It's like the Game Overthinker, only it's about everything and it's on the Escapist.

I'm a big fan.

MisterLillie

Mar 18, 2009
I like the new show Bob! Way to make your mark by going after Halo. "que the hate mail!" Can't wait for next week.

Karisse

Apr 16, 2008
Excellent start to a new series. While the subtext of purity vs. mixed is pretty obvious now that Bob mentioned it, I certainly never took notice. But, that said, it's Halo. As Bob said, no one plays it for the story or subtext, and those that don't play it more than likely stopped caring about anything the game had to offer (I use that term loosely) before the second game came out.

So do we not notice these subtexts because we're just so used to it or do we not notice it just because we haven't bothered to notice the presentation at all? You could even pull out a bigger picture about the medium of video games itself: do we not notice these subtexts because society as a whole doesn't notice video games beyond acknowledging their existence?

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
I wasn't going to comment but some people said this was though provoking. Though provoking is symbolism that can be interpreted in many ways. This is just BOB telling us his view is the best view again.

Iglock

Mar 23, 2009
Where the heck did this come from!?

I thought it would be about how the gameplay in the halo/other AAA games hasn't progressed much through sequels- hence the "?" in the title. Turns out it was about multiculturalism vs fascism?

Can't say it was what I expected.
Interesting though...

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Or, y'know, maybe they just wanted a diverse array of aliens to shoot up, where their hazard level is broadcast by their physical stature (small monkey thing = weak; gigantic bear-gorilla = strong) similar to TF2's classes having distinct silhouettes, and then filled in an excuse plot around it. Doesn't strike me as "kill them because they dare to be unlike us" so much as "and that's why you're shooting split-face reptiles and shield-carrying vulture-people". I know the implications are there, but it's hard to consider them intentional.

Just saying.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Yeah, uh, Bungie? Y'might want to watch what you're doing.

But yeah, the Covenant look like they'd be more fun to play as, the whole "amalgamation of a bunch of different races working for the same goal," thing. And as far as the monoracial vs. multicultural thing, I think it's a case of people being afraid of change, as in what would change if we as a people were more open to diversity.

HominidxHunter

May 24, 2010
New show? By MovieBob? FANTASTIC!

On the whole Halo thing, I don't think they were really planning on any terrible racist undertones. I think some people are reading too far into something that's a bit face value.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Not bad. I like the idea of this show. Will tune in again next week.

Also, a very nice view on Halo. One I've never looked at because I've never played it that much.