The Big Picture: Combat Evolved?

Jul 9, 2010
I almost face-palmed when I saw you were going on a Halo rant, but yeah, it was an interesting video and I like the Covenant but I think you might be being too biased.

Good to see you have a new show though, look forward to more.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
MovieBOB what color did you want his eyes to change to! Green was already taken by Dragon Ball and if they turn black you would say he is becoming evil.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Wow, he read into that game harder than those fake christians pretended to read into Minecraft.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
MovieBob said:
Combat Evolved?

This week MovieBob rants about Halo.

Watch Video
I love how he rants about how honestly cool and in depth the story really is, but then pretends like he thinks its bad.

Congratulations MovieBob, you're just as brainwashed about the "need" to hate on Halo as the rest of the world.

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Have fun with your new show Bob ;). Hope you like it as long as your bosses don't lay off whatever "Crazy idea" drugs they're taking :>

As for the subject of this episode... well I'm not really sure if you are not looking too much into it but oh well... but I have to agree I felt kinda weird when the guy's eyes turned blue in the commercial. Not only was it weird it was kinda unsettling.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
More of Bob?! Today just got more epic!

And its a show of rants! HELL YEAH!

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
congrats on the new show Bob
I have alway enjoyed The GameOverthinker and Escape to the Movies and I'll look forward to seeing more of this.

also I had never really realized the racial subtext to the Halo game, possibly because anytime I ever even looked at a Halo game it was because a friend or my brothers forced me to do so. I never really cared about the storyline and I actively hate the online multiplayer.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
awesome show dude. makes tuesdays a bit more fun now.

caballitomalo said:
Hmmm... I have to say... isn't the escapist trying too much to repeat success now? What I'm trying to say is that since Zero Punctuation went so well they've been adding stuff like this constantly. Look at Extra Credits! and Scape to the Movies itself. Don't get me wrong because I love those shows and the "mini show on a weekly basis" concept really works for web magazines, but it starting to grow thin. Just starting, mind you, so if they draw the line now there probably won't be much problems.

Still, great to hear more from Bob. You should have punched Halo a bit harder Imo but that was good. There can never be enough explaining how much Halo isn't really all that good beyond production. Its just a well crafted peace of sameness... but thats just me.

Keep to good stuff coming.
i kinda agree with you, but don't forget about the film festival. we'll be getting another original show soon enough (well, hopefully original).

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
dex-dex said:
It is interesting. I will give you that.

also saying your employers are maybe batshit loco is not the way to go. That is what got me fired from my second job.
He was joking.
Yes. I was aware of that. It is called sarcasm.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
You're overthinking it. Deeefinitely.

It's seriously the most stretched out thing I've heard since the whole Resident Evil 5 thing.

Also, I do believe there is that one guy who noticed that. Vrex.

[small]We don't talk much about him.[/small]

I kid, I kid.

[small]You're cool, Vrex.[/small]

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
One more post. Moviebob I hope you read this I am typing as hard as I can. You missed the point. Covenant are diverse in form but the Humans are diverse in function. Its monotheistic slavery of the multy culture vs a species that is divers in thoughts and ideas but they have no non human allies.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
I know it's kind of your job to over think things but would you not think that maybe the reason that the enemies in halo are alot more diverse then the player characters is because......they're the ones we're looking at all the time. It's a first person game remember?

Also there are no good guys in halo. The spartans kill just as many humans as they do covenant, and in all of the stories surrounding the series, just as much sympathy is conveyed for the races of the covenant as for the humans, including halo 2 where you actually play as an elite.
In fact the only thing that comes close to a villain in the entire series is the flood......you know the homogeneous consumption driven mass, the only aim of which is to propagate itself by means of wiping all individualism from the face the universe.

Jul 22, 2009
Oh great more unfounded Halo hate... I know you at least tried to make good and interesting arguments but so many people are going to bandwagon on this it's ridiculous.

And seriously what the hell is that bit about Hitler and neo-fascism? Was that really needed?

I will wait for a subject that doesn't annoy me as much before deciding if I like this show or not...

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
So, this is The General Overthinker in disguise. Certainly, much overthinking was included in this.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
OH. DEAR. GOD!!! What hath The Escapist unleashed!? Good thing I dont really pay that close of attention to Halo's story, cause my mind was just blown...

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I thought it was pretty good.

I enjoy MovieBob's movie reviews and respect his opinions, however, I don't think this is a good decision to go with on a weekly basis. I think that his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of film allows hims to make these kind of 'big picture' rants without convincing me (this is a subjective opinion after all) that his observations and conclusions aren't just as valuable/disposable as every other voice on the internet. But, I'm not yet convinced that this applies to video games. These rants make up just one component of his film reviews, but this video had only one real discussion going on, and the faces don't convey his thoughts or emotions particularly well.

Escapist staff, if you're going to give MovieBob a second video each week, I would rather hear about more movies than more . . . stuff.