The Big Picture: Combat Evolved?

Comando96

May 26, 2009
I hate Halo.

Well done movie Bob for having standards and speaking in such a way that no halo fan boys could understand what on earth you were on about ;)

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Woah 800 comments, slim chance of me saying anything that hasn't been said ... But it may all have been just a coincidence, i mean players need various types of enemies so they don't get bored by the monotony, while their own team doesn't need diversity, it just needs to be cool enough or something.

Anyway i loved the new show and im looking forward to more, you got lots of smart stuff to say but you kinda spoil movies when you do that. ;)

frostgiant

Jan 15, 2010
Next week, Bob ridicules Christians because they believe in something.
Bob, I am sorry I tuned in for this, I think I will stick to your movie reviews as my rage towards your liberal douchey idealogy might make my head explode. Good luck with this though.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
damnit, why is it every time halo crops up on this site it makes me feel ashamed of playing it?

anyway not the point, Bob makes a good point.

pigmy wurm

Nov 18, 2009
I don't agree completely with your view of the covenant, when I see them I think of a harsh cast system: your born a grunt, you are a foot soldier, your born an elite you are a Sargent or general, your born a jackal you are a marksman, but I to found the covenant far more interesting.

Specifically the arbiter's plot from Halo 2 I found a lot more interesting than any of the rest of the games (although the level design could have been better in places) you have a disgraced general who goes on a suicide mission to regain his honor. On that mission he finds out that his leaders are blind fouls who's plan will result in their own destruction and he has to team up with his former enemies (the ones who disgraced him) in order to save his people. That is an interesting plot, I want more of that and less of "get from point A to point B and kill everything in your way."

The_awesome_one

Sep 21, 2010
Christopher N said:
damnit, why is it every time halo crops up on this site it makes me feel ashamed of playing it?

anyway not the point, Bob makes a good point.
No, he dosen't. He's lack of knwoledge and random accusasions wich have as base he's own ignorance of the Halo universe are poop. He makes 0 points, only thing it does is piss off people like me. That think that he's just tooo silly when talking games...

Reav

Jun 26, 2009
Now what I saw there was the exact opposite to the BIG PICTURE term. More like THE SMALLEST PICK from a not so deep game to talk about racism some more. Because game developers are c bit subconciously racist, like no other people are. and yes!
Tipsy Giant said:
I think it's quite the opposite, we don't notice because we have gotten to a point where the majority are not fearful of difference in race and culture
and saying that the race u play against in a game is evil because u play against it is realy mature. do allied forces become evil if i play for the axis in Memoir'44?

although it all could be a troll. nicely done in that case.

anyways i'm done with your shows, that was too lame.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Oh gee, another outlet for movie bob to spread his smug words of 'wisdom'. So Halo is like Starship troopers... What a novel concept! I never heard that before! What earth breaking revelation shall you reveal next? That the secret to a long and happy life is breathing? [/sarcasm]
To be honest though, I used to like movie bob, but lately he has seemed to be incredibly full of himself. This video just confirmed my fears. Sorry Movie Bob, but this is the last you'll be seeing of me.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I showed my friend this, my friend who plays Halo, and he said he didn't recall anything about blue eyes... in the novelization.

He said that while the games stories aren't that good, he thought the first game's story was alright, and the novelization was kick-ass.

So, maybe you ought to check it out? To see if there really is anything redeemable about Halo?

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Leaving aside the whole "surprise nazi undertones in Halo" thing, it's harder to be aware and get used to racial and etc diversity, because 1. Diversity is usually the exception, rather than the norm. and 2. People are afraid of what's slightly different, slightly off (see one of the last Extra Credits videos). Sure, not everyone's afraid or subconsciously despises every other race or religion or whatever..but there IS a combination or a few that work on everyone's nerves for no solid reason whatsoever.

Just my 2 eurocents on it.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
MovieBob said:
Combat Evolved?

This week MovieBob rants about Halo.

Watch Video
im quoteing you to try and explain why all the guys in halo look the same for the humans. Its a millitary thing uniforms are for intimenation. Lets say you were faceing a group of solders that were wareing all different uniforms and all looked different would that inspire fear in you?

Now same situation only all the solders looked like each other and by that i mean helments that obsere what they look like so as far as you know its the same guy you just shot trying to kill you. Lot more scary huh.

(sorry for the misspells my dam spellcheck doesnt want to work for me right now)

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Man... I DID love the Starship Troopers novel...

That's what we're talking about here... right?

To be fair though... that "Man verse Monsters" bit on the Starship Troopers picture... the war was like a backdrop to the rest of the story... hell, you didn't even see the Bugs for more than two or three Chapters...

pigmy wurm said:
Specifically the arbiter's plot from Halo 2 I found a lot more interesting than any of the rest of the games (although the level design could have been better in places) you have a disgraced general who goes on a suicide mission to regain his honor. On that mission he finds out that his leaders are blind fouls who's plan will result in their own destruction and he has to team up with his former enemies (the ones who disgraced him) in order to save his people. That is an interesting plot, I want more of that and less of "get from point A to point B and kill everything in your way."
Same... That's why Halo 2 was the only halo game I actually enjoyed till Reach came out. (Halo 3 spat on everything 2 built up...) I picked up Reach for 4 player co-op, but was pleasantly surprised to have enjoyed the story so well.

Redemption003

Apr 19, 2009
I guess this just goes to show that you can take a ridiculous, narrow-minded and idiotic concept, dress it up in an intelligent manner and convince hordes of people that you're a genius. Before I go more into this I'll just point out that I'm not some raving Halo fan-boy or anything (never owned either Xbox for starters, I have played 1,2,3 and Reach thanks to friends though and they aren't spectacular, but they aren't as bad as most of the internet community would have you believe).

Now that I've covered my back from anti fan-boy rage I'll continue. It actually annoys me that MovieBob's videos are so popular. He comes across as an elitist douche a little too far up his own ass for his own good and then people take his word as gospel a lot of the time.

Keeping with the context of the video, no matter how much you say "it may not have been intentional" it won't make your point any more valid. The Covenant brainwash entire species into carrying out a sequence of events that will bring about the destruction of all sentient life. Seems like a good enough reason for humanity to want to fight them off, does it not (well that and the whole randomly being attacked by the Covenant first thing)? It has nothing to do with some racist undertones that the humans may have (hell, they even tried to make the "faceless" Spartans more diverse with Reach for crying out loud). Maybe over-thinking without having a full understanding of the story isn't such a good idea after all, something you might want to take into account with every other video you make.

TL:DR? MovieBob is an elitist tool and that's the Big Picture.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
To be fair, from what little I really understand of the Halo story. Despite all these races that form the Covenant, it is the humans that are placed on a pedestal by being the race which everything was created for.

We place ourselves as higher than everything around us by being the descendants of the forerunners. What is the point of such a plot twist? Why make ourselves as special when all these other races are not?

rascoll

May 24, 2010
O.k. Why is this show Not Featured As the Other Shows are? This should be front page news!

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Chipman for president!

Finally this guy gets what he deserves! More time! To The Movies is one of the oldest shows around, and one of the best, but the amount of comments and advertisement is not a lot. This new show got at least 5 people on probation and 24 pages of comments allready! What's up with that? Is it because of Halo? Let's see if it sticks, I hope it will. He'l give Yahtzee a run for his money!

Now they gave him a show to rant about ANYTHING he wants? God, that's so awesome! All the sidetracks he gets on during to the movies now get a platform? Seriously? Why did that take so long to create? It's solid awesome with golden lining!

I hope the CIA won't think I'm stalking or anything, so don't tighten security yet Bob, but I'm a big fan!