The Big Picture: Combat Evolved?

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
i7omahawki said:
The Youth Counselor said:
Halo is a parable about noble Middle Easterners defending against the evils of European imperialism.
Now that was a hell of a lot more interesting than Bob's rant. While I don't think for a minute that Bungie intentionally designed it that way, it fits far better than any other interpretation I have seen.

As people have previously mentioned, the Covenant IS a monoculture, they have one religion, every race within the Covenant is forced to obey. The UNSC is a military organization, we don't even see the government, or the general populace. Master Chief (and a lot of the ODST's) could be aliens for all we know, we never see them.

Bob's rant was a meaningless projection of bile, if you don't like a game, don't play it, or criticize it in an interesting way. If you truly believed in what you were saying 'variety of enemies + similarity with allies = wrong/fascist/hitler' then why not bring up Mario (a game you purport to love) up to the same critique?
Oh and I forgot the whole bit about the Convenant scouring our solar system for relics like the Templars did during the Crusades, namely the treasure beneath the Temple of Solomon.

Spartan054

Jan 27, 2010
No he wont. Hes to far up on his high horse. If he actully tryed to be a fair an intellegent person he would maybe see that the UNSC is a desedant of the United Nations, the greasts multicultural organization humantiy has ever known. a Organization that premotes democracy and individualism. he has only seen a small part of the halo universe and bases his weak aggrument and very thinly disgused cry for attention on it.

Fail critic/troll has failed.

what ever happen to the guy that looked at actual scary symbolism and messges in media like twilight. oh well looks like the 2nd show went to his head on the 1st episode.

Strifegirl27

Nov 15, 2010
what he's saying is irrelevant...oh yes the covenant weren't really bad guys. they were multicultural and bungie is now racist! ummmm no....the covenant was going to kill every human being, exterminate us like vermin and in the process kill every living thing in the universe.....so no movie bob. It wasn't the multiculturism of the covenant that meant they had to be stopped it was the fact that they were blindly following corrupt and tyrannical, not to mention decietful leaders who would tell any lie and do anything to commit to humanity's demise. Last time I checked, the multicultural groups of today's world aren't collectively trying to exterminate every last human being (except for maybe a few small extremist groups) so of course we should be accepting and encourage all cultures to work together. However, if that were to change, we as a human race would try to stop whoever would commit such attrocities as genocide. Which if we all would step back and remember WWII, we did stop the last people who tried to kill just a part of humanity, not every single last man, woman and child. Besides the elites fight with humans in the 3rd Halo game, showing that the humans are more than willing to side with aliens that are trying to kill them.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
i7omahawki said:
If you truly believed in what you were saying 'variety of enemies + similarity with allies = wrong/fascist/hitler' then why not bring up Mario (a game you purport to love) up to the same critique?
Mostly because that actually wasn't the point.

As for applying this to the Mario franchise... I'm not sure what the point of that is supposed to be, but okay:

2 Italian-Americans, 2 human-looking Princesses of indeterminate nationality, a race of upright-walking humanoid mushrooms (and later humanoid beans) an island's worth of sentient Dinosaurs, whatever the Piantas are supposed to be, living stars, living clouds, a variety of talking animals, plants and fish plus a spacefaring metaphysical woman in a comet and "good" versions of almost every creature-type usually seen fighting for the other side versus... an even more varied enemy army. That seems pretty well-balanced, to me.

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
Totally going to watch this every week. This is pretty much what I watch "Escape to the movies" and "gameoverthinker" for!

Sullybhai

Apr 3, 2010
Vrex360 said:
Ton of text
i agree with you absolutely, it seemed to me like moviebob was doing the same thing a reporter on another website was doing with "Enslaved: Odyssey to the west" She claimed that monkey's tanned skin looked suspicious to her and and the whole death coller thing seemed like a master/slave relationship, that monkey seemed to passively accept his sole as the black slave to the beautiful white mistress.

What. Bull. $#!7.

everyone on this forum called her out on looking for something that just wasn't there in order to meet the article quota set by her editor. why can't you people see that moviebob is doing the same thing? because you like his other show? because you've been a fan and/or listener on Escape to the movies? so basically everything he says must be a Revelation from on high right?

in this week's intermission Bob revealed that he does absolutely NO EXTRA RESEARCH FOR HIS VIDEOS. none. I'm no Halo fanboy, in fact I've only played the first game in the series.

Also I hate the new faces.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
So, resisting murderous religious fanaticism is bad, because we should allow them to exterminate humanity in the name of multiculturalism? Genocide of a homogenous group is fine as long as it's done by a heterogeneous group?

Really?

So you're willing to go on this ridiculous fantastic voyage in order to get to a sore spot when you're talking about a game you hate, but when people point out that Metroid: Other M is blatantly obviously really, really, really, REALLY sexist, that makes them a xenophobic racist?

What a crock.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
G-Force said:
DRog said:
I think Bob may have looked too deep into this one. Throughout the video, he keeps saying that the spartans fighting the covenant is bad because the covenant are working for a common goal. He's missing the part where the goal is to DESTROY THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE. Not the greatest thing to support. Bob is looking way too deep for subtext that isn't there. When he sees it isn't there, he makes up some white supremacy nonsense. Way to start off the series strong. I can't wait for the next one, where he compares Gordon Freeman to Hitler for trying to kill the outsiders to the human race.
And often times within the video Bob SAYS he's looking too much into it. Also I thought the Covenant was more about the eradication of humans as opposed to the entire universe? Arguing from a morality standpoint the only reason why we see them as evil is because of our point of view as humans. Meanwhile they see us as the ones being in the wrong simply because we're getting in the way of their goal.

Again Bob even says that all the stuff he sees is probably unintentional but you have to admit the live of confidential evidence is quiet astounding. Especially when he was arguing about white dominance and shows a cutscene where a Spartan's eyes turn blue.
They're trying to activate the Halo. They believe that this will usher them on their "great journey", but what it will actually do is kill every sentient life in the universe.

So yeah, they're trying to kill the universe.

I love how 70% of the people here (including, quite proudly, Bob) have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Kwatsu said:
Yeah... normally I like MovieBob's stuff, I enjoy his columns, but I think this was stretching for symbolism that wasn't there. I mean, the Covenant design and backstory could have been as simple as "this is an inversion of the normal roles in aliens vs humans stories, which usually have disparate humans band against one homogeneous alien force."

His analysis can be interesting, but this felt more like simply prodding the Halo community for a reaction, and reaching for connections that are not in evidence. MovieBob is better than that. Here's hoping the next video improves.
You hit the nail on the head. He's trolling Halo fans. He's not better than that, and never has been. He has always taken a lot of pleasure in trolling the fanbases of franchises he dislikes.

Whether those franchises are Halo, Twilight, or Christianity, he pokes and prods while laughing maniacally. The popularity of the franchise and the seriousness of the fanbase are both directly proportional to the maliciousness of his tweaking. He is a part-time critic, but a full-time troll. Don't ever assume he's better than that, and you'll never be disappointed.

mythil

Nov 14, 2010
A lot of people here are overlooking the fact that this is entertainment, and decent entertainment at least (Don't worry Bob, I like you, I'm just hard to please :)

I don't think Bob will be protesting outside Halo HQ with a "Ban the Nazi Game" placard, it's just poking a little fun at coincidences that are.. well.. funny.

IMO, Halo users have too much butt hurt to have a laugh about it :)

GamerRelic

Mar 2, 2010
As a halo fan I was all like wow for a second. then I was like oh wait a second.I then realized he was just fucking with us and trying to get halo fanboys angry.

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
PhiMed said:
Kwatsu said:
Yeah... normally I like MovieBob's stuff, I enjoy his columns, but I think this was stretching for symbolism that wasn't there. I mean, the Covenant design and backstory could have been as simple as "this is an inversion of the normal roles in aliens vs humans stories, which usually have disparate humans band against one homogeneous alien force."

His analysis can be interesting, but this felt more like simply prodding the Halo community for a reaction, and reaching for connections that are not in evidence. MovieBob is better than that. Here's hoping the next video improves.
You hit the nail on the head. He's trolling Halo fans. He's not better than that, and never has been. He has always taken a lot of pleasure in trolling the fanbases of franchises he dislikes.

Whether those franchises are Halo, Twilight, or Christianity, he pokes and prods while laughing maniacally. The popularity of the franchise and the seriousness of the fanbase are both directly proportional to the maliciousness of his tweaking. He is a part-time critic, but a full-time troll. Don't ever assume he's better than that, and you'll never be disappointed.
Okay. Though to be fair, I find his movie analysis -- when he's not talking about a franchise -- tends to be quite well-informed. The problems start when he gets away from talking about movies, which is one reason why these videos concern me a bit. I'm not really a fan of the franchises he generally goes after, so his trolling doesn't register with me, though I can see how it would be annoying.

The other issue is that film makers and reviewers on this site have to try and compete with Yahtzee, who's got a strong persona going on already. They need their own shtick, and in some cases they're still finding it.

Regardless, MovieBob was starting to sound like Glenn Beck for a minute there. That's something the Escapist, and the gaming community, REALLY doesn't need.

The Long Road

Sep 3, 2010
This video made me lose a lot of respect for MovieBob. Usually he confines his trolling to simple glib remarks during his movie reviews, but now he has gone into full paranoid rant mode. All of his major "points" are crazed overexaminations of simple tropes that exist only to enrich the experience.

The Covenant has many diverse races for reasons of gameplay. The Grunts are small and squat, indicating that they are not a big threat. The Elites are tall, lanky, and angular, which makes them stand out more as the legitimate threat that they are. Hunters are massive and hulking like slow but heavily armed and armored creatures. Such things apply to every race of the Covenant. They are specifically designed to stand out at a distance instead of blending together and making long-range identification a clusterf*ck. Humans, however, don't need to be identified at range very often, and don't show up much in general, so their design does not need to be as unique. Also, let's remember that they are based on the United States Marine Corps., which prides itself on uniformity of their troops. If you don't stick out, you aren't a target.

Carter's eyes turn blue to indicate that the surgery worked. It's not that they turned blue, MovieBob, it's that they turned so vibrantly blue. You can't show eyes turning vibrantly brown. Considering that those are the only two common eye colors, they were kinda limited by human biology. If his eyes had turned, say, bright red, it would look like he had been turned evil or something. Blue is the perfect middle ground between showing the surgery success and making him a superhuman freak.

There are more, but those are the two biggest ones that stood out to me. The Escapist has always been fairly anti-Halo, but this latest video shows that they are going out of their way to troll it and its fans. Halo is a fascist fantasy of a "master race" defeating the "mixed races"? Did you even play Halo, MovieBob? Did you see how underpowered the "master race" humans are portrayed? I'm pretty sure the Nazi propaganda never showed a desperate and impassioned defense of the Berlin proper against the Allies. Nobody shows the superiority of their "race" by showing them desperately fighting for their final stronghold.

At least when Yahtzee trolls, he does it in a hilarious video that is a good barometer of the actual worth of a game. This was just one giant lump of troll sh*t. The Escapist should be ashamed of letting this tripe out under their name.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Rant all you want about Halo its basic story and characters are still better than the SW eps.

Back to the rant, subtle rant is subtle. The trouble I have with it is you miss the rest of humanity when you target the Spartans, not to mention the multi gender/racial army backing up the Spartans.

The Convenient a muti racial army that runs on arcane ideals that are no longer needed(since the flood was mostly contained and all) vrs humanity and its multi racial army with quassi nazisitic super soldiers only the only thing nazisitic is their look.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The subtle context you are trying to paint just fails you'd be better off picking on the story in halo (a shooter series meaning it has less story than most action films) but whatever, good show man have fun with it!

mythil

Nov 14, 2010
Perhaps people should stop moaning about how one person who's not really going to effect the game is making a little fun about Halo. Comedy, criticism and entertainment are all subjective, it's the usual story that if someone says something you don't like there will always be people will always believe that it's somehow a personal attack on them.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Late to the party but Woo! More Bob!

I must have seen that Halo commercial a hundred times, and I never noticed the eye thing. That is odd. Mostly because, well, why?

havass

Dec 15, 2009
Mmm. Another show to look forward to on this site.
I kinda understand why Bob's the one that gets a second show. His other job only needs 2 hours for him to sit through, then the rest of the week to sit down and edit stuff.

SuperNashwan

Oct 1, 2010
An interesting missive, bit deeper than usual. Next time I think I'll click on it when Im feeling a little happier because right now I can feel myself going off to a dark place.

Where is my tinfoil hat?