The Big Picture: Continanity

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
My brain hurt trying to understand all of this.

Then again I not really into DC comic or their backstories. Still a interesting topic overall.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Thanks for explaining... as a casual fan I've always been curious about the multi-verse and how it came to be and why... consider that curiosity stomped dead. As big as I am on multi-dimensional concepts this sounds like wayyyyy to deep of a rabbit hole to throw myself down.

Nexus4 said:
Umm... Shouldn't the title be 'Continuity' and not 'Continanity'?
Continuity + Insanity = Continanity. It's listed in the Earth 3 version of Webster's Dictionary. :D

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I have only three words:

Bat pirate. AWESOME.
No, it is ASEWOMEÜBERPWNAGEARGASMCHUCKNORRISCAKEISALIE.

And holy toodles, thanks Bob for at least trying to give us more insight to the deeper DC universe. You could actually make a Marvel episode next.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Could'nt agree more Bob. Comic continuities have become such a complete mess for outsiders such as myself, that TV and films interpretations of these characters have actually become the ONLY way I've been able to enjoy either DC or MARVEL comic characters.

Feb 13, 2008
And Marvel would never have done...

Oh...

DCs in-continuity was always a joke though. As much as Aunt May's immortality.

It's somewhat fitting that Spidergirl is far more of a badass than Batgirl ever was. In fact they had to cripple her to make her popular.

I don't know, comics really need to understand their audience a little better, or at least understand themselves.

300lb. Samoan said:
Continuity + Insanity = Continanity. It's listed in the Earth 3 version of Webster's Dictionary. :D
Heheheheheh

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Pirate Batman made my day!

I'm pretty damn sure I'm a geek now, because while I don't obsess over comic book continuity, I do obsess over (some) game continuity. I remember having a huge hissy fit when Nintendo didn't properly follow up Super Mario Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2, acting as though none of it ever happened. Which, if you've seen the ending of Super Mario Galaxy, you could probably make a guess about why or how that happened, but it's not like Nintendo's actually acknowledging it.

But I digress, neat video!

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Hasen't Batman had just about the most alternate reality/universe settings of all the DC heros?

Bombastuss

Dec 5, 2007
I've always wanted to get into comics but due to things like this I never know where to start.

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
I actual find it strange sometimes that casual readers of comics don't like the multi-verse concept, its what they are getting everytime they watch a cartoon of the series.

Just read each comic or series of comics as its own little story, comics are written to accommodate these days, I've read in articles and interviews that "every comic is someone's first comic" is a writing credo, and that aside from crossover events most first pages of character thought bubbles are devoted to recapping the story-so-far.

Then I remember how I am a geek, and keeping track of this stuff for me is like 'remembering where the salt shaker is' is to normal people. It is just part of my own anti-life equation, destroying my life.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Yes, the whole deal with Batman was very strange, indeed. Like with any Grant Morrison book (that I've read) you have to read it all in one, convenient package. It may not make as much sense, but you don't have to wait months for the damn thing to finish.