The Big Picture: Cooking Show - A Look at Too Many Cooks

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Jennacide said:
You'd be wrong, since I own all the DVDs and still watch all the episodes barring like 3, either for not being up to snuff (Rabbot 1) or just going too far (microwaving cats in Redickulous). Your explaination is a good justification on why Venture Bros is a better show, and it is, but it's not as telling of how Adult Swim does their shows. Venture Bros instead flies in the face of most of what goes on Adult Swim, as the comedy is more complex and relies on the intelligence of the viewer to get the joke a lot of the time.

We don't have to agree on ATHF, but I do love the show still, not nostalgicly. And would easily put in on the same pantheon of comedy as Futurama, Venture Bros, and Arrested Development. Each have their own way of making the viewer laugh, and that is what I want.
85% may have been exaggerating a bit. Maybe I was just fatigued from watching 130 episodes in a one week time frame. Can I revise my recommendation from "just watch the highlight reel" to, "don't overdose on this show"?

WindofHawks

Aug 14, 2014
Wow...alot of people really seem to hate Too Many Cooks. In fact, I might be in the minority on this thread by liking it. I did find it more interesting and bizare than funny, though. That said some of the absurdity made me laugh pretty hard.

Anyway, I saw a theory in the comments that the murderer is in fact the guys immune system fighting the Introvitus (or whatever the disease was called). The scene changes are actually the virus adapting to the immune response.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
A friend of mine told me that i've to watch this. It would be absolutely hillarious.

My end reaction was: Meh.
It was really anti-fun and to predictable. Kinda like working off checkboxes of "unexpected" stuff they can put into the sketch.

Not really my taste as it seems.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I started watching that video and then I stopped and my life was improved by several increments.

Seriously. I made to about 1:50 before I skipped ahead to see where this was going, got even more bored and just fucking stopped.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
I wouldn't mind more discussion about Adult Swim, Venture Bros in particular.

Also, read the title initially as "Too Many Cocks", and I initially went "Dammit Bob, you said that this video would be a fun one!"
Oh god, "too many cocks will spoil the broth"

Thats an image I didnt need

KayRead91

Dec 25, 2013
The Adult Swim infomercials, much like the rest of their programming, is hit or miss for me. Too Many Cooks was a hit, I dug the kind of clever way it managed to seemingly spoof ALL of television after awhile and my inner horror geek had a chuckle at the horror bits, in fact the chase scene with the woman whose name wouldn't go away with the theme song still playing around her too had me on the floor.

I can't read as much as you seem to into stuff like 12 Oz. Mouse though... (Though the praise you gave The Venture Bros. is well earned.) honestly most of the Matt Maiellaro created cartoons really just feel like stuff created to make stoned frat boys and 11 year olds who think Adult Swim is "edgy" will laugh at. Save for the Dr. Weird segments from early ATHF, I was never really a fan of his style. Then again maybe I'm a hypocrite because I know a lot of people can't stand Superjail! and while I wouldn't call it anything particularly special, I happen to LOVE Superjail aside from the somewhat transphobic elephant in the room. There was one pilot from Adult Swim a few years back though I really wish took off... Drinky Crow I think it was called? I need to watch that short again, it was fun.