The Big Picture: Correctitude

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
It's nice to see someone point this out, theirs a British comedian Stewart Lee who summed it up brilliantly.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
metalmanky306 said:
THEJORRRG said:
Well, of course words only mean what we decide they mean. Language is just arbitrary sounds and symbols used to convey meaning, a meaning which we designate. I'm not sure I understand your point? I realise that words are just noises or letters, but now we have a long established language, a lot words are limited in terms of interpretation.
my point is just that the problem with PC and, in some ways society (in my view) is the fact that some words are offensive regardless of context when context is one of the most important things in communication and when it's ignored it just causes problems most of the time. in other words, while as you pointed out, there needs to be some limit to interpretation for a language to work, i think the limitations have gone too far in some cases.
Oh, yeah, some words are universally offensive, but that is because of the negative connotation they hold. Words like these are easily avoidable, though. If you say the N word (assuming you are not one) it will always be offensive, even if you're joking. What I'm saying is that if you're saying something offensive, even for comedic effect, you shouldn't if you know someone will be upset by it, because if you do, you're just being nasty, BUT, it's more important to not be offended by things people say. You've got to have a sense of humor about everything.
I'll try and sum this up.
You have the right to say what you want, but with that comes the responsibility to use your words respectfully.
How's that?

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Huh... Well, that was certainly the angle i wasn't quite expecting. From what i've seen, it's not the 'dude stop saying i'm politically incorrect' rap, it's 'dude, stop being so damn politically correct'. Sometimes, people take political correctness too far. I don't think there's even an issue identifying between what is and isn't being 'politically incorrect' or 'just being a jerk'. I think people of both parties should realise when they're trying too hard to cover their own arses. There should be political correctness, but it should be very loose. I'm not advocating the use of sexist / racist / bigoted comments of any minority, but people ought to drop this hypersensitive response that we've seemed to adopted now. "Oh, we have to include a woman / ethnic minority / homosexual in this scene / act / story / game / whatever in order to demonstrate our political correctness'. I think it should be recognised when that is being forced. Cases like that are probably in the decline now, but as we focus on the progressive society, people can end up trying a little bit too hard to please all of the people all of the time. I can't say i've ever heard someone using the 'i'm not being politically incorrect, damn you! Look at this tyranny!' approach, but likewise it shouldn't be allowed to fly as an excuse to say whatever harmful comments that person makes.

I guess my point is that both groups should calm down. People can be overly PC and some people can claim they're being wrongfully accused of not being PC when they're just being a jerk. The focus on a need to be or identify what is and isn't 'PC' really needs to go, or at least have less of a focus.

I'd also like to say that i never really understood what zombies in RE5 had to do with AIDS (i heard that's one of the complaints?) since 'Las Plagas' is an organism, not a virus if i remember. Not only that, but i didn't really get why Sheva's tribal outfit was "uncool". I thought it's heritage? Shouldn't she be proud of that? I thought it looked good on her, but then maybe i'm just ignorant. I do understand the complaints behind people saying it showed african people being literal "spear-chuckers" while mister white man rolls in with his 21st century guns, but even then i didn't think it was important enough to make an issue out of it. The zombies themselves have a somewhat greyed skin colour and rotted / mutated faces, not to mention the plagas that sometimes emerged, certainly made them less than human and for that reason i disassociated them with being real human African tribesman and associated them far more with being the undead / mutants. It's not like all those guns gave me any real advantage, anyway. I still died plenty of times, so i didn't even 'feel' like that big bad white boy image mowing down black tribesman like people bang on about. Maybe i'd feel differently if i was African myself, but part of me can't help but feel some of the backlash for RE5 was a little bit excessive.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Well, if Bob's problem is with people being pretentious, then he should also recognize that by calling people bigots because they have certain opinions, he's already assuming he's correct and on the side of righteousness. Nothing he said in the video was actually a rational argument against these people, it was just him presuming that he was already correct and calling people who disagreed with him names.

I frankly prefer rational argumentation, and saw none of it here, not that I'm a huge fan of Fox news pundits either. All I'm saying is that Bob's hypocrisy is rather obvious and funny. He obviously hasn't even considered the possibility that some of these things are agendas, he just labels anyone who isn't on the pc bandwagon a bigot. People have a right to be racist if they want to be, they also have a right to question whether such social improvement agendas are actually productive. If you want to combat these people, do it with historical and social facts and figures put into a rational argument, don't just call them names and pat yourself on the back. If you do that then you're really no better than them.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Fr said:
anc[is]Carlos and Jeff are really funny :'(

please don't quote me just to tell me they're not, waste of everyones time
I believe that Jeff is really funny myself personally.

Now as for the thread, I am also tired of all this political correctness going around. Both sides of it. Some are getting too damned uptight with words that we're actually censoring or renaming things, such as classic novels that used racist words, simply because it offends people these days? Are you shitting me? They're relics from the past that we need to view and see objectively, so that we can learn from our past and see what happened and never forget. While others are just plain outright ignorant with their remarks, but that borders at times racism or sexism.

I personally have seen both sides, especially where I live. I have friends that are extremists on either side of the fence, and I honestly don't give a damn. I'm not even on the fence, because I don't allow words to hurt me or anger me anymore like they used to. Now I simply sit back, look puzzled, think, and move on. When we learn that a word is simply a word, then we can move on. Just because someone decides to take a PERFECTLY FINE word one day and use it as an insult, do we now have to censor that word?

I use the word "gay" a lot whenever I talk, and people ask me why I'm talking about homosexuals. I state that I am not, as gay means happy. If I was talking about homosexuals, I'd say homosexuals, as it's the accurate term for what I am discussing.

For crying out loud, if I went outside tomorrow and starting yelling and calling people a "BACKPACK!" whenever they upset me through their actions, would that be considered an insult and politically incorrect or requiring of censorship? No. It's a word. Get over it.

Lastly, I'm just going to ignore this thread. Too many people are going to try and bring me down since I don't agree with Bob here, which I normally do, or because I offended them by saying backpack.

Neil Ashby

Feb 23, 2011
Afraid i dont think bobs right on this one. Freedoms, especialy the freedom of speech applies to everyone equally. unfortunatlly that means bigots and asshole should say what they like, even if they dont believe in these priciples themselves. part of being a liberal tolerate society or person is to tolerate all opinions even ones you dislike or even hate, otherwise you do become that political correct fascist their always banging on about. i hate lots of things about society in my country and the world in general but for the most part i tolerate them because im better than them.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Wow, it's not often I see Bob get this aggravated over something. Well done Mr. Chipman, it's nice when someone says almost exactly what I feel on a topic a million times better then I ever could.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Bookmarked.

I love it when someone puts the words for something in my mouth when I can't do this for myself.

And for the record, all of you MaxtheReaper fanboys, this video directly pertains to him

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...this one is a little off for me, but then, I'm from the west coast. Bob's experiences are obviously different from mine in this regard.
There is such a thing as rampant political correctness, to this day. He cited George Carlin as politically incorrect. This is true... and George, in my humble opinion, was generally correct in his assessments... but there are people who will listen to his acts, hear one utterance of the word "black" to describe Americans of African descent, and throw a massive hissy fit over "racially insensitensitive terminology". Those people are oversensitive, politically correct douchebags in the same way that people making fried chicken jokes are insensitive, bigoted douchebags.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Neil Ashby said:
Afraid i dont think bobs right on this one. Freedoms, especialy the freedom of speech applies to everyone equally. unfortunatlly that means bigots and asshole should say what they like, even if they dont believe in these priciples themselves. part of being a liberal tolerate society or person is to tolerate all opinions even ones you dislike or even hate, otherwise you do become that political correct fascist their always banging on about. i hate lots of things about society in my country and the world in general but for the most part i tolerate them because im better than them.
You missed the point.

He is not saying that freedom of Speech should be censored, he is saying that the people who use the "I can say what I want", need to be put out on the streets for whom they are.

They throw out these rash statements and vulgar insults and then hide behind this shield of moral bullshit, and they expect themselves to be warriors of free speech.

That Greek Guy

Jul 29, 2009
if there are going to be zombies in africa they are going to be black for the sole reason that black people live in africa.