The Big Picture: Correctitude

loomis

Dec 2, 2010
Ha. Think that was a beavis and butthead flash game I remembered playing 10-12 years ago at 5:27. Nice video

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Wow... Now I feel bad for ever laughing at Jeff Dunham. Then again, I only laughed at his Walter sketches, the other ones weren't that funny to me.

Also, I don't think I've seen you this angry since your Transformers 2 review.

akibawall95

Mar 30, 2010
Wow, that was a great topic and all very true. The Big Picture may become my favorite show on the Escapist. Also you got very worked up Bob but that?s fine it shows you care about the topics you talk about.

millertime059

Jan 7, 2011
I agree with your general theme here (people bashing PC are often just being jerks) there are times where the 'PC police' get a bit crazy.

Two examples of what I mean, politics and Hollywood. In politics often you see such mental gymnastics take place to sling mud at the opposition. Words are twisted in completely counter intuitive, and often just plain fallacious manners. One recent campaign in my area twisted the words of one politician to try and paint them as anti-semitic, despite the politician being portrayed as such being Jewish. All this under guise of being PC. Buh what?

As for my other statement, how many times have you seen a movie where there is token character (insert race/ gender/ disability/ other minority status here). It's insulting all around. It insults the audience by pandering to them, and it insults anyone who is a member of those minority groups by portraying them in broad, often one dimensional, strokes. I'm not saying all (or even most) such characters are PC centric, but you've seen them before. They prevent true social progress by portraying those groups as one note plot devices, rather than people.

So yes, most of the time people using that anti-PC defense are just being trolls or jerks, don't dismiss the idea that sometimes the people using it have legitimate gripes.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Nice one Bob, though I don't think that it'll change anything in online arguements, and it especially won't change trolls but stills, thanks for putting the truth out there.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Hard hitting video with a lot of good points.

but I still think PCU is a fun movie(although horrifically dated)

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Damn Bob, this is one of those Big Picture videos that I completely agreed with you, spot on mate

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
If the feminist orthodoxy turn out to be godzilla I'm sure a lot more people would be behind it

While I had my issue with TBP previously this one was very good

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Well I agree some of what he has to say this week, but not all of it. There is a undercurrent of political correctness that annoys the living shit out of me.

What's wrong with Chairman? Why do we need to change it to the clunky unnatural sounding Chairperson for example? Yeah I get the actual chair might be a woman, but woman and women have man and men in them, so big bloody deal. Let it be a language hold over like calling a judge "your honour"

Oh another that really irks me, if the flight attendant thing, there were already perfectly acceptable English words for those jobs, Steward and Stewardess, what the hell was wrong with them? And while I'm on the subject of jobs, you're not an auto repair technician, you're a mechanic, there are perfectly good words that people refuse to use for stupid reasons.

It's one thing, for example, to change a phrase from something like "retarded" to "developmentally challenged" (though to be fair they mean pretty much the same thing, one just has a long history of use as an insult as well), but come-on there is a thing as going too far; just look at that LA ordnance that wanted to change how hard drive jumpers were labelled, it took an issue with "master" and "slave". ( http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp )

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009
Of course someone using a politically incorrect term in a mean, insulting way is just trolling. Context is what matters when it comes to being PIC, and a lot of the PC backlash isn't necessarily being PIC, but simply hating it when things are made PC that don't need to be.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Carlos and Jeff are really funny :'(

please don't quote me just to tell me they're not, waste of everyones time

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
I'm taking a Chicano Studies class right now as an effort to connect with my Mexican American youths. You see, my parents raised me under an American identity as opposed to a Mexican-American identity; meaning that they focused on teaching me English first as opposed to teaching me Spanish. Upside was that I became the fine, upstanding geek citizen I am today as opposed to the walking, talking stereotype known as the "cholo". Downside: I get flack from one side that I'm not "Mexican" enough and I get flack from the other on why I get "butthurt" they start talking about how "Illegal Immigrants" (really Mexicans) are ruining the country.

I identify with whites more than I do with Mexicans by consequence, not by choice. My Dad and by extension his family have seen the worse of what happened to Mexican-Americans during the 60's and 70's and for the most part have become bitter about it to the point where their views are borderline WASP. Being in this special situation of identifying and being identified with both parties, I've taken it upon myself to call out white people when they're being racist or insensitive and calling out Mexicans for the same and acting like stereotypes. While I'm not a believer in "Political Correctness", I am a believer in common courtesy, and strongly believe that when either side throws slurs and then retaliates by saying they started it first or that they're playing "PC police", it makes you a bigger douchebag than what you already are.

Preach on, Bob. We need more people like you in the world calling out other people's BS.

P.S: "Gringo" is not a racial slur on par with the N-Word: it just means "white person" while the other is a hateful, disgusting term. That is all.

Sepiida

Jan 25, 2010
Though I disagree with some of the specifics of you argument (Resident Evil 5 for example) on the whole it is nice to see someone take the opposite and in my opinion correct view on the subject of political correctness in this day and age.

I really wonder what ever happened to the concept of politeness. Sure disagreeing with people is all well and good, hell it's the only way we make any progress as a species and society, but attacking people in the insulting manner that seems so prevalent today is not only ugly but straight up bad debating. First rule of arguing: the person's ideas are fair game, the person is not. If you can't express your opinion without attacking the person in some way, or shouting for that matter, then you probably don't have a good argument.

Anyways rant over. Bravo sir, bravo.