The Big Picture: Correctitude

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
Mertruve said:
Dude, the point of Wikipedia is that everything has an external, credible source.[citation needed]
Fixed.

Not everything is sourced properly.
Yep. Some times it is down right bad. Wikipedia is amazing in some ways and falls short in others. It is a great place to do a first look to get an idea on where to focus more serious research efforts. It is not a good plan to just rely on it.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
One of the only times ive not walked away from the Big Picture feeling validated, which is probably were 90% of the following rant comes from but still-"politically incorrect" and "being a jerk" are very hard to separate and its a complete value judgement.
"being nice" is a laudible aim but how far do you take it? (and yes this needs to be answered, most people dont have the common sense others do).
For example the controversial behaviour of Gervais at the Golden Globes- alot of people fall in to both camps of the debate, so straight out calling all those who speak their mind or make a joke that cuts too near the knuckle "jerks" is just as bad as the collective of people MovieBob just railed against.
Ultimately its a pointless issue, and commenting on it just serves to pour petrol on it.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
tkioz said:
Well I agree some of what he has to say this week, but not all of it. There is a undercurrent of political correctness that annoys the living shit out of me.

What's wrong with Chairman? Why do we need to change it to the clunky unnatural sounding Chairperson for example? Yeah I get the actual chair might be a woman, but woman and women have man and men in them, so big bloody deal. Let it be a language hold over like calling a judge "your honour"

Oh another that really irks me, if the flight attendant thing, there were already perfectly acceptable English words for those jobs, Steward and Stewardess, what the hell was wrong with them? And while I'm on the subject of jobs, you're not an auto repair technician, you're a mechanic, there are perfectly good words that people refuse to use for stupid reasons.

It's one thing, for example, to change a phrase from something like "retarded" to "developmentally challenged" (though to be fair they mean pretty much the same thing, one just has a long history of use as an insult as well), but come-on there is a thing as going too far; just look at that LA ordnance that wanted to change how hard drive jumpers were labelled, it took an issue with "master" and "slave". ( http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp )
Going to agree with you. There's a lot of "politically corrected" titles that were really just changed to make them sound more important. What's that phrase? "Never underestimate the power of carefully worded nonsense." In short, "bullshit."

The reality of it is it shouldn't fucking matter. I have no time to waste on people that may be offended by the things I say. If they didn't like it, no one forced them to listen. I should also mention that the offensive things I say are 99% always jokes. I like off-color flat-out wrong humor.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
I disagree with your point that people who bash PC are jerks. I for one hate PC because the only examples I see are people walking on eggshells because something they say or do MAY offend someone (Isn't that what PC is; Being as inoffensive to as many people as possible?). Like changing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" to "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep" just because of a [i/]perceived[/i] racial connection. And what about when PC itself becomes insulting? My black friend gets called an African-American because of his skin color but he gets ticked at that because he views himself as an American, period.

Oh, well. Maybe it's because I'm a Caucasian male, so my opinions don't seem to matter to PC people. You want proof of that, just go look at the ethnicity options on a job application. They're Hispanic, Asian, African-American, Native American, White, or Other. Seems to me that some PC people would have called that out by now.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
samus17 said:
Not bad, but I don't remember the resident evil 5 racism scandal being quite like how you portray it. I'm pretty sure the complaints were "whitey killing blacks" and not "misuse of tribal imagery" But hey, I could be wrong.

Edit: Before the MovieBob defense force comes to crucify me, here's a quote from a group of the complainer's since the original article has been taken down.
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-critical-of-resident-evil-5-trailer
I'm not crucifying anyone (yet), but I do remember the RE5 scandal and it involved the scene where the blonde white chick at the beginning, where she had her hair pulled by a zombie and then she was transformed into a zombie herself.

I don't remember the "outrage" of the tribal misuse, heck, even I didn't think it was racist, it was pretty good in the context of the story, of a powerful tribal village being slowly corrupted by a huge corporation, I even consider the tribal parts my favorite of the entire game, as they are much, much challenging and varied than the regular villagers at the beginning.

I think Bob just made that part, but I understand where he was getting at, even if it was a little rant he just made up all by himself.

DutchAssassin8

Mar 11, 2010
Nice vid. Right and nice examples as usual.
Does any-one know the dude from the Thor-movie and wich role he plays?

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Way too much self-righteous rants, not nearly enough information and context (especially regarding relevance to escapism). You could also try to show both sides (even if only to show how the other side is wrong) rather than just name-calling and hyperbole. Paints with a huuuuge brush, and also seems to suggest all instances of insensitivity are equally damning, which I don't think is fair.

I don't know, while I rely on Moviebob's film reviews regularly, I'm not taking much from any of his "The Big Picture" videos. Most of the time you could sum it up in a single sentence and spare me the self-indulgent tangential stuff. My favorite part was actually in the beginning, when he described political correctness as a kind of anti-concept, a phrase whose usage really just includes 'being nice.' It's because it was informative and interesting. While I'm sure the rest of the video was fun for those equally self-righteous and seeking validation, for me it was a boring waste of time. And a bit like watching a crazy person yell at random people on the street, because he worked himself up so much he was absolutely frothing at the mouth. But he gave basically no justification for this whatsoever.

EDIT: And I can't believe he would go so far as to obfuscate the difference between not supporting any one instance of political correctness and the use of offensive racial stereotypes and even sexual harassment! I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for this. It's just too dishonest to ignore and it's been bugging me for hours. He may as well have just said, "If you don't believe the male sex drive is responsible for 9/11, you're a white supremacist." I mean, why not?

D.Strormer

Oct 22, 2008
The only thing I want to say is that while I do agree with a good portion of this I also would like to point out that there are people abusing the politically correct shield on the opposite side as well, flinging the concept at anyone who lays claim to an opinion in direct opposition to their own. Yes, generally speaking, people bring out the term to defend uninformed statements concerning so-called "hot button" issues, but please do not discount the people who claim their opinion is fact and then labeling any counter-argument as politically incorrect so as to discount their opponents, with varying degrees of accuracy. A perfect example is RE4 and 5. There were those individuals that were claiming the very valid arguments that Bob brought up this week, but let us not forget the people who used it as an opportunity to make themselves appear as the victims of some strange white superiority conspiracy using video games to teach children that African and Spanish people are dangerous. After having three games (not counting the multitudes of spin-offs) set in white American suburbia I think we can safely assume Capcom is not supporting racism, they're just not terribly good at their portrayals of other cultures, but then seeing as Disney recently made a princess movie to provide an African-descent heroine and decided to make a southern Louisiana woman fend off a VooDoo priest, let's go ahead and say that large companies may have this problem on epidemic proportions.
In either case, I'm Strormer, and that's a somewhat smaller picture.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Now, I'm a bit bothered by this Bob, because my complaints against the PC movement aren't anywhere addressed in this. The obnoxious minority (or so you claim them to be) who do shit like censure Huck Finn I argue against regularly and it's some small reassurance that you find their position indefensible, but my primary problem with the PC movement is that the majority of what they do is fucking pointless. It's founded on this bizarre and completely flawed notion that you can change what people mean just by changing the words people use. This is bullshit.
I know of old people who still use the term negro to describe black people because it was the term they were raised to use. They don't use it in a negative way and are not racist, it's just the word they're used to using, but they get called racist frequently. On the other hand, I've come across complete and utter assholes who use the term African-American with as much hate and bile as a KKK member saying the dreaded N-word.
Furthermore, while the PC movement may have good intentions at heart, they aren't actually doing anything truly effective. The image of tribal Africa is still grotesquely inaccurate in the minds of most Americans. When we think of Africa, a lot of people still tend to think of jabbering black people in loincloths dancing wildly around fires, despite this having absolutely nothing in common with any African tribe that I know of (and I know of quite a few). Instead of actually working to correct these misunderstandings, the PC movement has just tried to change the language people use. Instead of saying primitive when we describe our image of African tribes, we use words like "Ethnic" or "Cultural" but the image in our mind is still primitive and it's still incorrect.
Rather than focusing on just changing the words we use in every day language, the movement should be focusing on actually teaching the complexities of diverse cultures and correcting our mistaken ideas. This is something I've almost never seen anyone associated with the PC movement actually do.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
SomethingAmazing said:
Sartan0 said:
SomethingAmazing said:
Hey, at least when I say that religion is harmful I retreat to things like facts and logic. Not the political correctness argument.
Like most broad statements that is less then helpful.
I wouldn't make the broad statement if it didn't apply to ALL religion. :)
Well you have a right to your opinion but stating that all religions are harmful on the whole is quite a claim. I would be willing to concede that all religions can be harmful when misused for political or other purposes but I would not claim they had no positive value as your broad statement implies. Another thing to recall is that someones religion or lack of one is a personal choice. I don't really see why everyone has to make the same one.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Thank you! Totally agree, and I'm and glad you adressed this.

I still think the term can be used in a non-annoying way, such as describing different kinds of humour.

My favorite kind of people in the media right now are the very few that raises questions that are interesting and thought-provoking and are politically incorrect and does it without trying to protect themselves with the "you're just PC" shield.

kfwanderer

Oct 1, 2008
I really liked this week's episode. Not because I agreed with everything, but just because Bob took time to express his viewpoints on a subject that's a guaranteed button-pusher for a lot of people. That takes courage and a resounding belief in your stance, which is something not seen often in public speakers.

That said, it did get a little militant in certain parts, and expressing your own viewpoint as cold hard fact is usually not the most enlightened view to take. In subjects where perspective and opinion play large roles in deciding what views are valid and which are not, there aren't many actual facts to state.

Case in point: Resident Evil 5. How do you place a game in those parts of Africa without causing controversy? Answer: You don't. Capcom did it anyway, and in that I applaud them. Backing away from controversy isn't a mature answer, either. Did they go too far by taking certain stereotypes and highlighting them? Answer: That's up to each and every viewer. Personally, I think they did. But if you don't, your answer is no less valid than mine.

That's my take, anyway. Some people won't like it, and that's completely their right.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
samus17 said:
Not bad, but I don't remember the resident evil 5 racism scandal being quite like how you portray it. I'm pretty sure the complaints were "whitey killing blacks" and not "misuse of tribal imagery" But hey, I could be wrong.

Edit: Before the MovieBob defense force comes to crucify me, here's a quote from a group of the complainer's since the original article has been taken down.
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-critical-of-resident-evil-5-trailer
I remember hearing it both ways. The bigger and more publicized angle was certainly the "white guy killing all the black people" side but there was definitely talk about the things Bob mentioned. I know G4 specifically mentioned this on several occasions.

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
HankMan said:
Seemed a little more aggravated than usual this week Bob.
I'm pretty sure changing stories and characters to reflect times that the stories aren't set in or adding races that simply weren't there IS political correctness. But otherwise spot on.
I kind of see it more as recognizing great talent over a minor detail. Sure they're supposed to be Norse gods and I can see that point of view as well but, if someone who does not meet the ethnicity but in inarguably better for the plot in the minds of the casting people then that's just rewarding talent.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
se7ensenses said:
Every single comedian he mentioned at the end of the video are the GREATEST COMEDIANS EVER (except Sam lol) Nice shoutout! Kudos Bob!
...and George Carlin just happens to be my patron saint. (Probably the patron saint of several people here too.)

I definitely agree with you, Bob. I think we need to show those who are trying to be Politically Correct, Politically Incorrect, or what have you just what they ARE trying to do and why we don't buy it.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
You don't have the right to not be offended.

Also I'm still upset they made Nick Fury Black. Not because I'm rascist but because in every subsequent adaption of Nick Fury he will now be black. I just feel that it is disingenuous to the past Nick Fury and when a new generation of comic book readers that came out of watching the cartoons look on old nick fury they will go: "WHO THE HELL IS THIS GUY?"

Just take a look at what happened with people who only watched the Justice League cartoon watched the new Green Lantern trailer. All i heard from them is "why isn't he black?"

Although they could have been trolls.