The Big Picture: Correctitude

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
I'm not sure I understood this one, only that don't defend you being a jerk with
"oh its free speech" :/

happyelf

Feb 24, 2010
wd bob
now if you could only extend your enlightened view to starving children in other countries
PS: team amerca was just the south park guys being jackasses

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
Hmm. Can't say I agree with everything that was said here. Think its a rather one sided take on the subject. Not balanced at all.

MoD1212

Feb 2, 2010
Im all down for the general idea behind "pc". people treating each other with respect is never a bad thing.
showing respect and everyone walking on eggshells however is two different things,

for example my one main gripe with being pc is that im a black kid
I was born in the States and my parents are from the Carribean nothing about my direct family line links me to Africa so.. y the fuck am i a African American now? Can't i just be a black kid or better yet just an American?

Solivagus

Dec 2, 2008
A lot of good points in this video, but free speech is free speech. Most of the time it's easy to determine when someone is being a jerk or hateful or purposefully offensive. Other times, people take offence for the sake of it. The beauty of free speech is that you can offend and be offended.

Great North

Feb 3, 2010
My reaction after watching this video once: "Wait, what?"

My reaction after watching this video twice: "Oh. Yeah, of course."

neuromantic

May 4, 2009
Wow.... 730 comments. I was expecting your "Nerd Gods" video to have more comments than this, but I guess it's an important issue.

I know you're far too busy to actually have time to read 21 pages of comments, but if you ever do read this - this was a bloody amazing show and I feel compelled to keep it bookmarked so I have a good stream of quotes to use if I ever run into one of those "It's Political Correctness GONE MAD!" people who make my blood boil.

I gotta salute you for taking a stand and saying what you think - granted, you do that several times a week but it's not often that I agree with you quite as much as I do with this one!

I hope the majority of these 21 pages are praise and not asshattery, but I'm not gonna find out, I'm gonna use that time to watch more Big Picture...... Love and light be with you!

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
took me a minute to figure out you were talking about political correctness and not about jerks who troll us mac users with their big fancy pc knowledge.

and hey, jeff dunham is funny.

i think your concept of what it political incorrectness is a liiiiittle bit skewed, just a little.
mel brooks isn't being politically incorrect, he's making sarcastic comments on sterotypes. george carlen did the same thing, he only comments on what's there.

first, the word political. are we talking about politics? no, we're talking about correctness on sensitive issues, but there's nothing we can do to change that so whatever.

politically incorrect is when anyone who pisses someone off for being wrong about a sensitive issue, like if i said 'pete manning is a jew'. this is incorrect and would offend a mighty amount of people. now if i said 'everything is made in china' first, who'd disagree? second, it's very common to find things made in china so saying 'everything is made in china' sounds just about right. and if you show me something made in switzerland i will shoot you in the face and call you a troll.

racist jokes are funny because they comment on something that's there, like sterotypes. sterotypes exist for a reason; because there's a very common trait. i.e. all nerds read comic books, sounds right. all black people eat fried chicken, it's offensive but i can say there is a trend. all people from new jersey are like the people on jersey shore, aren't they? give them money and they are

so when someone makes a black joke, they're not being incorrect, they're just pointing out what's there (unless they say something crazy like all black people can speak 3 languages, that's just silly and incorrect).

make sense? good. now stop ripping on the 90's, green day was and is the shit

NOOOB1

Dec 6, 2010
JimHawking said:
Half of what Bob said was right the other half was frankly pretty stupid.

-People using anti-political correctness as a shield, yeah screw them.

-People going WAY out of their way to avoid being "offensive" can be very annoying. For example, the insistence that the the phrase Arab terrorists is somehow offensive drives me a bit crazy.

No offense Bob you clearly don't have a very good grip on politics, your doing what bad comedians do. Most comedians can't do competent political commentary and confuse preaching an ideology (typically liberal) with wit. Stick to geekdom, you actually have something interesting to say about that.
actually, "Arab terrorists" is an offensive term if you use it to apply to all acts of terrorism. It insinuates that all terrorists are Arab, which is far from the truth. Terrorism is a tactic, not a type of person. If the term was used to describe a specific terrorist attack where the terrorists were of Arab descent, then it would be appropriate. That's not being PC, that is getting your facts straight.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
SilverUchiha said:
BmoreAkuma said:
SilverUchiha said:
BmoreAkuma said:
That argument is like saying calling a black the n word or calling a gay male the F word then have the nerve to say "it's only words dont give them power"
And that is an argument I would completely agree with. Why do we let words like "******" or "******" have power over us to be "forbidden words"? Why can't we change the meaning? Surely they can be used in a different way. Hell, the guys from South Park tried using "******" as an alternative for "douchey jerks who ride Harleys". If there is genuine hatred behind the words, then there is more to it. But if not, they are just words and nothing more.
That is an ideal fantasy when comes "words and their meaning" If that is the case then what is the point of a dictionary? Why not just change all words in human language with different meaning then it would lead to confusion on the person "intent" or "meaning"
Not trying to confuse people. Just trying to make the world better. Why let bad words always remain bad? Why not revise and improve them? What is the point of the fucking dictionary? What is the point of words (aside from communication)? What I'm getting at is who arbitrarily decided to give words whatever meaning they have? People are always saying that the declaration of independence should be revised as the language is outdated and should be updated to meet with the language and technology of today. Why can't that same logic apply to all words? I honestly think you are just closed minded on such an issue that has such a simple fix.
*facepalm*
Would it be politically incorrect for me to assume you're a straight white male from a well-off nation?
Because, y'know, this is starting to become a meme.

JimHawking

Jan 18, 2010
@NOOOB1

This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Arab Terrorists" as a phrase means "terrorists who are Arab" and nothing else. You had to do a bunch of linguistic gymnastics to make that offensive. So if I said "Irish Terrorists" in reference to the 1980's IRA that would be offensive to ALL Irish people? What the hell are you talking about? People like you are extremely annoying.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
mr_rubino said:
SilverUchiha said:
BmoreAkuma said:
SilverUchiha said:
BmoreAkuma said:
That argument is like saying calling a black the n word or calling a gay male the F word then have the nerve to say "it's only words dont give them power"
And that is an argument I would completely agree with. Why do we let words like "******" or "******" have power over us to be "forbidden words"? Why can't we change the meaning? Surely they can be used in a different way. Hell, the guys from South Park tried using "******" as an alternative for "douchey jerks who ride Harleys". If there is genuine hatred behind the words, then there is more to it. But if not, they are just words and nothing more.
That is an ideal fantasy when comes "words and their meaning" If that is the case then what is the point of a dictionary? Why not just change all words in human language with different meaning then it would lead to confusion on the person "intent" or "meaning"
Not trying to confuse people. Just trying to make the world better. Why let bad words always remain bad? Why not revise and improve them? What is the point of the fucking dictionary? What is the point of words (aside from communication)? What I'm getting at is who arbitrarily decided to give words whatever meaning they have? People are always saying that the declaration of independence should be revised as the language is outdated and should be updated to meet with the language and technology of today. Why can't that same logic apply to all words? I honestly think you are just closed minded on such an issue that has such a simple fix.
*facepalm*
Would it be politically incorrect for me to assume you're a straight white male from a well-off nation?
Because, y'know, this is starting to become a meme.
Does it really matter if it's politically incorrect or not?

NOOOB1

Dec 6, 2010
JimHawking said:
@NOOOB1

This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Arab Terrorists" as a phrase means "terrorists who are Arab" and nothing else. You had to do a bunch of linguistic gymnastics to make that offensive. So if I said "Irish Terrorists" in reference to the 1980's IRA that would be offensive to ALL Irish people? What the hell are you talking about? People like you are extremely annoying.
people like you are really stupid if you think that required "gymnastics". A lot of people make sweeping generalizations about Arab people and come to these same conclusions. You would have to be naive or willfully ignorant to claim otherwise.

0thello

Apr 2, 2009
Wow Bob you actually know what pissed off people whom were concerned about RE5 (such as myself). I'm actually surprised. Most folks are either in denial, confrontational or far too ignorant to get it but good job.

As for the anti-PC group, self-righteous bigotry is about the best I can expect, I don't even bother with them anymore.

0thello

Apr 2, 2009
Father Time said:
Zero V85 said:
Shadow_Kid said:
DPunch4 said:
I don't agree with everything you said. I don't want a black person taking a white persons role in any remake. Unless it's re-imagining the whole movie. You wouldn't cast a white kid as Michael Jackson when hew was 8.
Have you seen Shawshank Redemption?
Morgan Freeman plays Red - redheaded irishmen. I dare you to say that movie was not awesome.
I agree that Shawshank was a great movie but that kind if thing is a one way street. It's fine to turn a white character in a book into a black character in a movie but I dare you to show me an example of the reverse. I grantee the ACLU would have that movie shut down for being raciest and insensitive if it ever got put into production in the first place.
You are a cretin.

Nicholas Cage in the film "World Trade Center".

Angelina Jolie plays "Mariane Pearl" in A Mighty Heart

Do I even have to go to all the films about Ancient Egypt? Or through David Caradenes career of yellowface cinema?

You need to go do your f***ing research son.

0thello

Apr 2, 2009
Father Time said:
0thello said:
Father Time said:
Zero V85 said:
Shadow_Kid said:
DPunch4 said:
I don't agree with everything you said. I don't want a black person taking a white persons role in any remake. Unless it's re-imagining the whole movie. You wouldn't cast a white kid as Michael Jackson when hew was 8.
Have you seen Shawshank Redemption?
Morgan Freeman plays Red - redheaded irishmen. I dare you to say that movie was not awesome.
I agree that Shawshank was a great movie but that kind if thing is a one way street. It's fine to turn a white character in a book into a black character in a movie but I dare you to show me an example of the reverse. I grantee the ACLU would have that movie shut down for being raciest and insensitive if it ever got put into production in the first place.
You are a cretin.

Nicholas Cage in the film "World Trade Center".

Angelina Jolie plays "Mariane Pearl" in A Mighty Heart

Do I even have to go to all the films about Ancient Egypt? Or through David Caradenes career of yellowface cinema?

You need to go do your f***ing research son.
'

You quoted the wrong guy.
And for that you have my apologies.