The Big Picture: Do the Mario! (Again)

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i dont care what anyone says, even though the mario brothers movie was a train wreck it was still probably one of the more faithful game to movie adaptations

Vyce

Chaos Dragon
Mar 19, 2009
So... In other words the Strange Anime version of Luigi was Wario. I wonder if that movie had anything to do with Wario.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Arizona Kyle said:
GeorgW said:
WTF happened at 5:09??
Wow, I never heard about this, that's epic! It actually looks like a good movie, better that the other one you told us about at least. I'd love to see it, with subtitles of course, anybody know where I could find it?
I have such a verson ^_^
And where do you live, so that I might steal it?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I like the sound of the ending. It fits nicely with the normal slacker-turn-hero sort of slapstick ending where they never really manage to achieve anything, but hey water under a bridge, what can you do, get on with life sort of thing.

It's like you never really want the Chuckle Brothers to win, you just don't want them to lose either

EDIT: I figured it out, it's the plot of every Neil Gaiman book every written (spoilers!). The hero sets his affection on a woman he knows nothing about really and has no reason to set his affection on. He goes on his journey and at the end of his journey he's grown as a character and he comes to terms with the fact that his affection was made during his naive days and he'll just deal with the world as it is, aided by the experience of his adventures.

Other times it's a promotion that they never receive but realise that the promotion is petty compared to the big picture/they have the skills to leave and achieve success in other ways.

It's like a shifted coming of age story. The story ends with the character leaving his childhood behind and 'now the real journey begins'

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Some of the animation looks pretty spot on for the later look of the characters (Bowser, some of the monsters), which is rather odd.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
That cartoon looked kind of surreal... but it also looked like the most faithful film-adaption of the Mario series. I mean, it had the classic "Bowser kidnapping Peach" Plot, the classic enemies, the power-ups, even most of the character looked pretty much like they are supposed to look. I mean, the Mario plot is silly as hell but they did a good job of adapting it. It was closer to the games than the TV-Show or the movie.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
As a non Mario fan, who hasn't even passed the second level on the first Mario, I think this anime looks pretty cool. It's astounding how far they went with just a few pixels worth of inspiration. Princess coming out of the TV screen? Holy cow. Plus the dog-prince thing is just awesome if you think about it... Now I'm off to look for the movie. Thanks Bob.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
hurricanejbb said:
Hungry Donner said:
Considering the work of Gainax I can only hope these people usually aren't sober.
You should watch Paranoia Agent and Paprika... there's no way those were made by sober people.
Episode 25 and 26 of Evangelion...

they didn't run out of budget... they spent it all on military grade PCP.
Does any one else think that the idea of 'military grade PCP' is terrifying.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
daxterx2005 said:
I know it wasn't inculded in the clip, but is this the same movie where mario is born from a peach floating down the river?
If anyone can answer me I'd appreciate it.
That's probably the one where Mario is Momotaro. There were like 2-3 fairy tale OVAs starring Mario. (According to the inter-net, the others were Snow White starring Peach and a Thumbelina-type Japanese fairy tale.)

EDIT: According also to the Inter-net, Kibidango is a dumpling. Momotaro was all about peaches and kibidangos. Maybe Mario really has been Momotaro all this time.

Faerillis

Oct 29, 2009
Hey Bob, can we expect a Big Picture episode about these nutjob apocalyptic predictions next Tuesday?

BlackWolf100

Oct 15, 2010
i know this may annoy you to death by now for me saying it, sir. but could you inlightin of how come the girl in mario being kepnapted always seem to be the same plot for the past 25 years? and will thay ever get to amit that prineses was really having a relationship with bowser?

its been a thought for many fans now on if she been going out with bowser instead of mario.

otherwise i would say if thairs any hope of nintendo making prinesses a more 3 dimentonal character. it feels like thay haven't updated the story and the prinesses for years now.
and since with all new mario games out now it should be no reson why thay haven't yet.

any questions let me know and my apolages for the poor grammer alittle.

thank you for reading

magicringgirl

Apr 17, 2009
Thanks for giving an over view of this Bob! I had found this anime forever ago and was interested to watch it. I was just getting into anime and a huge Nintendo fan. However, the fatal glitch, I don't know a word of Japanese and so it had been forgotten, until now. So thank you for satisfying my nerdy curiosity!

Oh and Keep up the great episodes! I love watching both the Big Picture and your Movie channel!

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Man...first time in my life I've heard of this...prince guy (At first I swore it was another princess for Luigi or something) and I already hate him. They don't even make a cute couple! Geez, if I felt bad before for Mario who goes around chasing after the princess world after world, year after year, now I feel way worse.
The anime looks okay. I mean, the plot seems to make a lot more sense than the US cartoon. It was also better animated and the characters didn't look as anime-like as you'd expect (Huge eyes, weird body shapes, perfect hair, etc).
Yeah, the movie was waaaay worse. So...I'm just glad Mario and company are sticking to video games nowadays.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
It seems Mario has suffered the same fate Mickey Mouse has over the years, going from interesting, flawed, and somewhat deranged characters to standard run of the mill protagonists. I have to say I like this Luigi a lot more than standard Luigi (though maybe not as much as TWBB Luigi).

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
Can someone tell me why people hate the live-action Super Mario Bros. movie? I was a kid when I saw it and I thought it was pretty good!