The Big Picture: Do the Mario!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Do the Mario!

You may say the Super Mario Bros. show was embarrassingly cheesy, but MovieBob says otherwise.

Watch Video

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
I was too young to remember much of the details about the show, but that theme still brings a smile to my face.

the.writer

Jan 18, 2011
Another good post Bob. Even with all the flack those shows get...especially the Zelda cartoon, I remember running home every Friday after school so that I didn't miss a second of any of the episodes. What better way to start a weekend of playing Zelda than with its own cartoon show!? Ah, good times.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
It does bring back memories. I didn't realize the show had that short of a run. I mainly remember getting teased in school because my last name rhymes with "Paisano" so everyone kept yelling that out at me. I wonder if in our pussy society if that would constitute bullying.

On a somewhat related topic, the AVGN looked at one of these DVDs recently and found a messed up DVD Menu system for these. Basically Inspector Gadget (voiced by someone who clearly is NOT the original, which makes sense since he's dead) teaches you how to use a DVD menu system. It's quite amusing and a quick way to kill around 10 minutes.

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/04/01/super-mario-bros-super-show-dvd-menu-screen-review/

pubesz

May 20, 2009
Wow! I remember seeing the Mario Super Show (without Zelda) here in Europe on some German TV station (RTL or Pro7 possibly) about 16-17 years ago, alongside with the Megaman cartoon series. Thanks Bob! This brings back some memories.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
I was born in 1986. I got an NES for my 3rd birthday. You bet your ass I was raised on this show. And this hit my nostalgia bone, hard.

Didn't like the Zelda series, though.

Also, RIP Lou Albino.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
It's not hard to find a Peach X Daisy picture

just saying

He's right Google image search Peach and Daisy with the filter off and the third image you get falls into that category.

It kind of sucks I was to young to watch these shows (being 1 and 2 at the time) I grew up on the SNES (that I got for my 5th birthday in 94) and missed out on almost all of the 80's Nintendo craze, what I did get was that 93 Mario bros movie which sadly I liked at the time.
Even sadder I didn't experience The Legend of Zelda till the N64 with Ocarina of Time and I didn't play any of the Pre-OoT games till my teenage years.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Is this at least partially in response to Extra Credits' comment on Link's personality in that show? Just askin'.

On another note: Ernie Hudson C list?!? You shut your face!!!

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Huh... Second time in a row I get the feeling I'm watching a show from thatguywiththeglasses.com.

Also, I remember seeing that show a long time ago and even then I thought it was crap.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
This makes me wish that I still had a working VHS player. I still have some episodes of the super show on tape somewhere...

rayen020

May 20, 2009
my kids have been watching it on netflix recently. It's corny as hell but in a good way. and disregtarding all the mario games afterwards that did story better is what you would logically get from the first two games. I dunno if C-list celebreties is completely accurate a couple of times they had people who were a-list (or i'm just remembering wrong and they got big after guest starring...).

Also it's so politically incorrect by todays standards it's hilirious. There is actually one episode where mario is captured by king koopa and waterboarded. No i am not kidding. really waterboarded. like at gitmo. just sayin.

mac88

Oct 4, 2010
My son was watching this on Netflix the other day. I was instantly seven years old again. If anyone remembers these shows and has streaming Netflix, give it a watch and hop on to the way-back machine.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Interesting episode; I can honestly say I never would have guessed the Super Mario Brothers Super Show would ever be the topic of The Big Picture. And what? No shout-out to Club Mario (the show that came after SMBSS)?

The show didn't hold up too well for me, but my six-year-old nephew loves it, and watches it on Netflix every time he's over.