The Big Picture: Do the Mario!

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Justanothergamer300 said:
When you started talking about video game cartoons first thing to pop in my head was

No disrespect mario I liked sonic more back then
Was that the cheaply done one on the Family channel? Or the more hardcore version they used to have on ABC on Saturday mornings? (Looks like the cheap one.) I loved both shows. I just looked at the cheap one as a tide-me-over until I could watch the "good" one on Saturday. I just remember that rabbit chick from the "good" show that was partially transformed into a robot...damn T.V. You scary!

Geminel

Mar 29, 2009
Great segment. I don't watch often, but I enjoyed the memories.

Kind of suprised a 'Movie Bob' doing a movie webcast would do a full segment on the Super Mario tv show and not give any mention about the aweful Super Mario Brothers movie that came out in the early 90's.

Oisin XD

Oct 15, 2009
Hella' yeah! I loved this show when I was a kid. You would always see these silhouettes of feet out the little window up at the top of the room when someone was about to come inside. Really badly done, of course.

I still make fun of the song with some of my friends, even these days.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
The live action portion of this show was easily the most memorable part for me. I only ever saw a couple episodes (for some reason I could only watch it at my friend's house??), but those are the parts that stuck with me to this day. So ridiculous.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
HankMan said:
I'll give them the full version Bob
<youtube=65uNCLBTje0>
The best part's the end when he jumps out showbiz style and loses his right footing ever so slightly and re-corrects it. Watch just the end

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
This show was GREAT! I still remember a bunch of episodes from when I was....uh...hell, I dunno, maybe eight? I loved this show.

Zelda show? Not so much.

Korne

Nov 30, 2009
This show was laughingly bad. I remember how the colors would change randomly, and lets just say that I never did the Mario. I wasn't really a fan of the Zelda show either, but it was a lot better.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, it's things like this that cause me to miss the late 1980s actually. It was a time when everything was developing, technology was on the rise but not omni-present, and things could still get away with being loud, cheezy, and fun without having to be some kind of ironic parody.

Sure, the quality is lacking compared today, especially when you look at one of my favorite series from the time period "Friday The 13th The Series" (bad acting, dubious special effects, and widely varied quality in plotlines), but I think there is a certain magic to
the 1980s that has died out.

Right now, cynical self awareness and fear of ridicule has kind of made it so your not going to see the same kinds of production, fashion, or whatever else.

Not meaning to put too much of the "glow of never was" on it, but it's good to see someone who can admit to fond memories of something from the time period, and point to it's strengths rather than simply engaging in outright mockery... though admittedly a LOT of things from the time period admittedly do deserve the mockery that they get.

Yarkaz

Aug 22, 2009
Mister Benoit said:
Selvec said:
I suppose I should be greatful your not trying to defend THAT Sonic Cartoon...you know the one I mean...

Luckily such memories where replaced quickly by the mid-late ninties cartoons.

Ohhhh Talespin!
I actually highly enjoyed the Chilli Dog Series yet despised the one that was darker and had a ton of furries.

I enjoyed the simple relationship between Sonic/Tails & Robotnic/2 Robots.
Dude, how come everyone ignores that series nowadays? I recall an article on the Escapist a while back claiming to discuss all the Sonic cartoons a while back, and this one didn't even get a mention. That was my favorite show for a while too, as a kid...

diablomaki

Jul 17, 2009
they just dont make cartoons like they used to
that and i dont enjoy cartoons like i used to
that and im much more judge-mental than i used to be
meh still brings back memories

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
I genuinely applauded Bob's view of Zelda herself in the cartoon, as it doesn't get addressed enough.
I mean, say what you will about the show, this is probably the best depiction of the princess, period. Tetra from Wind Waker is a close second, and Zelda as she's portrayed in Twilight Princess holds a special place in my heart, but the Zelda of the cartoon remains about the one part of the show that's aged well and stands almost superior to the simple "damsel in distress/macguffin" of most of the games.
(raises drink) Bob, this one's for you.

Murray Kitson

Mar 8, 2011
i remember watching the mario show as a kid, but link had a weird attitude problem in the show. "excuuuuse me" really gets under my skin and even as a child, i wanted to punch him in the nose. i much preferred the voiceless Link from Ocarina of Time.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
MovieBob is now my favorite show on the Escapist. OTL

I was only born in 1995, but I'm a sucker for old cartoons... I adore SMBSS and I never understood why it got so much hate. It does make good Youtube Poop material though...

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Adam28 said:
Whenever I hear "Do the Mario", I just think of this song;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZUHNvFubg

Sorry, don't know to embed YouTube clips.

Anyway, I have seen a clip of this Mario Show on YouTube but that is it, didn't know anything about it.
Was that Husky Starcraft as donkey kong? lol.

Calderon0311

May 9, 2009
Wait, there was another Mario show that was never released here? And it's more traditional looking anime?

MY WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN A LIE!