The Big Picture: Dog, Gone

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
One of my friends posted Brian's death on Facebook yesterday. I didn't believe it, so I went and watched the clip. Naturally, after that I came straight here expecting to see something about it. I check the stories, I checked the videos, I checked the forums. There was nothing. I thought, "So is this not as big a deal as I thought it was?"
Glad to see that Movie Bob did a video on it today. :)

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
SnakeoilSage said:
Now if Family Guy had taken the bold step of offing Peter Griffin, a character who has come to more or less exemplify everything I find annoying with the animated sitcom, being an abusive, neglectful, pants-crappingly stupid bull in a china shop who we're expected to somehow relate to and cheer for while he's treating his wife, children and basically everyone around him like shit and not being called to account for it, I might care enough to keep an eye on this. As it is, I just don't care.
I was kinda hoping they'd kill off Peter as well, and pull what they did with Brian and replace him before the end of the episode, if for nothing else but to make a point out utterly devoid of value as characters and replaceable sitcom fathers really are.

Deathfish15 said:
TechTim said:
Stew's gonna clone him and make it all better y'all can relax
The only two times Stewie did cloning: 1) the clones melted after a period of time (24hrs?) and 2) it was an accident that caused him to make an "evil Stewie" that cut off Brian's tail and shoved it down his throat.

So, it's possible he could do it if he's gotten the kinks out. But as it stands right now, he's not perfected cloning just yet...
You left out the good luck/bad luck clones from the transporter accident in the Vegas episode.

The irony being that "lucky" Brian and "unlucky" Stewie were the survivors of the episode. Apparently that luck didn't stick too long... =/

iompku

Jan 1, 2012
Haven't seen the Family Guy Episode yet...

Title on this is "Dog, Gone", picture of Brian with 1999-2013
First few seconds are warning of spoiler if you haven't watched the episode yet.

Not that this matters much, since it's just a TV show and all. But if you're going to put forth the effort to put in spoiler warnings, could you not include the spoiler in the unavoidable title that gets put on the front page and everything?

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
ForumSafari said:
Muspelheim said:
Furthermore, replacing the dog with... Another dog doesn't sound like such a hot idea. It just makes it all rather meaningless, doesn't it?
That's what you do though isn't it? Your dog dies so you get another dog.
Yes, that's true, but not in the same way I'd replace a burnt-out lightbulb. Admittedly, I'm not sure of how long it took for the Griffonian household to go through the grief process and deciding that they needed a successor, but it did feel like Brian I had barely cooled in the casket before Briáno II came aboard.

Habballah

Sep 25, 2013
Hm didn't know about this. thanks for the heads up.
I watch family guy on watch cartoons.com and i think their up dates are a bit behind,

it's just something to watch on my driod when i'm on the go and have some time to kill.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
testiou said:
WTF... Spoiler in the f*cking title.

thanks...
It means absolutely nothing to someone who hasn't seen the show. "Thanks" nothing, you'd already heard the news/seen the show.

If I saw that title before knowing what happened, I'd have assumed that Brian left for a while, not what actually happened.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I find it funny how in a show where main characters have head their heads crushed by logs, faces ripped off, and all other violence and such, being hit by a car is the way Brian goes out.

I doubt it will last long, really, and even if it does, I don't really care. I grew annoyed with Brian in the newer seasons.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I guess its worth doing something interesting in Family Guy. Anymore the jokes they use seem very dull and simple and they have been done many a time before. When I was 12 I would have enjoyed it, but now a days, it wears thin quickly. I usually turn the TV off after I have a Burger...

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
This is either a desperate attempt to get viewers back tired of their formula, or this is another screw at the audience modern Family Guy is known for (the execution seems to imply this). In either case: the shark has been thoroughly jumped. I'm quite beyond caring.

Let.
It.
Die.

edit- oddly this is the first new Family Guy I ended up watching. I was having it on for noise and it followed a particularly dreadful Simpsons.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
lacktheknack said:
testiou said:

thanks...
It means absolutely nothing to someone who hasn't seen the show. "Thanks" nothing, you'd already heard the news/seen the show.

If I saw that title before knowing what happened, I'd have assumed that Brian left for a while, not what actually happened.
Actually, with all the posts of "what the hell family guy! That's not cool" combined with this, its kind of the first conclusion you make.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dogstile said:
lacktheknack said:
testiou said:

thanks...

Actually, with all the posts of "what the hell family guy! That's not cool" combined with this, its kind of the first conclusion you make.
Well, with luck, they attempted to watch the episode, saw the spoiler warning, and nope'd right out again without stopping
by the comment section.

Plus, most people who care must have found out by now. Heck, I don't like Family Guy and don't watch it, and even I found out before now.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Dogstile said:
lacktheknack said:
testiou said:

thanks...

Well, with luck, they attempted to watch the episode, saw the spoiler warning, and nope'd right out again without stopping
by the comment section.

Plus, most people who care must have found out by now. Heck, I don't like Family Guy and don't watch it, and even I found out before now.
With any luck, just figured i'd point out that I don't even watch the show and I knew from the fuss everyone was making.

Yokta

Mar 23, 2013
I thought Brian died when he snuck into the garbage and ate some chocolate...

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
lacktheknack said:
testiou said:

thanks...

To be fair, it hasn't aired in my country yet, but I'm not a huge fan, so I don't mind the spoiler and this was the first I had heard of it.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
I saw it.
Brian gets hit with his own car.
There's some temporal shenanigans going on.

I'm not even kidding: I haven't seen an episode where Brian drives his Prius (or whatever it is) in a while, but the moment I saw the car that was going to hit him, the first thing that popped into my head was "that's Brian's car." So, regardless of Stewie destroying his time machine, I'm of the mind that there's still time-travelling going on somehow.

We'll have to wait and see, though. I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I'm likely wrong. I just thought it was odd that a.)they looked really similar, and b.)nowhere in the episode did anyone ever express any interest in trying to find the car that hit him, like they didn't want to draw attention to the fact that you don't know who the drive is ('cause it's Brian).

Movitz

Jan 30, 2013
Fuck Brian. I hardly watch the show anymore but I'm glad he's gone. He was nothing else but Seth Macfarlane (surely spelling his surname wrong) putting himself in the show.

That the new pet has Tony Sirico's voice doesn't hurt either.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I haven't watched Family guy in a long while, but I was shocked to hear it. Although, it begs a bit a question.

Bob, why haven't you done something about Edna Crabapple? Her voice actor died. Every Simpsons character mostly represents a certain aspect of our north american society. Edna mostly got the education aspect and someone who's lost her drive because her dreams weren't what she thought it was. To me, that story hit home when I heard about it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I stopped watching this show after they had Brian eat Stewie's shit and lick his ass clean. I almost threw up at the scene. I didn't even finish the episode. Haven't watched a new episode since. By the sounds of it, it's only gone down hill as far as comedy goes.

Anyway, Brian was my favourite character but he really was just turning into a way for Seth to blatantly shove his views in other people's faces. While I actually agree with him on many of his views, Brian was supposed to be the voice of reason who could also be funny. Instead, he turned into Seth's vessel for which he could say: "weed is good, religion is bad."