The Big Picture: Don't Censor Me!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So in other words "Censorship" is another one of those buzzwords that people keep using without actually knowing what they mean. I'll add it to the ever growing list.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Pre Watch: Bobby, do not dare not making this serious month. You did 2 already, now go all tha way.

Post Watch: Yes Chipman, and sometimes someone who's really bad at explaining their points get a megaphone, and then act all surprised that everyone that didn't know the point before, still doesn't know it.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
canadamus_prime said:
So in other words "Censorship" is another one of those buzzwords that people keep using without actually knowing what they mean. I'll add it to the ever growing list.
It has a certain weight and negative aura to it, so its great for making something sound worse than it is.

'she wants game creators to put more thought into how they design and create certain elements' sounds reasonable, and harder to argue with. 'she wants to censor videogames' is much more villainous and much more easier to argue against.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
Put it next to racism.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Alright, Bob. I guess you and I have very different definitions on right and wrong then.

Fair enough.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I wholeheartedly agree with this video but your 30 second long cynical call out of liberals at the beginning is probably only gonna serve to deafen a few ears.

Cpt. Slow said:
canadamus_prime said:
Put it next to racism.
Why would you wanna try and bring the discussion into this?

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Windknight said:
canadamus_prime said:
It has a certain weight and negative aura to it, so its great for making something sound worse than it is.

'she wants game creators to put more thought into how they design and create certain elements' sounds reasonable, and harder to argue with. 'she wants to censor videogames' is much more villainous and much more easier to argue against.
The problem is... when the person making it phrases the point as: "This is bad, games shouldn't do this, because this reinforces negative..." it's didactic, confrontational and puts people on the defensive. (I was having this conversation with a friend of mine last night), saying "Well I think this didn't work, but if they tweaked it a little and gave it a little more thought, it could have been more like... ...and that'd have been awesome."

It's the old carrot and stick metaphor, it's "you catch more flies with..." it's stuff we're taught from a very young age. But then there is of course the problem, no one cares what the well reasoned people think, they don't grab headlines or drive up view counts... and without those, the people saying those things don't get paid (that's not to say their intent is disingenuous, just their presentation). But that's a wider cultural issue.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
josh4president said:
So is it me or is Big Picture basically just Bob's blog now?
What do you mean? This was always Bob's video blob...

Whether he chose to talk about sexism, his love for Sucker Punch or the postcredits scene of the last Marvel movie he saw is still his decision.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Windknight said:
canadamus_prime said:

It certainly invites the metaphorical torches and pitchforks.
BigTuk said:
canadamus_prime said:
Tag it in after Quantum and above Maturity.
Nah I'm ranking it next to "racism", "sexism" etc. just above "rip-off."

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
hermes200 said:
josh4president said:

Whether he chose to talk about sexism, his love for Sucker Punch or the postcredits scene of the last Marvel movie he saw is still his decision.
It's true, look at episode 1, he basically tells us that this was given to him as a soapbox... and that's why sometimes it's easy to feel vitriolic towards how he tackles some subjects. In other words, this is op-ed semi rambling as opposed to movie reviewing, which unless something is jarring or egregious, he's professional enough to leave his personal politics out of it.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
hermes200 said:
josh4president said:

Yeah but at least those kept with the running theme he usually went for - afterall he is 'MovieBob', not 'CensorshipBob', though that sounds more like some bizarro universe version of himself that he probably has over on Game Overthinker.

Also I don't think Bob has a blob. Where would he even put it?

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Yeah, this is what drives me nuts. A better way to say this would be to say that what happened to the Dixie Chicks absolutely was censorship, but that it just wasn't government censorship, and therefore didn't fall under First Amendment protection.

What people like Mr. Chipman here, or Jim Sterling or Anita Sarkeesian are doing is not censorship of any kind?it's media and cultural criticism. The rest of the video actually does explain that, of course, but still ... How about rather than change the meaning of the word "censor" to fit the dopey, single-purpose (and broadly incorrect) usage to which it has fallen prey, we educate people to understand the difference?

Sorry?just had to get that off my chest. Great video, otherwise!

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Really enjoyed the video.

While it may not be censorship, what happened to the Dixie Chicks was really fucking wrong. I guess what I'm saying is, while I agree that it isn't censorship, using power in that way to silence a group whose opinions you disagree with is really fucking wrong.

Trying to silence any group whose opinions you do not agree with is really fucking wrong.

If you're right, then debate. If you aren't, then change your views. No where does silence have to come into play.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
I think that you should have gone for the 90's victory lap and shown all of the fatalities from Mortal Kombat.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
dragonswarrior said:
Really enjoyed the video.
If you're right, then debate. If you aren't, then change your views. No where does silence have to come into play.
Who decides what's "right" and who should change their views then? The problem is, a lot of this isn't as black and white as "I'm right, you're wrong so you change," it's a whole nebulous mess of greys that aren't so much aligned as swirled together into a huge gloopy mass.

Would you trust a single central authority to forever decide what's right or wrong, silence it's nay sayers and make them forcibly change their mind. (oh look, I waved my magic hyperbole wand). No we decide what's right and wrong through discussion and discussion on moral absolutism like this, rarely if ever has an end.