The Big Picture: Enough With The Batman Already!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Enough With The Batman Already!

Maybe we could use a break from Batman.

Watch Video

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Bob mentioned this in one of his Junk Draw episodes, in that we drove Boba Fett and Chuck Norris into the ground, now we're doing the same with Batman... I guess that WAS enough to fill out and episode episode.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Bu-bu-but he's "THE GODDAMNED BATMAN!" - Sorry had to get that out there.
Batman doesn't really matter,like you said.

I'd like to see Hawkgirl :3

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Fun Fact: We have hit the "Peak" with Star Wars like a long time ago, and now this is going to be so much worse...

I'm sort of used to everything being milked long after i lost interest.

So yeah, i also don't need new Batman Movies for at least 5 years. I guess there's not much to be discussed here.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
I just want the Justice League movie to be more than just a remake of the Avengers with different costumes. I don't have high hopes for the new Superman movie, although I am kind of praying that it indeed doesn't suck.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
1) I actually agree with Bob that maybe it is time to put Batman away for awhile and lets try making GOOD (and I emphasis that word) movies for the other characters in the DC canon.

2) I disagree that Batman has nothing to bring to the table. The truth is that in many cases, Batman is capable of doing what the others heroes can't or won't do. Make no mistake, in that little list of super humans Bob rattled off, none of them are a half-decent detective and I wouldn't trust any of them to do any kind of real infiltration. Sorry Bob, but just because you're tired of him doesn't mean he isn't one of the most important parts of the Justice League for more then just "being Batman".

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Since Batman is my favourite superhero due at least in part to how he was the start of my interest in superheroes I could never hit peak Batman. That being said, I agree with MovieBob that Warner Bros needs to focus on other heroes.

I wrote an article a while back (not sure what the rues are on linking to own work but I will skip link to be safe) in which I stated that the success of Man of Steel should be more important to Warner Bros than the successs of the then unreleased Dark Knight Rises.

One of the reason's Marvel is wiping the floor with DC in terms of movies is that their movies are much more consistent in quality which is made more impressive by how much more content its movie studio puts makes than Warner Bros (only speaking about the comic book movies). Warner Bros needs to show that they can make good movies with a character other than Batman if DC wants to have any hope of standing toe to toe with Marvel, a company that has successfully made mainstream audiences aware of characters that they were previously unaware of.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Yes your right bob, but since the only other superhero they tried failed (Green Lantern) I suspect they view Batman as their only card at the moment that they can sell the movie to the public at the moment (Superman is at the moment an unknown and all their other superhero projects are either in development or unreleased).

The result is they have to sell it on Batman because that the only thing the accountants can see as selling.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
T3hSource said:
Bu-bu-but he's "THE GODDAMNED BATMAN!" - Sorry had to get that out there.
And as he said, "I've had enough of the goddamned Batman."

Both definitions of that swear apply in this case.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Here's one immediate, easy way to make Batman new again: Adam West him the fuck up. Make him an archaic, ridiculous symbol of oldschool machismo, bring back the sexy 60s-looking ladies to fawn over and/or catwoman him, give him one of his sillier opponents to fight as a B-plot with waves of implausible goons and make everything as goofy as possible. That sounds like several gallons of fun in my book. Hell, I'll just bet that Jon Hamm would jump at the chance to be Bruce Wayne for pennies on the dollar.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Unfortunately, Bob's complaints will fall on deaf ears, since WB doesn't give a shit about anything besides money, and they're not even all that good at predicting what will make money.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Although Batman is really the only DC hero to interest me, I agree that WB should really pull out a couple of other superhero movies, introducing new characters, before they make another Batman. Maybe even try to make them good this time.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
synobal said:
I'd just like a Batman Beyond movie is that too much to ask?
There is an animated movie of Batman Beyond with the Joker if I'm not mistaken.
Batman Beyond was cool, I'd like it if they gave us back Terry's Batman and applied a few more modern twists and actually used to setting's potential.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Want a different take on the dark knight, in the 1990's Takara and sunrise did just that. When the child of a millionare cuple gets killed, he inherts there locomotive company and desides to fight crime. However since this is the future(and japan, not that's a bad thing) all the criminals use giant robots, so what does he do? He makes a giant robot out of a giant train....and it was awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmm8klRP6Jg

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Sylocat said:
Unfortunately, Bob's complaints will fall on deaf ears, since WB doesn't give a shit about anything besides money, and they're not even all that good at predicting what will make money.
Sad but true...and you could actually apply this to ALL companies since the recent trend seems to be to redo everything that is "safe" enough to make money. See: All the grey-brown shooters.