The Big Picture: Enough With The Batman Already!

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Outside of the proposed Justice League movie itself, I definitely don't want to see any more Batman for a while.

I think Batman works best in a Justice League story when his role as a detective and driver of fancy cars and planes is emphasized over his punching people in the face. The problem is that very few Batman writers seem to understand that 'detective' does not mean 'has a fancy computer machine that tells him the answers to everything', so we rarely see Batman do anything that makes him appear particularly good at detecting and figuring things out.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
Loved the hero intros bit but with with alien jesus and green alien jesus don't we need a mecha jesus to round things out:)

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
T3hSource said:
synobal said:
I'd just like a Batman Beyond movie is that too much to ask?
There is an animated movie of Batman Beyond with the Joker if I'm not mistaken.
Batman Beyond was cool, I'd like it if they gave us back Terry's Batman and applied a few more modern twists and actually used to setting's potential.
I guess I should of qualified it by saying a nonanimated movie. The Batman Beyond is like the one alternative batman setting/character they could tap reasonably well and expect mass appeal too. Not like Gaslight Batman or ya know the dozens of other batmans.

Hindkjaer

Sep 15, 2010
This whole discussion won't matter (hopefully) after "Man of steel", where the masses will cry for more superman..

And in the end when WB give Zack Snyder the GO-ahead to just make awesome comic-book movies, we will have a "NERD-OFF" Between him and Joss Whedon :) And it will be glorious :D

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
They could continue Batman's character from the Arkham Assylum and Arkham City games. They don't have to make another Batman movie to introduce him, just drop some references in the JL movie. Plus, spoiler warming even though the game is old by now, the Joker dies at the end of the second game, so there's a good reason why he won't have to show up anymore.

I know I've bitched about Arkham City's combination of plot and world building making me dislike Batman and cheer for the villains. But still, it's a decent enough springboard for the movie. Just scale back the grim and grittyness a bit from Arkham City. That, or not expect me to cheer for the heroes as they keep to their boyscout-attitudes despite its utter failure up to this point.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
Personally, I don't think they should make a justice league movie unless they're going to really go for it. They should put the money into doing a good Green lantern movie, an actually Wonder woman movie and hell why not try doing Aquaman. I hear he's a pirate now and pirates are cool

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Desert Punk said:
Batman is pretty much the only interesting hero in DCs primary stable though! The second most interesting would be Wonder Woman, but Superman is too good at everything boring, The flash runs fast boring, Aquaman is Aquaman, boring.

If they had to give Batman a break, I would much rather watch a Wonderwoman movie.
Part of your argument for finding Batman to be the only interesting DC hero (outside of the Vertigo imprint?) is that Superman is 'too good at everything'?

No. Superman's powers include super strength, speed, flight, and invulnerability. Batman's power is being too good at everything. He's functionally the most overpowered and unrealistic character in DC's entire catalog, and he's ostensibly supposed to be a normal human. Maybe he's human on paper, never in plot. He's the one hero that makes every alien and demigod quake in their boots.

Batman's ridiculous power of being Batman is the whole point of Grant Morrison's recent run in Batman & Robin, which has Dick Grayson attempting to fill in for Bruce Wayne (while babysitting Bruce's psychotic assassin of a son).

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I was trying to think about what villain WB could bring to the table that could be powerful enough to take on the entire Justice League... and the only thing I came up with is Darkseid, And Batman dealing with Darkseid would be like nipples on a Batsuit-unnecessary, as well as outclassed. The only way I could see that working is if Darkseid decided to infiltrate the Earth first, using Granny Goodness and Glorious Godfrey and Batman is investigating their activities and learns that they aren't human, so he has something to do while the other heroes go after more of the other characters and Darkseid himself.

Yeah, I know, it sucks. But it's an idea. Anyone got any other ideas for a villain that can take on the entire Justice League?

Captcha: It's Super Delicious. Well, we hope so...

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
A Wonder Woman movie would be amazing as long as they did it well. I'm not really invested in any comic book characters besides her and Batman though, so I dunno.

Desert Punk said:
Batman is pretty much the only interesting hero in DCs primary stable though! The second most interesting would be Wonder Woman, but Superman is too good at everything boring, The flash runs fast boring, Aquaman is Aquaman, boring.

If they had to give Batman a break, I would much rather watch a Wonderwoman movie.
This is basically my perception, as a non-fan.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
LadyRhian said:
I was trying to think about what villain WB could bring to the table that could be powerful enough to take on the entire Justice League... and the only thing I came up with is Darkseid, And Batman dealing with Darkseid would be like nipples on a Batsuit-unnecessary, as well as outclassed.

Quick question: Do you know who Batman is? Due to writers compensating for putting the guy in a batsuit on a team with demigods, Batman has become the most feared and ruthless hero of DC's entire roster. His power is being the goddamn Batman.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I agree with you.
But as someone who was sick to death of zombies years ago ... I can tell you no, no one will care

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Remember that Wonder Woman show.. which had one episode that was so awful that they didn't finish it, let alone air it?

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
... no one's addressing the other elephant in the room?

CAN WE GET A GOOD FREAKING WONDER WOMAN PROPERTY, PLEASE? JUST... ANYTHING. MOVIE. TV SHOW. CARTOON. FLASH ANIMATION. LITERALLY ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE SCRAPS WE'VE GOTTEN, PLEASE.