The Big Picture: Fair Game

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
SilverUchiha said:
What if I happen to agree with this video, but I find many of your other videos as something I can't agree with (not all, just a good number of them). Does that make me a fanboy? Because I'm not sure how your logic applies to this situation.
Are you referring to the joke at the end of the video? The one that referenced his point throughout the rest of the video?

But I agree. There have been some points where I disagree with Bob, but it's always nice to hear his side of things.

Spydiggity

Feb 28, 2010
While i do agree with bob for most of this video, i will say this: If you say killzone 2 is good, you ARE most likely a ps3 fanboy. that game is pure shit.

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
I'm gonna have to say i disagree.

I'm mean i've seen manymanymanymanymany people be called fanboy but i've only seen like two be bothered by it.

If anything most debate i've seen on forums and the like has been very black and white with people frequently saying X is the best thing 'evar' and that everyone else can stfu.

I'm not sure anyone over 12 cares if they are called a fanboy any more, or at least i don't.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Sorry to say it, Bob, but even with a good 14 years of history on the internet, frequenting gaming forums, roleplaying forums, LARP forums, science fiction forums, writing forums, political discussion forums all in German, English, French and Chinese, I have no bloody idea what you are talking about.

That is, actually I do, but I can't believe it to be half as much of an issue. Certainly, hyperbole makes something more obvious, but come on - the cases you are talking about are this:

Set in a specific video game's forum directly after release, some people are critical of the released product. They voice their opinion and are passed off by those who disagree. Words are used that end up dividing the community into two camps, essentially: haters and fanboys.
However for every person making this distinction, there is at least one person "internet savvy" (the internet's equivalent to TVTropes' GenreSavvy) to spot exactly this behavior. For everyone dividing the community in black and white, there is someone denouncing all those who do so.

All in all, I can see where the view that people tend to take many opinions as a personal attack on themselves or their loved hobby comes from, but in the past view years, this no longer holds true. Certainly, it might be because I usually hold a very agnostic opinion on everything (meaning: my standard stance IS essentially "Fair Treatment", because I would not presume to judge one over another due to lack of information or because I simply think people forcing the debate on issues of preference are not worth my time), but that is my good right, is it not?

Actually, that last paragraph did pretty much exactly what you attack in this video - it takes your statement and assumes a need to defend itself from it. Nothing wrong with that, I say. People need to remember that most of the time, it is NOT a matter of what is said, but how it is said.

Well, erm, to conclude this: Apparently, the Internet I frequent is different from the one you are on. That's perfectly fine, I guess - everyone has their own view, and mine and Movie Bob's don't agree here.

Mr_Jellyfish

Jan 11, 2011
Can someone tell me what the unholy monster-tentacle-creature that Bob flashed up on the screen was? That is a movie I have to see...

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
HankMan said:
THIS is why I like coming the escapist. We're better than this "fair play" bullshit.
And Yes, that DOES mean I'm Anti 4chan.
BIG PICTURE FAN-BOYS UNITE!
Actually, I was going to say exactly the opposite. The Escapist's "niceness" often comes with that "but wait, you didn't hear the other side out before you said you liked/hated it/something else?".

I love this place, but I very much agree with Bob. Saying we like one thing doesn't mean we hate another. Saying we hate one thing doesn't mean we hate anyone and everyone who enjoys it. And I gotta take a slight jab at the staff here, but saying we don't like an article/show on the Escapist doesn't mean we think the Escapist sucks. Also, as awesome as you guys are, surely you are aware that not all you create is gold. It's one thing to reprimand someone verbally assaulting you over content, but I've seen people get a warning/ban for saying they don't like something or even that something sucks. Yes. It sucks to hear something you made sucks. It doesn't mean it's not true and it certainly doesn't mean it doesn't hold true for at least one person/a number of people out there.

Blazeaga

Dec 10, 2010
Not trying to offend you but this video was much better then your last one and i agree completely with it, what the hell is with trolls calling people who may favor something instead of the other a fan boy!Or that thing about liking hip hop and hating rock? That is so true, good one moviebob! And yea ... i am a big picture fan boy :D

Blayze2k

Dec 16, 2009
I do suspect that you are a bit more sensitive to this issue, Bob, given your profession.
Or perhaps it's a personal thing.
I mean, its existence is not up for debate. It exists.
But I'm an opinionated bastard most of the time and I don't feel too put-upon when people accuse me of fanboyism or somesuch.

In particular, I like to disassemble people's opinions on music. Consider their frustration and inability to construct an objective point to be your reward for a job well done! ^_^

Aiedail256

Jan 21, 2011
Wow. I'd never thought of this issue this way before, but you're dead right once again, Bob. Keep it coming. :)

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Great stuff, Bob. I completely agree with you.

I've disagreed with you on more than once occasion, but God help anyone that says you don't make great, well reasoned arguments and very good videos to match.

I am now King Fanboy, no doubt!

Actually, I'm really looking forward to Green Lantern (even though I'm not happy with who was cast as Carol Ferris).

But also equally stoked about Thor and Captain America (possibly more about Thor, but that's cos I've seen the trailer!)

Bring on the summer!

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
I wont call someone out for being a fanboy if there is some criticism. a fanboy will not remotely call out issues with what they are talking about a halo fanboy will only gush about the game, failing to cite issues such as balance or the lack of penalties for team killing.

Palwador

Oct 1, 2010
The video doesn't work... it says the video is missing.

Edit
Their all like that. must be my computer...