The Big Picture: Favorite Ms. Take - Part 1

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
What the heck was wrong with writer's back then?

Well, Im glad we finally got back to basics with The Big Picture. This episode was great.

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
Your already covered this at the end of the episode but rape, attempted rape or any permination of that entire theme is really the third big storyline when it comes to female characters in pretty much all forms of fiction.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Damn you and your cliffhangers!

Good episode. I'd read about this storyline before a while back but I must've missed a few of the details since it's only now I realise how creepy and fucked up it really was.

But... it's female characters in superhero comics, and with the rare exception when they get a brilliant creative team, I'm so accustomed to them being written dreadfully it barely even registers unless they really overdo it (why hello, DC reboot!)

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
I swear, with Bob I have to clean up my brain chunks from my room every time he does one of these things. Seriously, how many times do you have to blow my mind up?

Jamane

Sep 24, 2010
dude I thought this was going to be light "COMICS ARE WEIRD" or not that was spooky

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
That was almost too much to take in... Also, congrats on the 7000+ FaceBook likes on the last video!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait... so after she gave birth to her son/ lover, she carry on the relationship with the son/lower????

I take it the readers were too confused by the ordeal to actually be offended to form an angry mob during that time.

While I do know what happen to her next but I don't know how she got back as a mainstream character so I will be looking forward to next week.

May 5, 2010
OK, couple of things about this video:

1. Goddamnit, Bob, your show is called "The Big Picture". TALK ABOUT BIG PICTURE STUFF. I mean, a comics episode is fine every now and then, but come on! The only reason it's been so long since you did a comics episode is that you spent the whole month of October talking about bad sci-fi movies, which is BASICALLY THE SAME GODDAMN THING. Please, just...Talk about things that actually matter more often. You're good at it.

2. I swear if I hear that motherfucking "COMICS ARE WEIRD" bit ONE MORE TIME I WILL probably just press the mute button like I did in this video. Seriously though, please stop. It's really annoying.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
OK, couple of things about this video:

1. Goddamnit, Bob, your show is called "The Big Picture". TALK ABOUT BIG PICTURE STUFF. I mean, a comics episode is fine every now and then, but come on! The only reason it's been so long since you did a comics episode is that you spent the whole month of October talking about bad sci-fi movies, which is BASICALLY THE SAME GODDAMN THING. Please, just...Talk about things that actually matter more often. You're good at it.

2. I swear if I hear that motherfucking "COMICS ARE WEIRD" bit ONE MORE TIME I WILL probably just press the mute button like I did in this video. Seriously though, please stop. It's really annoying.
well aren't you mister cranky pants, but ya, one topic I would like for him to talk about is mlp:fim, or the hub channel really, and tell us if he is a brony or not....

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Sometimes I get the impression that comic book writers had and still have been hanging backwards in time.

While the world was in the 80s, they were apparently still in the 50s.
Makes me wonder where they are today while we are in the 21ths century.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Orcboyphil said:
There's also the matter of stuffing them in fridges... Ie. killing them just to get at someone else.

The site that coined the term "Women in Refrigerators" is here: http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/
Its basically a list of horrible stuff writers put their female characters through in comic books. Take a look at this one: All of Savage Dragon's girlfriends (dead)

There's some good stuff out there though. But maybe that's because the writers are women (Gail Simone's Birds of Prey, she made the site above)... or gay (Marc Andreyko's Manhunter)...