The Big Picture: Found in Translation

mlooshka

Nov 19, 2009
I've never seen any of this show - never even heard of it before The Big Picture. Will definitely have to see if I can hunt down some clips.

The story of the translation reminds me of the Magic Roundabout, a French children's program that was bought by the BBC. Ostensibly the Beeb did not receive any actual scripts when they bought the program, and so rather than pay extra to get the scripts and do a translation, they just decided to go ahead and write their own. The result is pure genius. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7LKEi9hDK0

GrungyMunchy

Nov 21, 2009
That reminded me a lot of the French translation of Dragon Ball, that is a lot different than the original and in turn made the versions in latin languages also different since they mostly translated from the French version, instead of the original version. That actually made the Portuguese version (the one I watched as a kid) a lot funnier, with references to other Portuguese TV shows and giving Portuguese accents to characters with different origins.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
this reminds me of the story behind bobo-bobobobo-bobo (or w/e) when I was part of the 91.8 the fan site, we interview the voice of Nicolas D Wolfwood. He was one of the writers for bobobo and they wern't given any notes at all. They just had to figure out what was going on in the show via watching it with no translation.

Wriggle Wyrm

Jun 15, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
That was a very informative episode Bob,
I never knew Inuyasha had a script.
Of course they had a script. One script they kept on using over and over again until the pages fell out and they had to end the series without any sort of resolution but still...

Seriously though, the DVD release sounds awesome. I tried to find this series before but only found a couple of shady and expensive vhs cassettes.

Aug 1, 2010
I love it when Bob does these!

Screw the deep issues, the open-to-opinion societal and moral problems. Sometimes it's just great to learn about an American dubbed show about Ninja cat's who deliver pizza...

Also, can someone explain this "Inuyasha" thing to me??? I never saw much of it, but what I DID see, I somewhat liked. It just seems like there are 2 competing schools of though and neither of them make any sense to me...

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Grenge Di Origin said:
DVS BSTrD said:
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
InuYasha!
Kagome!
InuYasha!
Kikyo!
Shippo!
Miroku!
Sango!
Miroku!
Harold! Shrek! Fiona! Fiona! Mom! Harold! DONKEY!
SIT BOY!
*THUD*

Cut and paste for about twenty minutes and you've got an InuYasha episode.
That's totally untrue! You forgot about
Naraku!
Sesshomaru!
DEMONS!
WIND TUNNEL!!!
WIND SCAR!
Demonic aura!
I sense a demonic aura!
WIND SCAR!
Jewel shards!
BACKLASH WAAAAAVE!!!
Hiraikotsu!

Add some generic enemies, plot elements and character archetypes you've seen a million times before, and voila!
My humblest apologies, it's been awhile since I saw the show.
It had all the symptoms that come with virtually every anime that is attached to a manga that has long reaching print runs. While they may be successful in Japan, the much shorter anime, where they have a clear idea of where it starts, goes, and ends (IE: Bebop, Black Lagoon, K-on, Sora no Woto) that do not necessarily enjoy that same level of success in Japan, are typically regarded as being better.

Unsurprisingly, with an anime that airs every single week for months on end the production values tend to take a nose dive after a while.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
I'm sad. No one else is old enough to remember the glory days of USA's Night Flight and Dynaman. "We have WATCHES!"

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I used to watch Samurai Pizza Cats religiously. My brother was all about Power Rangers. Ha. Puss. See what I did there?

I always found the Big Cheese to be really weird. Every time he went undercover as part of his schemes, he would dress in drag, complete with makeup. His weird antics and Ren Hoek-like frustrated ravings - including his tendency to blow himself up at the end of every episode out of sheer rage from a foiled plan - left an impression on me as I moved in to watching a similar "dub-spoof" show, the Most Extreme Elimination Challenge, known in Japan as Takeshi's Castle. It's a series that should be considered for an episode of The Big Picture because there's some interesting background to both series, like how Hideo Higashikokubaru (the Japanese actor who is depicted as the infamous Kenny Blankenship on mXc) went on to have a career in politics and became a governor from 2007-2011.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh man that was a nostalgia bomb for me. I used to watch that as a kid (it did aired in the UK but in odd time) and I even wake up dead early just to catch the new episode!
Yeah I kind of knew that they kind of toss away the japanese script and did their own thing. It make me wonder why they didn't hired an experience tanslater to get the basic idea of the episode plot.
Also that is also the first anime that the abridger MasakoX had watched.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Grenge Di Origin said:
Tanis said:
-Gundam anyone?
*grabs popcorn* Sure! As long as it's Turn A. Wing sucked.
What about 0079, 0080, 0083, 8th MS Team, Z, ZZ, Victory, G, After War, SEED, SEED Destiny, and 00?

But to the original guys point, Yes that is what their armor reminded me of

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
"What else might have been better if someone lost the script?"

Twilight, just throwing that out there.

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
Grenge Di Origin said:
If any of you escapists like the concept of spoof-parody dubs... watch YuGiOh Abridged. But if you want licensed parody dubs with actual professional voice actors, check out Ghost Stories:
YES! To both of this and Samurai Pizza Cats! That's how you dub otherwise banal and uninteresting anime and turn into something awesome. I actually have the Samurai Pizza Cats' last episode on VHS. That show was so awesome. You guys have no idea.

As for Inuyasha, I agree with Bob's view. That show just did the same thing over and over, every episode with nothing new happening. Definitely could've used more comedy so it didn't make me cross my eyes and drool every time I tried to watch it.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Question....... Was I dreaming or did Bob say unequivocally that he was not going to do an anime show just two weeks ago?

That seemed like an anime episode to me...

I vaguely remember that samurai pizza cats show, the back story on how that came to be is just awesome.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Sandytimeman said:
this reminds me of the story behind bobo-bobobobo-bobo (or w/e) when I was part of the 91.8 the fan site, we interview the voice of Nicolas D Wolfwood. He was one of the writers for bobobo and they wern't given any notes at all. They just had to figure out what was going on in the show via watching it with no translation.
Suddenly, that show makes a lot more sense...

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Thanks for finally doing this episode Bob! I might it amusing that the Big Cheese was a mouse/rat character in English but a fox originally. Yeah, they didn't care/know, they just went for the funny and it works so much better.

And DVDs??? ME WANTS!!!

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
marioandsonic said:
Sandytimeman said:
Suddenly, that show makes a lot more sense...
So how is it possible that you can license a Anime but cant find someone who speaks Japanese and English that can come over to your place of business and watch a show and write down the dialogue...? I'm pretty sure that finding people that speak Japanese and English should be easier than licensing a show.